The Starry Wisdom: A Tribute to H.P.…

The Starry Wisdom: A Tribute to H.P. Lovecraft (1994)

by D. M. Mitchell

Other authors: J. G. Ballard (Contributor), John Beal (Contributor), C. G. Brandrick (Contributor), William S. Burroughs (Contributor), Ramsey Campbell (Contributor)19 more, David Conway (Contributor), John Coulthart (Illustrator), Michael Gira (Contributor), Adèle Olivia Gladwell (Contributor), Rick Grimes (Contributor), James Havoc (Contributor), Dan Kellett (Contributor), D. F. Lewis (Contributor), H. P. Lovecraft (Contributor), Brian Lumley, Alan Moore (Contributor), Grant Morrison (Contributor), Mike Philbin (Illustrator), Robert M. Price (Contributor), Stephen Sennitt (Contributor), Peter Smith (Contributor), Don Webb (Contributor), Henry Wessels (Contributor), Simon Whitechapel (Contributor)

I picked this up and read it a while ago. It was originally published in 1995 by Creation Books, and I got a reprinted edition. Likely it is familiar to most long time mythos fans. The cost then was less than $14.00, plus shipping. Based on what I thought about it they should have paid me a similar amount to take it off their hands. Production qualities were good.

Mostly it was a terrible mish mash of poorly written drivel. The bulk of it was so bad that it tainted the rest for me. For some reason the authors seem to think that using various words for body orifices is cutting edge.

The only reason I can think of for anyone to buy it is the graphic version of Call of Cthulhu by John Coulthart. And even this was maddening! The artwork was exquisite, but it was presented in very cramped panels. Enalarging this work to a few pictures or even one picture per page would have been worth every extra penny I had to pay. As it was, the 2 page depiction or R'lyeh could not be laid out to really enjoy without breaking the spine of the book. The fantastic details were lost in the tiny panels. What a disappointment! Maybe someday someone will reprint Mr. Coulthart's work in a more convivial form.

Other than that I can honest to goodness think of no reason that I want to reread any of it. Maybe I will try the Lumley and Campbell works again some day. They were lost in the haze. Price's story about Shub Niggurath was better than his usual product but isalso available in the Shub Niggurath Cycle, as well as Blasphemies and Revelations. Mainly because I'm a maniac I recently got Song of the Black Worm Gism by the same creative team and so far have found it impenetrable.

Spend your Cthulhu bucks elsewhere, gang ( )
1 vote carpentermt | Sep 15, 2010 |

Smith, PeterContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Webb, DonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wessels, HenryContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whitechapel, SimonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contemporary visions of cosmic transformation, mutations and madness - many inspired directly by the life and writings of H.P. Lovecraft, others reflecting his strangely presentient themes in their own bizarre sub-texts. Here the primal beings of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos stalk a post-modern landscape of social collapse, ethnic cleansing, genetic engineering and nuclear devastation - nightmare prophecies from his pulp pages which have now come chillingly true. This oft maligned genius here receives the retrospective that has for so long been his due.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,498,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible