The Lighthouse Road: A Novel by Peter Geye

The Lighthouse Road: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Peter Geye

Member:kimberly58
Title:The Lighthouse Road: A Novel
Authors:Peter Geye
Info:Unbridled Books (2012), Hardcover, 280 pages

The Lighthouse Road: A Novel by Peter Geye

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love a book that isn't black and white, that explores a character's inner life and keeps me thinking after reading. The Lighthouse Road, like Safe From the Sea, is very evocative in setting without being overly poetic. Like Willa Cather, this sense of setting is intricately entwined with the people who live in the area: the characters wouldn't be who they are without the setting, and the setting wouldn't be what it is without the characters. If you long for some historical fiction that goes beyond the plot, The Lighthouse Road fits the bill. It is introspective and deep, while also straightforward and balanced. ( )
  melopher | Jan 15, 2014 |
The Lighthouse Road is as deep and intricate as the reader's imagination will allow. What were the conditions within which your great-Grandparents grew up? How did plain folks really live around the turn of the last century? ( )
  ewrinc | Sep 25, 2013 |
Slightly confusing in switching back and forth between timelines, characters.
Was interested in the portrayals of the Lake Superior setting. (Minnesota, but of course, comparable to northern MI and UP)
Read reviews to get concepts of the story.
Complex human beings on the pages again.
A worthwhile read. ( )
  CasaBooks | Apr 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Lighthouse Road is the story of Thea, a young immigrant girl who speaks no English and is alone in America, and her son, Odd.

The prose is beautiful and descriptive – I felt as if I could have looked up from the book and found myself in the woods of northern Minnesota or on the frozen shores of Lake Superior. The book takes place in pretty much two time periods -1896, when young Thea arrives in Gunflint from Norway and begins work at a lumber camp, and 1920, as we follow Thea’s son, Odd, on his quest to build a life for himself as a fisherman and boat builder. The story is not told in linear style but each chapter is named with the month and year so it’s easy to know, even before you start a chapter, where you are in the story. I liked the non-chronological storytelling and the way bits and pieces of the story were slowly revealed. The only part of the book I didn’t like going back to was the story of Odd and Rebekah. It just didn’t grab me like the rest of the book and their relationship seemed too insular. Where there really no other, perhaps more appropriate, companions for either of them?

This is Peter Geye’s second novel, the first being Safe From the Sea, which I loved. I liked The Lighthouse Road, too, just not quite as much. So I’d recommend starting with Safe From the Sea, and then when you’re hungry for more from this talented author, The Lighthouse Road will certainly fit the bill. 4.3 stars. ( )
  coppers | Apr 27, 2013 |
I have carefully read some of the 4 and 5 star reviews for this book in the attempt to find whatever I missed and the only conclusion I came to is that this book must have gone way over my head. I thought the storyline had potential but it really lacked continuity and I thought the ending was weak and dissapointing. I guess this one just didn't click for me. ( )
  Iudita | Mar 12, 2013 |
I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception;
In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children.
Genesis 3:16
Again, For Dana
And
In Loving Memory of
My Mother Susan Geye
(1943-2011)
Some ancient cold had taken root in Thea Eide’s belly, a feeling she’d not yet had but one she knew meant the time was nigh to deliver her baby.
He hadn’t known, hadn’t ever even suspected that this feeling was in the world to be had.

Against the wilds of sea and wood, a young immigrant woman settles into life outside Duluth in the 1890s, still shocked at finding herself alone in a new country, abandoned and adrift; in the early 1920s, her orphan son, now grown, falls in love with the one woman he shouldn’t and uses his best skills to build them their own small ark to escape. But their pasts travel with them, threatening to capsize even their fragile hope. In this triumphant new novel, Peter Geye has crafted another deeply moving tale of a misbegotten family shaped by the rough landscape in which they live--often at the mercy of wildlife and weather--and by the rough edges of their own breaking hearts.

In the wilds of early-twentieth-century Duluth, Minnesota, the orphan son of a immigrant woman tries to build a life for himself and the woman he loves.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lighthouse Road by Peter Geye was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible