Before I Met You by Lisa Jewell

Before I Met You

by Lisa Jewell

1419125,569 (3.76)4

I've read a couple of Lisa Jewell books over the past 18 months, and each one has been different. She is very good at writing characters with depth, and the stories are believable in an unbelievable way (if you know what I mean...narratives in books are always a little unbelievable, else why would we read them??)

Before I Met You was a really gripping story. Arlette's journey through 1920s London was fascinating and I really wanted to know more about her story. Betty's search also helped the narrative run like a fast flowing tide too. That said, the Amy and Dom storyline was a stretch too far for me, but I can see why it was there. However, I do think that the narrative would still have held without it being there, or if she was employed by an equally eccentric divorced couple.

If you are a fan of Jewell it is definitely one to read. If not, it's still worth a look, even if her geographical knowledge of the channel islands is a little off! ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
Wonderful story of women during different times. ( )
  ennie | Nov 5, 2018 |
Betty narration 1995 and Arlette, Betty's grandmother, narration from 1920. They live on Island of Guernsey but both moved to London during the late teen years. The story is about what happens to them in London during the 90's Britpop era and the 20's Jazz Age. Arlette left an inheritance for her son and Betty but also for a Clara Pickle. But who is Clara? Betty will find out while living in London. ( )
  EadieB | Sep 1, 2018 |
Good but not the best by this author. I would say the stories don't meld together as well as I would have hoped between the two time periods. The story is quite slow in parts and although the writing is very evocative of a young girl going to the big city it is not an engaging as I would have hoped ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
Nothing like a JoJo Moyes comment on the cover to make me want to read something---and I agree---this was a beautiful story and I loved how it jumped back and forth in time to try and solve the basic mystery in the book--from 1920 to 1995. ( )
  nyiper | Jun 25, 2015 |

In Jazz Age London, a tale of a passionate and forbidden interracial romance, and the unbreakable bond between a bright young woman and her eccentric grandmother, unfolds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,498,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible