Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys:…

Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lisa Alther

Member:knightlight777
Title:Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance
Authors:Lisa Alther
Info:Lyons Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance by Lisa Alther (2012)

The book covers the central themes of what precipitated the feud between the Hatfields & McCoys along with related topics of other feuds and cultural issues in the Appalachian areas of West Virginia and Kentucky. Lisa Alther a distant descendant of some that participated in the feud.

My interest in this topic stemmed from the recent History Channel series on the feud which I thoroughly enjoyed and felt was the best TV made history drama I had ever seen. Althers' book fairly closely parallels the incidents shown in the TV series and appears to be as close to the truth of the real events as we have. I say this because as Alther indicates in the book many versions and sub-versions have been spun over the years from varying partisans caught up in the feud. The reality of what occurred will never be known for complete certainty but I trust that the story here and the History Channel series are probably fairly accurate.

Stemming from an original murder and escalated by all things the trial of a pig theft the feud builds over many years involving many people who find their demise. Interestingly enough the two central family patriarch combatants, Ranel McCoy and "Devil" Anse Hatfield survive the feud and live to old age and natural deaths. Another interesting piece of information coming from the book is that this was far from the deadliest feud in body count. It gains its notoriety from the many subplots and early press coverage. Altogether an easy and fascinating read from an accomplished author. ( )
  knightlight777 | Dec 25, 2012 |
I was excited to read this book because of the super hype the mini series got. Unfortunately, if I would have read this first, not sure if I would agree about all the hype. At times it was very hard to read because there was so many people involved. It was more of a family tree than it was a story. There was alot of hear says rather than what really happened. Of course, we all know how hear say works. It is going to be inflated. Wish this was more of a story that was easier to follow ( )
  codinick | Dec 14, 2012 |
A fine enough book on one of the most famous feuds in American history. No coincidence that this was released around the time of the mini-series that came out is there? I found it informative and enjoyed the linear approach to the story and despite the narrative being a little too informal it somehow kind of works. Feels a little padded the last 100 pages or so, and I am not sure yet how I feel about the whole "scientific" approach in the Corsica chapter, but okay I can see that angle. There aren't a lot of modern books on the subject, this one is pretty good for those just jumping in. ( )
  noblechicken | Oct 1, 2012 |
I found this to be a very good book. It was engrossing and easy to read. Ms.Alther was very through in her research, and I liked the fact she included other feuds from the area. I was glad to see she was fair to the Hatfields being that I am from WV. She was a little preachy toward the end but overall a good book. ( )
  Philip100 | Jun 19, 2012 |
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.
- Oscar Wilde
For Ava, who inspired this project and enriches my life
(Introduction) I don't know when I first heard about the Hatfield-McCoy feud; I can't recall ever not knowing about it.
He lay in a forest cave, shivering with fever and coughing in the smoke from the smoldering fire.

America's most notorious family feud began in 1865 with the murder of a Harmon McCoy, a Union soldier, by a Confederate Hatfield. But Southern grudges run long and deep. More than a decade later tempers flared over stolen hogs. This accusation triggered years of bloody violence and retribution that led to a tragic Romeo-and-Juliet interlude, a Supreme Court ruling, and a public hanging. The final feud trial took place in 1898, but the rivalry didn't end there. Its legend continues to have an enormous impact on the popular imagination and the people of the region. Here is a fascinating new look at the infamous story of the Hatfields and the McCoys.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:48 -0400)

A fascinating new look at the infamous story of the Hatfields and the McCoys and their blood feud that began in 1865 with the murder of Harmon McCoy, a Union soldier, by a Confederate Hatfield relative.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,978,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible