Advanced Automotive Welding (Pro Series)

Advanced Automotive Welding (Pro Series)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although no one in my household works on automobiles as either a vocation or avocation, Advanced Automotive Welding by Jerry Uttrachi has become a valuable addition to our home library. My husband is an artist who works in several media, one being sculpture. He has done welded outdoor sculptures over the years and is already learning new techniques from this book to utilize in his next projects.

Even as a non-welder, this book has caught my imagination because I had not realized the breath and depth of processes and techniques involved in welding and am grateful for having been given a review copy via Library Thing. It has created a new appreciation for the craft and those who weld. I now know there that are several major and distinct types of welding: oxyacetylene (probably the first and oldest popular techniques), TIG, stick, and MIG. He also covers the cutting techniques necessary to automotive (or sculptural) fabrication: oxyfuel and plasma cutting. Each has both advantages and disadvantages depending upon your needs and abilities and Uttrachi makes sure you understand them. He not only includes overview commentary, but also clear photographs and instructions. There is also brief coverage of plasma gouging and laser cutting.

I also learned that there are hundreds of joint types involved in welding. Uttrachi covers the major divisions: butt, and structural tubular. In addition, he discusses the advantages and uses of each variation within those basic divisions. What both my husband and I appreciated is Uttrachi's emphasis on safety and application - he not only tells you what and how, but discusses the why of particulars aspects of welding.

This is more than just a how-to book, it seems to us to include comprehensive coverage on materials, equipment, and techniques to maximize the likelihood of success and safety. It has certainly deepened my appreciation for how integral proper welding is the safety and advanced design of automobiles. I am even considering having my husband teach me basic welding because this book has dispelled the mystery and created an interest in transforming metal into useful design, be it in automotive or purely aesthetic art. ( )
  kssunflower | Apr 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a very new welder, just starting out. This book was amazing, giving techniques, pictures, and (most valuable for me) the reasons WHY to do or not do something a particular way, so I can take those lessons and apply the rules to all sorts of projects. Although written as "Advanced Automotive" advice (which it provided) there was a lot of great information for welders of all (or no) skill level and application type. I am very glad to have this in my library! ( )
  jegka | Mar 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was so glad to receive this book! My son is taking classes at our local college, and welding is one of them. This book will be very helpful in his studies....that is, if he can get it away from my husband! ;) They have book looked over the book, and agree that it is one of the best. ( )
  vonlafin | Jan 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
By far one of the most comprehensive and easy to understand welding books I have read. With wonderful photographs, safety information, and instructions for a variety of welding techniques, this is the only book a beginning welder needs to be successful without maiming oneself. ( )
  quilted_kat | Oct 18, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a perfect resource for my heavy equipment mechanic/shop guy and my teenage welder. Both found this book to be filled with informative illustrations and explanations.

Here's what he liked best about the book:
Illustrations support the text and show how each project can be accomplished.
Covers the basics but it also shows more advanced welding techniques in a easy to understand way.
It shows the pros and cons of different kinds of welds helping explain things further.

Overall we would recommend this book for anyone interested in learning more about welding in an auto shop. ( )
  harmonyartmom | Oct 12, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Advanced Automotive Welding was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible