The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

The Satanic Verses (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Salman Rushdie

Member:danamonty
Title:The Satanic Verses
Authors:Salman Rushdie
Info:The Viking Press (1989), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (1988)

Recently added byChale, EverettPantaloons, private library, leroys, jtodd1973, dbenjam, reganrule, tyler_durden_pt, twp77, BlackwellB
Legacy LibrariesSusan Sontag
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (BGP, ateolf)
    Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (BGP)
    Mr Pye by Mervyn Peake (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Deals with religion and includes physical transformation of characters.
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (BGP)

English (75)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (80)
I really liked the beginning of the novel, but it does get kind of gross and weird- not for the faint-hearted. Well written, engaging, terrifying. You can see why it was banned. ( )
  Inky500 | Jun 14, 2014 |
Ok, I'll admit, this is the second book of Rushdie's I've hacked my way through, & while this one was more tolerable than the last one I read, it was every bit as conflicting & confusing. The characters were more caricatures than characters, & I found it very hard to identify with them. While the general premise of the book, 2 men falling out of the sky after their plane is blown up by terrorists & miraculously surviving is interesting, I found the rest of the book, about their transformations into one, a form of the archangel Gabriel, while the other transforms into a strange satyr like creature, reminiscent of the Christian view of the Devil, but based more correctly on the even older representation of the Nature god Pan, extremely odd. All of this overlaid with the sublife of the Indian culture in England, and the Hindi mythos, left me wondering what the hell the author was REALLY striving to say. I certainly saw NOTHING Satanic about this book, & saw no reason for him to have had death threats placed against him when the book first came out. All in all, it was just weird ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
So, this was the best book I've read for a long time. I'm putting it down after one read, realizing that there's so much more to wring out of it. More importantly, I actually want to. Having little patience for weightier literature, this was a big deal for me. Highly recommend. ( )
  pdesjardins | Mar 4, 2014 |
The Satanic Verses was structured a fair bit like Max Havelaar. While naturally it's approached from quite a different perspective, it shares even a similar ironic, satirical tone. In short, both are worth reading for very different, yet related reasons.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
When this book was first published back in 1988, I was five, so all I know about the controversy is from what I picked in later years. Still, I know there were (are?) a lot of things going on about this book, so when I saw it at a thrift-store, I just had to pick it up to see what the fuss was about. Later on I found that this book could be classified as 'magical realism', one of my favorite genres, which made me pick it up from Mount TBR somewhat faster than usual.
It was hard for me to get into this story, because it took me a while to understand (enough, never completely) what was going on. We have our two main characters, two Indian men, Gibreel Farishta and Saladin Chamcha. Gibreel is a Bollywood actor in India, Saladin is a voice actor in England. They meet on a plane from India to London which crashes, with them falling down to earth and surviving. However Gibreel is or imagines himself to be the Archangel Gibreel, and Saladin is or is turning into a devil. For the archangel Gibreel we also see the flashbacks that he sees, of his visits to Mahound (Mohammed) when he is receiving his visions which are written in the koran. One of these visions is the source of the title of the book, the Satanic Verses.
The story was very confusing to me, and it took me a (long) while to get into it and enjoy the story. In the end though, I really enjoyed the story and the ideas of Rushdie in the book. I found it harder to write this review, to formulate my thought about the book, than reading and liking it. Four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Jan 26, 2014 |
Talent? Not in question. Big talent. Ambition? Boundless ambition. Salman Rushdie is a storyteller of prodigious powers, able to conjure up whole geographies, causalities, climates, creatures, customs, out of thin air. Yet, in the end, what have we? As a display of narrative energy and wealth of invention, ''The Satanic Verses'' is impressive. As a sustained exploration of the human condition, it flies apart into delirium.

Salman Rushdieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Capriolo, EttoreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Satan, being thus confined to a vagabond, wandering, unsettled condition, is without any certain abode; for though he has, in consequence of his angelic nature, a kind of empire in the liquid waste or air, yet this is certainly part of his punishment, that he is... without any fixed place, or space, allowed him to rest the sole of his foot upon." ~ daniel defoe, the history of the devil
Dedicated to the individuals and organizations who have supported this publication.
"To be born again " sang Gibreel Farishta tumbling from the heavens, "first you have to die."
If you live in the twentieth century you do not find it hard to see yourself in those, more desperate than yourself, who seek to shape it to their will.

A tale of two men/human angel and demon/amazing writing!  (ReadWriteLib)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312270828, Paperback)

No book in modern times has matched the uproar sparked by Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, which earned its author a death sentence. Furor aside, it is a marvelously erudite study of good and evil, a feast of language served up by a writer at the height of his powers, and a rollicking comic fable. The book begins with two Indians, Gibreel Farishta ("for fifteen years the biggest star in the history of the Indian movies") and Saladin Chamcha, a Bombay expatriate returning from his first visit to his homeland in 15 years, plummeting from the sky after the explosion of their jetliner, and proceeds through a series of metamorphoses, dreams and revelations. Rushdie's powers of invention are astonishing in this Whitbread Prize winner.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:41 -0400)

Gibreel Farishta, India's legendary movie star, and Saladin Chamcha, the man of a thousand voices, fall earthward from a bombed jet toward the sea, singing rival verses in an eternal wrestling match between good and evil.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible