Found in Translation: How Language Shapes…

by Nataly Kelly, Jost Zetzsche

Member:maritimer
Title:Found in Translation: How Language Shapes Our Lives and Transforms the World
Authors:Nataly Kelly
Other authors:Jost Zetzsche
Info:Perigee Trade (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012
Rating:**1/2

Found in Translation: How Language Shapes Our Lives and Transforms the World by Nataly Kelly

English (5)  Italian (1)  All languages (6)
I heard an interview with authors Kelly and Zetzsche on NPR. They were smart and engaging, so I read their book. Unfortunately, I found it thin: it's primarily a collection of anecdotes and case studies illustrating the importance of translation in the modern world. While many of the stories are mildly interesting—who knew that many think IKEA's practice of naming high-end items after Swedish places and lowly items (doormats, toilet seats) after Danish places is viewed by many as an obvious way of tweaking the Danes?—if you come to the book already understanding that translation is important and makes an impact, the repeated attempts to persuade you of that will quickly become wearying. I'd recommend this book to people who do not work with words for a living and who have not traveled much in non-English-speaking countries: the issues the book discusses may be new to you. ( )
  john.cooper | Oct 1, 2013 |
An interesting book about translating and translators. Translating is vital to our world culture and economy. Some compnies spend a fair amount of money making sure that their marketing words are correctly interpreted in the another language, so that their products sell, and no disasters in misinterpretation come about along the way. Both authors have a lot of stories to tell, and many are either fun to read or they illuminate things we don't often think about (idioms can't always be translated well). The last chapter spends time on where the world is vis-a-vis computer translations, and how big websites like Twitter and Wikipedia deal with translation. ( )
  vpfluke | Jul 28, 2013 |
When translators and interpreters are doing their jobs well, they are invisible. That's the goal: to seamlessly transfer information from one language to another, adapting as necessary to fit the target language's grammar, syntax and cultural aspects. So it's easy to take translation for granted. This book does a very good job of highlighting just how prevalent translation and interpretation are in the world and just how many opportunities there are for budding language professionals. (Basically, there are translation opportunities in pretty much any subject field, and if people from two different language groups want to have a conversation, there's a need for interpretation.) Along the way we also get plenty of anecdotes about bizarre situations interpreters find themselves in and clever solutions to some tricky translation problems. And of course no translation book would be complete without tales of translation and interpretation gone wrong. There are plenty of those here!

I found this a very quick and easy read. I'd intended to dip in and out of it over a couple of days but ended up tearing through it in an afternoon. The anecdotes frequently prompted roars of laughter, and the authors have a smooth, conversational writing style that propels you along. It's a fun glimpse into the world of translation, and I do mean world: there are plenty of anecdotes from around the globe, covering a variety of languages. Recommended if you're interested in language and translation, especially if linguistic gaffes tickle your funnybone. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 19, 2013 |
I heard Found in Translation coauthor Nataly Kelly interviewed, and having found some of her translation examples quite interesting, I bought the book. Then I discovered that the book consists of nothing but these examples of where translation has an impact. Dozens of standalone examples are strung together consecutively, each essentially unrelated and unconnected to the other. Much time went into this book in the form of interviews and research, but the authors make no effort to synthesize the content into a larger coherent story about "how language shapes our lives and transforms the world". Nor do they weight topics to reflect their transformative potential. Google Translate gets the same airtime as translating opera. No matter how upbeat and chatty the authors' style, a list of examples is still just a list of examples, and a read that could have led us on a fascinating journey, ends up being a milk run instead. ( )
2 vote maritimer | Dec 15, 2012 |
A good book for people to learn about translation and why it is important. This book would likely be enjoyed by people with an interest in translation but no real knowledge of the field. Translators can enjoy it as a light read, nodding their heads knowingly at the stories and the repercussions certain actions had, but it doesn't really offer new information. ( )
1 vote alwayslost | Nov 5, 2012 |

Nataly Kellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zetzsche, Jostmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crystal, DavidForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to translators
and interpreters everywhere.
Because of you, the world communicates.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039953797X, Paperback)

Translation affects every aspect of your life - and we're not just talking about the obvious things, like world politics and global business.

Translation affects you personally, too. The books you read. The movies you watch. The food you eat. Your favorite sports team. The opinions you hold dear. The religion you practice. Even your looks and, yes, your love life. Right this very minute, translation is saving lives, perhaps even yours.

Translation influences everything from holy books to hurricane warnings, poetry to Pap smears. It's needed by both the masses and the millionaires. Translation converts the words of dictators and diplomats, princes and pop stars, bus drivers and baseball players. Translation fuels the global economy, prevents wars, and stops the outbreak of disease. From tummy tucks to terrorist threats, it's everywhere.

This book will help you see how the products you use, the freedoms you enjoy, and the pleasures in which you partake are made possible by translation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:40 -0400)

"Found in translation reveals the surprising and complex ways that translation shapes the world. Covering everything from holy books to hurricane warnings and poetry to peace treaties, Nataly Kelly and Jost Zetzsche offer language lovers and pop culture fans alike an insider's view of the ways in which translation spreads culture, fuels the global economy, prevents wars, and stops the outbreak of disease, with examples that include how translation plays a key role at Google, NASA, the United Nations, the World Cup, and more"-- Back cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,922,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible