Easy by Tammara Webber

Title:Easy
Authors:Tammara Webber
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages

Easy by Tammara Webber

2012 (16) 2013 (4) angst (6) audiobook (3) chick lit (4) college (14) contemporary (30) contemporary romance (19) ebook (24) favorites (18) fiction (14) friendship (5) Kindle (8) love (4) maybe (3) New Adult (46) nook (4) own (4) rape (9) read (7) read in 2012 (11) read in 2013 (13) realistic fiction (3) romance (57) self defense (7) standalone (3) teen (3) to-read (105) YA (13) young adult (28)
    Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.

I freaking love this book I don't even know what to write on this review. It's an absolute must-read and would totally recommend it to others! It's filled with pure and raw emotions. Both the main characters have demons to face in order for them to finally let each other in. What they both went through really wasn't easy and requires a whole lot of effort. Cheesy as this may sound, but they're love and devotion for each other helped them get through the obstacles in front of them.

Another reason why I love this book is the instant connection I had with it. Probably because I could relate to a lot of parts of this story and those parts of the story made me delve into the past and broke my heart in both good and bad ways. ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
I loved, loved, loved this book.

It was real and genuine and didn't promote the same regurgitated twaddle a lot of YA novels tend to do. What I mean to say is, you could believe what was happening and yet still live in the fantasy. It didn't need mythical, unearthly, blood-lusting creatures in it. It was just too good for that- no disrespect to one of my fave genres (vamps and weres).

Jaqueline was an awesome character with depth, humour and a down-to-earth way about her. She wasn't over the top in her deepness, she didn't make you constantly question her actions because they weren't realistic. She made mistakes, and yet you understood why she made them.

She wasn't in the two main sterotypes of YA fiction. She was more, with many dimensions. She was a teenager and had a little bit of that serious, Twilightyness in her character but she was so much more than that. I think it's safe to say Tammara Webber scores high on the heroine.

The hero, Lucas, was also a believable character. He was funny, deep, interesting, mysterious, smart and loving, affectionate and sexy. But he was broken and far from perfect. He drove people (Jaqueline of course) away because of his own personal demons. His whole life since he was a young man has been consumed by guilt. Unwarranted guilt. And again you understand him and his reasons for being the way he is.

By the way I did know who Landon was the moment he was mentioned. But it made sense that Jaqueline wouldn't know because in real life, how could you when Lucas and Landon are two completely different people in personality? Until you start connecting the dots. So I wasn't screaming at her for not being smarter.

The storyline was interesting, focusing on the empowerment of women after being raped/attempted rape and the inner fears and demons of the characters.

I loved Erin because she stood by her friend, even choosing her over her boyfriend because of his 'bros before hos' complex. She made me giggle a lot and though she was the rowdy character, she wasn't labelled a slut at all. She was just a teenager, having fun, living life and full of bubbly energy. That was nice to see.

I also liked Katie, though her part was small. The way she defended Jaqueline and Mindi because she had also suffered at the hands of rapist and spoke out against all the guys and girls on campus who thought Buck didn't deserve to be sent to jail for his crimes. And the fact they didn't even believe he'd committed them anyway. I mentally patted her on the back for her speech and wanted to laugh in all those b**ches faces.

The writing was sharp, articulate, and well-paced. It didn't drag on and it gave the right amount of information with a balanced mix of dialogue, feelings and description.

I will read this again and again just because I enjoyed it so much.

My only criticism right now is that it did feel a little longer than necessary after Buck attacked her outside Lucas's house because I expected it to end not long after that. But after reading it I realized that actually, those extra pages were needed to make it a truly sweet feel good ending. The kind that makes you smile long after you've finished it.

Thumbs up for me and 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
WOW Why in Hell did I wait so long to read this book !!!!!! Amazing Amazing Story Tammara !!!!! ( )
  Chris.BlogEmporium | May 6, 2014 |
Despite all the deception in this story...the h/h relationship felt really honest. A tad overwrought and angsty at times...but it wouldn't be true to late-adolescence/early adulthood without that.

Lucas had my inner 20 year old green with envy.

I'm too jaded to buy the resolution, but I really really wanted to believe. If I had read the book as a teenager or even in my early twenties I would have believed in it without question. ( )
  ShariSlade | Feb 28, 2014 |
Love isn't materialistic !! Love is a spiritual connection between two souls not two bodies !
I just wanna know , why all contemporary love stories now are all based on love-his-body kind of love ?
where are the abstract side ??
I won't find a worse book :/

Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
I'm seriously left behind in class! Just like Jacqueline, I missed class for two weeks! Not because of a heartbreak, though. Heehee. Anyway, I was admitted in a hospital because of Dengue Fever stage II and I just went to class a while ago. When I asked my professors for a remedial class, I was hoping to get a tutor as cool as Landon. Unfortunately, my professors have yet to read "Easy" since they told me to catch up the lessons by myself! Ugh! Talk about unfair. How come I don't get a one-on-one e-mail tutorial session??? How come there's no Landon Maxwell to save me from my two-week ignorance of Political Thought, Southeast Asian Studies, Ethics, Japanese Studies, Medieval Literature, and Majors! See what I mean? Landon Maxwell could be really helpful right now.

Really, guys. Easy by Tammara Webber is that good. I just have to remind you, though, that it contains mature subjects and themes.

I was surprised by how heavy the plot is. I don't actually support some of Jacqueline and Lucas' decisions, but I'll leave it up to you to decide. Meanwhile, I'll share three lessons I got from the book.
Here it goes!

1. Don't let your past take away your future. It doesn't define who you are today and who you'll be in the future. Live life like there's no second chance!

I got this from both Jacqueline and Lucas. Jacqueline throws away her dream of entering a prestigious music school to follow her boyfriend in a State University, only to find out that he'll break up with her just before their 3rd year anniversary. Jacqueline is devastated and she'll rather fail the class than to sit beside her ex for an hour-long Economics class! Thankfully, her bestfriend/roommate and Econ professor help her to get back to her feet. Her bestfriend starts to encourage her to come to class and her professor gives her a cool and intelligent personal tutor, Landon Maxwell.

The past of Lucas is rather heart-wrenching and tragic to the point that he almost stopped living by wasting himself. His father, a Ph.D. holder and a well-known scholar, shut down his senses and rationality because their horrid past is too much to bear. Thanks to Dr. Heller, Lucas is spared from a dead-life.

2. Do not fear. Step up. Let your voice be heard.

Two weeks after their breakup, Jacqueline is almost raped by a brotherhood rival of his ex. Good thing, Lucas is there to stop him. Knowing the shame that she'll get, Jacqueline decides to keep the incident a secret until it happens again. She escapes the second time around, but not her bestfriend's sorority friend. That's the only time they relayed the rape cases to the authority; however, they'll have to face the consequences of their prolonged silence.

3. Follow your dreams.

That includes your heart's desire. Jacqueline will eventually decide if she'll pursue a degree in music or education. And she'll also have to face her heart. Whom does she love the most? Her ex? Landon Maxwell? or Lucas?

I know you'l enjoy this book, too! Enjoy reading! God bless you more. :)

Tammara Webberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kim
Best friend
BFF
Confidant
Sister-I-never had
None of these titles are adequate
to describe what you mean to me
Love you, always
I had never noticed Lucas before that night.

A girl who believes trust can be misplaced, promises are made to be broken, and loyalty is an illusion. A boy who believes truth is relative, lies can mask unbearable pain, and guilt is eternal. Will what they find in each other validate their conclusions, or disprove them all?

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, stalked by her ex's frat brother, and failing a class for the first time in her life. Her econ professor gives her an email address for Landon, the class tutor, who shows her that she's still the same intelligent girl she's always been. As Jacqueline becomes interested in more from her tutor than a better grade, his teasing responses make the feeling seem mutual. There's just one problem-- their only interactions are through email. Meanwhile, a guy in her econ class proves his worth the first night she meets him. Nothing like her popular ex or her brainy tutor, Lucas sits on the back row, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. At a downtown club, he disappears after several dances that leave her on fire. When he asks if he can sketch her, alone in her room, she agrees-- hoping for more. Then Jacqueline discovers a withheld connection between her supportive tutor and her seductive classmate, her ex comes back into the picture, and her stalker escalates his attention by spreading rumors that they've hooked up.… (more)

124 wanted4 pay4 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,228,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible