Limits of Language by Mikael Parkvall

Limits of Language (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Mikael Parkvall

Member:hnn
Title:Limits of Language
Authors:Mikael Parkvall
Info:Battlebridge Publications (2006), Paperback
Tags:linguistics

Limits of Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know about Language and Languages by Mikael Parkvall (2006)

English (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (2)
Definitively everything (and more) I didn't know I didn't know about languages. And one of the most beautiful Douglas Adams-non-quotes I have ever read:

"Kiowa uses a curious way of number marking somtimes referred to as "inversive marking". The same morpheme, in Kiowa -go indicates singular or plural depending on which number is the least expected." (p. 305)

So the book would deserve 5 stars but I had to reduce one of them due to the redundant use of exclamation marks! ( )
  Georg.Miggel | May 15, 2010 |

"Presents a wide variety of information on world languages, focusing on comparisons. Topics include histories of languages, language and society, language learning, language structure, and misconceptions about language"--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,621,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible