The Memory Thief: A Novel by Emily Colin

The Memory Thief: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Emily Colin

Member:punxsygal
Title:The Memory Thief: A Novel
Authors:Emily Colin
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Finished, Colorado, friendship, loss

The Memory Thief: A Novel by Emily Colin

This book had potential but turned out to be disappointing. The story line was just too far-fetched to be believable. The characters lacked depth and the authors attempts at humor fell flat over and over. ( )
  sskinsey | Jul 28, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ok I admit it....I couldn't get myself to finish this book. I picked it up several times only to put it back down after reading a few pages. The premise of the story is interesting but the writing was disappointing. The book has a nice picture on the cover and a great title but you can't judge a book by it's cover and this book is no exception. ( )
  novellover10 | Jun 3, 2013 |

Loved the book. Could not put it down. Will read this author's next book. Loved the characters. A must read!!!
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
I liked the author's writing style, but Maddie's passivity got on my nerves after a while and I didn't like the coy-yet-graphic sex scenes, although this does seem to be standard for chick-lit books. And in other places the prose seemed overblown. Case in point: "He licked first water and then sweat from my skin, drinking us in, and I felt my clenched heart reveal itself like a moonflower, that pale mysterious bloom that opens only at night."

Just not my cup of tea. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
That cover! That Blurb! That Title! OMG. What is there not to love about sitting down to read this book?

While I'm a veteran of these types of novels...I really haven't read one yet where one of the main characters dies on a mountain during an avalanche. It was heartbreaking to see Aidan die like that while Madeline tries to reclaim her life, sanity and heart afterwards.

Although a bit predictable...there was something comforting and pleasant about reading a book like this. You know what to expect. Tears, laughter, sadness and hope. It's all present in this novel by Colin and again, I'm impressed by her way with words.

I can't wait to read more for Colin! ( )
  hankesj | Jan 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034553039X, Paperback)

In Emily Colin’s exquisite debut novel, perfect for the fans of Kristin Hannah, one man’s vow to his wife sparks a remarkable journey that tests the pull of memory and reaffirms the bonds of love.

Before Madeleine Kimble’s mountaineer husband, Aidan, climbs Mount McKinley’s south face, he makes her a solemn vow: I will come back to you. But late one night, Maddie gets the devastating news that Aidan has died in an avalanche, leaving her to care for their son—a small boy with a very big secret. The call comes from J.C., Aidan’s best friend and fellow climber, whose grief is seasoned with survivor’s guilt . . . and something more. J.C. has loved Maddie for years, but he never wanted his chance with her to come at so terrible a cost.

“Dazzlingly original and as haunting as a dream, Emily Colin’s mesmerizing debut explores the way memory, love, and great loss bind our lives together in ways we might never expect. From its audacious opening to its knockout last pages, I was enthralled.”—Caroline Leavitt, New York Times bestselling author of Pictures of You

“In The Memory Thief, love itself is a character, able to transcend all natural boundaries to find its way home, or learn to let go. Emily Colin writes about loss with heartbreaking conviction, and yet there is a knowing sweetness at the core of this richly emotional tale. Here is a lovely, self-assured debut from a writer to watch.”—Joshilyn Jackson, New York Times bestselling author of A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:17 -0400)

Before Madeleine Kimble's mountaineer husband, Aidan, climbs Mount McKinley's south face, he makes her a solemn vow: I will come back to you. But late one night, Maddie gets the devastating news that Aidan has died in an avalanche, leaving her to care for their son--a small boy with a very big secret. The call comes from J.C., Aidan's best friend and fellow climber, whose grief is seasoned with survivor's guilt and something more. J.C. has loved Maddie for years, but he never wanted his chance with her to come at so terrible a cost. Across the country, Nicholas Sullivan wakes from a motorcycle crash with his memory wiped clean. Yet his dreams are haunted by visions of a mysterious woman and a young boy, neither of whom he has ever met. Convinced that these strangers hold the answers he seeks, Nicholas leaves everything behind to find them. What he discovers will require a leap of faith that will change all of their lives forever.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Memory Thief by Emily Colin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,300,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible