Easy by Tammara Webber

Title:Easy
Authors:Tammara Webber
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages

Easy by Tammara Webber

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.

Gotta be honest; I don't like contemporary romance, but just look at my rating. And my shelving. Says it all, doesn't it?

What an emotional rollercoaster! For hero and heroine.

Jacqueline's a positive female role model, Lucas, a worthy tortured hero, together forming a healthy but not-without-problems relationship, which gradually develops after the hero saves the heroine from an attempted rape and helps her cope with the aftermath of both this and her prior breakup with her boyfriend of three years. Panic. Fear. Grief.

Every possible angle is covered on the topic of rape without lecturing readers, although not entirely free from cliché. By that, I reference Legally Blonde and say 'sorority sisters' and leave it at that. Standard reactions to rape included here were the common misconceptions, animosity, victim-blaming, slut-shaming and disbelief from the community, to unexpected support and genuine anger aimed squarely where it belongs -on the rapist. As it should. Message loud and clear. And happily received.

Jacqueline's growth and emerging strength and empowerment with the help of her roommate and Lucas see her attending self-defense classes and learning to squash down her panic in order to think clearly for long enough to protect herself. Knee that attacking rapist in the NUTSACK!

Along the way, she reevaluates her relationships and life path, realising the mistakes she's made, settling for an unhappy, stifling relationship with ex-boyfriend Kennedy, and decides she deserves better. She womans-up and gets on with pursuing a happier future. You go, girl!

But Jacqueline's not the only one with problems. Lucas has a devastating, harrowing event in his past he feels undeserved crippling guilt over, showing reasons for his behaviour, his multiple jobs -both paid and unpaid- the force with which he uses to protect Jacqueline. Heart-meltingly sad. Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

An unbelievably sweet and tender relationship forms between these two that had me on the edge of my seat, cheering for them, hoping for a happy ending. Every bump in the road was a painful one. If Easy had been a dead tree book nothing in the world would've stopped me from peeking at the ending. Luckily, it wasn't, and I'm glad I didn't spoil it for myself. It was totally worth waiting for.

Emotional ups and downs, fully developed characters, important themes and a clear message all should understand. It could be perceived as an anti-Twilight or anti-Beautiful Disaster. In any case, recommended reading for older teens and those in their early twenties, girls in particular. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I just reread this one in preparation for the second book! It was just as amazing as I remembered it! ( )
  Sarahnb16 | Sep 19, 2014 |
Jacqueline, hasn't been having much luck lately, after fallowing her boyfriend of 3 years to the college of his choice , a very different choice to the one a gifted musician like her self should go to, he breaks up with her only a few weeks in to the semester.
2 weeks after the split, still trying to make sense of it all, she goes to a Halloween party only to end up the victim of an attempted rape and the accused none other thank Buck, a friend of her best friends boyfriend. Luckily a stranger is there at the right time and manages to pull Buck off her, and drives her home making sure she is safe.

After skipping classes for 2 weeks, the first class back is Economics. One she not only happens to share with her ex Kennedy, but sits right next too. Unable to face him just yet, she takes one of the empty seats at the back, only to notice her knight in shinning army sitting bored and sketching. Jacqueline knows one thing for sure, she may not have noticed him before but now she can't take her eyes off him.

In a bid to help her catch up with her missed work, her teacher assigns her a tutor. A smart, funny guy named Landan. Due to a hectic schedule, the tutoring is strictly email only and Jacqueline soon finds herself falling for not only Landon but Lucas(her knight), someone who is now suddenly everywhere.

Love triangles are not the only thing she has to worry about, Buck just wont seem to get the picture and leave her alone, and Kennedy doesn't know if he made the right decision. After coming to the conclusion that things will probably never happen between her and Landon, Jacqueline sets her sights on Lucas. She soon finds out its not going to be as easy to catch this one as she had hoped.

My thoughts? I loved loved loved this book. The characters were so well written and thought out that I was heart broken when it ended. Jacqueline is not perfect, but she tries to right her wrongs , she's strong minded and determined and I think a brilliant example for young women reading this book. Hell I think the book in general is. This books shows its ok to fight back, that we shouldn't just accept the love we think we deserve (yes... yes I do relies I just stole that line from The Perks of Being a Wallflower. But sadly I don't care). It shows its ok to want to get back out there after you get your heart broken, and it doesn't automatically make you a slut.
I just really really loved this book. And Lucas?... don't get me started on him. I'm pretty certain he's one of my favourite male characters for the past year or so. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
New adult novel Easy lands the reader right into the college scene, where hookups are important and economics class not so much. The main character, Jacqueline is reeling from a recent long-term relationship breakup and is not ready to move on when Lucas, smoldering Starbucks barista rescues her - in more ways than one.

I was initially impatient for the story to move beyond what felt like YA (just graduated to college with steamier scenes). As the story progressed, I became more interested, partly because Webber layered Lucas with his own history that helped make his character more realistic.

Satisfied but not surprised by the ending, I would recommend this to girls near or in college. Without giving away what happens, Jacqueline's story is important for ANY girl to read so she can understand how to react when she, (inevitably, unfortunately) finds herself similarly attacked. ( )
  readerspeak | Sep 3, 2014 |
Sucked. DNF.

Review when I can find the time. I'm busy reading better books. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I'm seriously left behind in class! Just like Jacqueline, I missed class for two weeks! Not because of a heartbreak, though. Heehee. Anyway, I was admitted in a hospital because of Dengue Fever stage II and I just went to class a while ago. When I asked my professors for a remedial class, I was hoping to get a tutor as cool as Landon. Unfortunately, my professors have yet to read "Easy" since they told me to catch up the lessons by myself! Ugh! Talk about unfair. How come I don't get a one-on-one e-mail tutorial session??? How come there's no Landon Maxwell to save me from my two-week ignorance of Political Thought, Southeast Asian Studies, Ethics, Japanese Studies, Medieval Literature, and Majors! See what I mean? Landon Maxwell could be really helpful right now.

Really, guys. Easy by Tammara Webber is that good. I just have to remind you, though, that it contains mature subjects and themes.

I was surprised by how heavy the plot is. I don't actually support some of Jacqueline and Lucas' decisions, but I'll leave it up to you to decide. Meanwhile, I'll share three lessons I got from the book.
Here it goes!

1. Don't let your past take away your future. It doesn't define who you are today and who you'll be in the future. Live life like there's no second chance!

I got this from both Jacqueline and Lucas. Jacqueline throws away her dream of entering a prestigious music school to follow her boyfriend in a State University, only to find out that he'll break up with her just before their 3rd year anniversary. Jacqueline is devastated and she'll rather fail the class than to sit beside her ex for an hour-long Economics class! Thankfully, her bestfriend/roommate and Econ professor help her to get back to her feet. Her bestfriend starts to encourage her to come to class and her professor gives her a cool and intelligent personal tutor, Landon Maxwell.

The past of Lucas is rather heart-wrenching and tragic to the point that he almost stopped living by wasting himself. His father, a Ph.D. holder and a well-known scholar, shut down his senses and rationality because their horrid past is too much to bear. Thanks to Dr. Heller, Lucas is spared from a dead-life.

2. Do not fear. Step up. Let your voice be heard.

Two weeks after their breakup, Jacqueline is almost raped by a brotherhood rival of his ex. Good thing, Lucas is there to stop him. Knowing the shame that she'll get, Jacqueline decides to keep the incident a secret until it happens again. She escapes the second time around, but not her bestfriend's sorority friend. That's the only time they relayed the rape cases to the authority; however, they'll have to face the consequences of their prolonged silence.

3. Follow your dreams.

That includes your heart's desire. Jacqueline will eventually decide if she'll pursue a degree in music or education. And she'll also have to face her heart. Whom does she love the most? Her ex? Landon Maxwell? or Lucas?

I know you'l enjoy this book, too! Enjoy reading! God bless you more. :)

Tammara Webberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kim
Best friend
BFF
Confidant
Sister-I-never had
None of these titles are adequate
to describe what you mean to me
Love you, always
I had never noticed Lucas before that night.

A girl who believes trust can be misplaced, promises are made to be broken, and loyalty is an illusion. A boy who believes truth is relative, lies can mask unbearable pain, and guilt is eternal. Will what they find in each other validate their conclusions, or disprove them all?

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, stalked by her ex's frat brother, and failing a class for the first time in her life. Her econ professor gives her an email address for Landon, the class tutor, who shows her that she's still the same intelligent girl she's always been. As Jacqueline becomes interested in more from her tutor than a better grade, his teasing responses make the feeling seem mutual. There's just one problem-- their only interactions are through email. Meanwhile, a guy in her econ class proves his worth the first night she meets him. Nothing like her popular ex or her brainy tutor, Lucas sits on the back row, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. At a downtown club, he disappears after several dances that leave her on fire. When he asks if he can sketch her, alone in her room, she agrees-- hoping for more. Then Jacqueline discovers a withheld connection between her supportive tutor and her seductive classmate, her ex comes back into the picture, and her stalker escalates his attention by spreading rumors that they've hooked up.… (more)

124 wanted4 pay4 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible