Easy by Tammara Webber

72512012,951 (4.17)12
Authors:Tammara Webber
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages

Easy by Tammara Webber

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.

You guys might remember how much I despised Beautiful Disaster last year? I was absolutely fuming, and it had nothing to do with Ms McGuire's ability to write (she can write really well and the book is entertaining) but with the message this book carries to any young adult who might read it.

Easy is a complete opposite of that wretched book. It's gorgeous, it's about girl power and respect and freedom of choice and all the right choices you can make in bad situations, and...and... I loved it so much I nearly cried.

I wish every girl had a boyfriend like Lucas. He listens. He never accuses. He lets you set the pace, and at the same time he is uber sexy and hot and just overall wonderful.

This book is completely realistic and deals with problems in a very real grounded way. There is no theatrical drama and over the top responses. Tammara Webber avoids cliche, mean girls and stupid BFFs.

Jacqueline whose boyfriend of three years just broke up with her is reclaiming herself and her own identity, and her best friend Erin as brilliant and supportive the way your best friend should be. You don't really feel ill towards her ex as well. He is stupid, he made a silly mistake, but when he realises that, it's too late and Jacqueline moves on.

The book tackles serious issues of rape, near-rape, intimidation, bullying and attempts to shame a girl into silence. Don't worry, there are no details, because we are living through the attempts to get through PTSD and a need to speak up, not revelling in what happened.

If I couldn't persuade you enough to read this wonderful book, read Dear Author review which made me go and get this book and start reading it immediately! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
WOAH. This book was way better than I thought it would be. This is my first "new adult" novel but I was not disappointed...okay well...I would have liked to see the "all the way" but I understand that "behind closed doors" is part of the genre. I loved how the author took a serious issue and created something to advocate for the victim without making the book feel preachy...even though what she would preach would be the truth.

I loved this book. The passion between Jacqueline and Lucas as electric and I loved every second of thier angsty romance. I predicted both the middle twist with the characters and the end twist with the plot but that didn't mean it made the book any less. I was still awed, excited, and outraged when the moments arrived.

This is an amazing book, I look forward to more great reads from Tammara Webber. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
A quick read that was both tantalizing and suspenseful. I appreciated that the female lead wasn't a blubbery innocent, or even very saint-like, as are so many others in recent YA books. It felt more realistic to me in that way. If I had to critique it would be that I felt the story could probably have been a lot more detailed and drawn out, like with Lucas and his traumatizing past or even Jacqueline and her parents, or even more encounters with Buck. ( )
  kirako | Oct 20, 2015 |
I have enjoyed this book, it was a light read with young fresh characters and i guess i am a sucker when it comes to gorgeous tattooed, pierced guys (hint-hint to my husband) with doe eyes that prove that chivalry is not dead...only wounded..... ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
I really liked this book. The story was very believable, and the characters were well developed. I actually liked the main girl character for a change. I didn't give it 5 stars only because it was a little too subtle in the declarations of love department. Call me crazy but I need the heart racing, make you want to puke kind of love confessions even if it's only said at the very end. It's sort of like the cherry on top! For now my sundae is incomplete, however the story was still very yummy! ( )
  GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |
I'm seriously left behind in class! Just like Jacqueline, I missed class for two weeks! Not because of a heartbreak, though. Heehee. Anyway, I was admitted in a hospital because of Dengue Fever stage II and I just went to class a while ago. When I asked my professors for a remedial class, I was hoping to get a tutor as cool as Landon. Unfortunately, my professors have yet to read "Easy" since they told me to catch up the lessons by myself! Ugh! Talk about unfair. How come I don't get a one-on-one e-mail tutorial session??? How come there's no Landon Maxwell to save me from my two-week ignorance of Political Thought, Southeast Asian Studies, Ethics, Japanese Studies, Medieval Literature, and Majors! See what I mean? Landon Maxwell could be really helpful right now.

Really, guys. Easy by Tammara Webber is that good. I just have to remind you, though, that it contains mature subjects and themes.

I was surprised by how heavy the plot is. I don't actually support some of Jacqueline and Lucas' decisions, but I'll leave it up to you to decide. Meanwhile, I'll share three lessons I got from the book.
Here it goes!

1. Don't let your past take away your future. It doesn't define who you are today and who you'll be in the future. Live life like there's no second chance!

I got this from both Jacqueline and Lucas. Jacqueline throws away her dream of entering a prestigious music school to follow her boyfriend in a State University, only to find out that he'll break up with her just before their 3rd year anniversary. Jacqueline is devastated and she'll rather fail the class than to sit beside her ex for an hour-long Economics class! Thankfully, her bestfriend/roommate and Econ professor help her to get back to her feet. Her bestfriend starts to encourage her to come to class and her professor gives her a cool and intelligent personal tutor, Landon Maxwell.

The past of Lucas is rather heart-wrenching and tragic to the point that he almost stopped living by wasting himself. His father, a Ph.D. holder and a well-known scholar, shut down his senses and rationality because their horrid past is too much to bear. Thanks to Dr. Heller, Lucas is spared from a dead-life.

2. Do not fear. Step up. Let your voice be heard.

Two weeks after their breakup, Jacqueline is almost raped by a brotherhood rival of his ex. Good thing, Lucas is there to stop him. Knowing the shame that she'll get, Jacqueline decides to keep the incident a secret until it happens again. She escapes the second time around, but not her bestfriend's sorority friend. That's the only time they relayed the rape cases to the authority; however, they'll have to face the consequences of their prolonged silence.

3. Follow your dreams.

That includes your heart's desire. Jacqueline will eventually decide if she'll pursue a degree in music or education. And she'll also have to face her heart. Whom does she love the most? Her ex? Landon Maxwell? or Lucas?

I know you'l enjoy this book, too! Enjoy reading! God bless you more. :)

Tammara Webberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kim
Best friend
Sister-I-never had
None of these titles are adequate
to describe what you mean to me
Love you, always
I had never noticed Lucas before that night.

A girl who believes trust can be misplaced, promises are made to be broken, and loyalty is an illusion. A boy who believes truth is relative, lies can mask unbearable pain, and guilt is eternal. Will what they find in each other validate their conclusions, or disprove them all?

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, stalked by her ex's frat brother, and failing a class for the first time in her life. Her econ professor gives her an email address for Landon, the class tutor, who shows her that she's still the same intelligent girl she's always been. As Jacqueline becomes interested in more from her tutor than a better grade, his teasing responses make the feeling seem mutual. There's just one problem-- their only interactions are through email. Meanwhile, a guy in her econ class proves his worth the first night she meets him. Nothing like her popular ex or her brainy tutor, Lucas sits on the back row, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. At a downtown club, he disappears after several dances that leave her on fire. When he asks if he can sketch her, alone in her room, she agrees-- hoping for more. Then Jacqueline discovers a withheld connection between her supportive tutor and her seductive classmate, her ex comes back into the picture, and her stalker escalates his attention by spreading rumors that they've hooked up.… (more)

32 wanted4 pay6 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,857,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible