NIV, Once-A-Day Bible: Chronological…

NIV, Once-A-Day Bible: Chronological Edition, Paperback

by Zondervan

122768,668 (5)None

The NIV Once a Day Bible is a great concept, not only is it chronologically arranged, but it is also divided into 365 daily readings. Last year our church went through the Bible in a year using a chronological reading plan. Though it was really neat to be reading it chronologically, it was a bit tiring flipping back and forth to the different texts for each individual day. Then I started reviewing Bibles that were already chronologically arranged, and that helped a lot. Some, or all of them, had one year Bible reading plans listed in the back of the Bible; this Bible is neat in that it is already arranged that way so you don't have to flip to the back of the book, you just read until the next 'Day' heading. It would be nice if they would come out with a hardcover edition as the softcover feels a bit flimsy.

At the end of each day's readings, there are little reflective paragraphs at the end, talking about what you've just read. Some are pretty good, others…not so much. For instance, one of them, speaking of God's planned future mercy to Israel in spite of their sin, the comment is made, "God is still planning and dreaming. He never gives up." First, that statement sounds too irreverential(God has 'dreams' not fixed plans?), makes God seem as though He is not sovereign, and finally, almost implies that there is no Hell. How is that? Well, the statement, "He never gives up" implies that He will never judge sinners who are not in Christ, but we know from God's Word that He will, and it is His choice when He will do so. His patience does have an end, the judgment is coming.

But, aside from some things like the above, this chronological Bible is a great tool to keep yourself in the Word. Oh, and I want to mention that I appreciate that this chronological arrangement has all of the prophecies of Isaiah before the exile and the return of Israel under Cyrus. One chronological Bible I reviewed had the prophecies of Cyrus given at the time of Cyrus simply because God had Isaiah state his name in the prophecy, the arrangers seemed to think that God couldn't know what Cyrus's name was before he came on the scene. I appreciate that the arrangers for this Bible acknowledged God's sovereignty and accuracy in prophecy.

I received this book from the BookLook bloggers program in exchange for a review(my review did not have to be favorable)
  SnickerdoodleSarah | Apr 13, 2016 |
Title: NIV Once a Day Bible (Chronological Edition)
Pages: 1280
Year: 2011
Publisher: Tyndale
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/NIV-Once---Day-Bible-Chronological/dp/0310950953/ref=sr_1_...
Reading the Bible in chronological order is a great way to get a close view of how God worked in special ways and in unordinary times. I love reading the Bible in this way as it helps me understand how it came to us in respective time periods. This NIV Bible has no notes at the bottom, a few footnotes, but nothing to distract readers from focusing on reading and hearing from God through His Word.
There are no specific dates for readers to become entangled in. The reader can pick up the Bible and begin “Day 1” anytime of the year. In the beginning of the Bible is a section called Getting to Know God with many helps to teach or guide us in growing closer to the Lord. The print is a size that makes for easy reading and since the pages are not crowded with many notes or other print, I can focus on what is happening in the pages I am reading.
Perhaps you might consider getting a copy for yourself and someone else. There is nothing like reading with a friend or family member, to encourage the accountability that keeps all of us putting one foot in front of another. A friend of mine and I read through the Word, encouraging each other and talking about what we read that day. We enjoy it a lot!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Oct 2, 2014 |

The NIV Once-A-Day Bible helps you encounter the Bible every day in a new and fresh way. It organizes the clear and accessible NIV Bible into 365 daily readings from both the Old and New Testaments, plus a Psalm or a Proverb, so that you can practice the spiritual discipline of daily Bible reading within a new and different context.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,990,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible