Snow White Sorrow by Cameron Jace

Snow White Sorrow

by Cameron Jace

783154,388 (3)4

just not what I was expecting.
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
I read “Snow White Sorrow” some time ago and, as it happens with all the books I read and don’t get the chance to review immediately, I forgot many details, and what stayed is the overall impression of how the action, the characters, and the story itself made me feel. And my impression of “Snow White Sorrow” is that it’s a highly enjoyable read that anyone who loves fairytales with a twist should consider checking out. No, really. What Cameron Jace does with all the stories we know from the Brothers Grimm and not only is very different and surprising. It’s like when he started writing this series he made the decision to disregard any “rules” and let his imagination run wild.

The characters are all very likeable, especially Loki Blackstar and Fable. I might have a soft spot for Fable because she is so determined to prove that she can be a great witch, but also because she is so innocent and she loves her friends with all her heart. Axel can be quite annoying sometimes. He’s too stubborn when it comes to protecting his sister, and he never accepts that she is perfectly capable of taking care of herself. What can I say about Loki? I’ve read some reviews of “Snow White Sorrow” and I saw that those who loved the book were crazy in love with Loki. Well, I won’t say that, but I will say I liked the fact that he isn’t a perfect hero. He’s quite talented at messing things up, but he also has the courage to fight against things and people that are bigger and more powerful than him.

I wasn’t very surprised that Snow White didn’t turn out to be the monster we were led to believe she was in the beginning of the book and in the Prequels. But she’s not very innocent either. She is, of course, one of the most complex characters in this series, and she has so many secrets that when you think you’ve discovered what really happened in her childhood, things are turned upside down again and you realize there’s going to be a long way until you get to see the whole picture. This is one of the things that make you turn the pages and reach for the next book when you finish the first one.

I’ve also seen some reviews where readers complained that some things were pretty silly and random. Actually, I liked the randomness. I think this is one of the things that would describe many of Cameron Jace’s characters and their actions. So, Loki loves squirrels and, knowing this, vampires duct-tape squirrels to their chests to prevent Loki from staking them. Why not? His conversations with his mother (who is a ghost, btw) can be very random too, and that’s one reason why I loved them. It’s like Jace’s characters don’t take themselves very seriously most of the time, which makes the story a relaxing and lighthearted read. You can tell the author had a lot of fun writing it. ( )
  OanaMatei | Dec 17, 2013 |
This is the story of Loki Blackstar as he struggles to find his place in the worlds, life and to recover his memory before his 16th birthday. Loki is a vampire/dream hunter who is hired to kill Snow White, a vampire. Along the way, he learns much about himself, those around him, local history, etc.

The font size, line and page spacing change in few places which is rather distracting.

Ultimately, for there are many elements of various world fairy tale variations, various worlds mythologies (particularly Greek/Roman/Egyptian/Norse), various creature lores (ie vampires, werewolves, etc), Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, Dean Koontz, variations on Freddy Krueger and other slasher/horror media.

The characters are interesting and fairly well described. Dialogue occurs throughout the book sometimes aids in characterization.

For the majority of the narrative, the descriptions are profuse and vivid. Sometimes the descriptions and inner monologues get a bit too verbose. However, this is not true for the ending.

The ending is rushed, abrupt, and conflict unresolved. It does not fit with the previously established format and tone of the book.

Overall, an unfinished feeling. ( )
  catya77 | Sep 8, 2013 |

Cameron Jace is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,613,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible