Crux by Julie Reece

Whoa, I actually found this impossible to put down! I don't really think the description does it justice at all. LOVED it! 4.5 or 5... I can't decide! ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 29, 2013 |
Julie Reese has written a book with a fresh voice. I enjoyed her writing style and the sarcastic lead female character she created. The book deals with Nordic mythology. A war between son and father that is played out throughout the centuries.

In this rendition of the war between father and son, Birdie is brought into the feud. She is homeless and follows a man who talks about wealth and a curse. She skips the free chili and follows. He is crazy and he seems familiar. He throws money in the air and singles her out for a chance at what is in his safe deposit box.

Running from the money hungry goons that grabbed some of the money, she finds safety with Grey. He becomes her knight in shining armor. It doesn't hurt that he is handsome.

Running from a painful past and not sure who to believe or who to trust, Birdie and Grey try to decipher the ancient curse.

This book took a couple of my favorite things in books, mythology and vikings. I am very glad that I read this book.

I would recommend it to readers who are mature with violence and sexual innuendo. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Aug 1, 2012 |
ISBN: 9781937744069
Publisher: J Taylor Publishing
Pages: 285
Formats Available: Kindle, Paperback.

BLURB from Goodreads
She should have run. Now, she’ll have to fight.

Eighteen year old Birdie may be homeless, but she’s surviving, that is until a mysterious guy throws money in the air like a crazy game show host, and she grabs some with the idea she’ll be able to buy dinner that night.

In that singular moment, unassuming Birdie becomes the girl in everyone’s viewfinder. Thugs want to kill her. Money-guy wants to recruit her. The very hot, very rich, and very out of her league Grey Mathews wants to save her.

Birdie, though, wants nothing to do with any of them, until she realizes fate didn’t bring them all together.

Her heritage did.

Now, with only twenty-one days left, she’s got to decide whether to follow in the footsteps of those before her or risk her life for people she’s only just met.

My Review
I received this e-galley from J Taylor Publishing in exchange for my honest review.
First of all I really like the cover, the girl on the front cover is just how I imagine Bird to look, and the hunk in the background in silhouette against the window with the sword must be Grey. I loved the characters of Bird, Grey and Jeff. It may seem coincidence how Bird met Grey or as the story progresses you wonder if it was fate stepping into her life.
Bird goes from having nothing at all at one end of the scale to having more than she knows what to do with. The thing about Bird is she never forgets her roots, she always seems to remember those poorer than her and the charities that have helped her out, and her fellow homeless friends in the past.
The book begins by a strange man throwing money around in the street. Bird collects some of the money as do other people at the scene. The man also hands Bird an ancient necklace and tells her to keep it safe. Not everyone that picks up the money is happy with just their own share which results in Bird being chased by three guys as they want her money too. Bird gives into her street instincts and bolts for a busier place and sees a cafe and takes a set at the first table she can find with a family sat there at it. The family speak to Bird and she ends up explaining that she is being followed, the young male in the family, Grey, offers her a lift and that's how their association begins. Grey seems drawn and intrigued by Bird even though his family clearly have plenty of everything where as she has only what she carries with her. Grey drops off Bird, but is that the last they see of each other or are they destined to meet again to fulfill some greater purpose? Is it the last Bird will see of the thugs?
The story is fairly fast past with various threads running through the story. There's Jeff's story, the guy who starts everything by throwing money about in the street, who or what is he really? Then Grey's family, some of which totally look down their noses at Bird. One of his friends is openly hostile to Bird on more than one occasion. Grey seems to see past Bird's surroundings and her past and see into her beautiful heart and soul, but can there be a future for them at all?
There is also the old legend/tale running through of the warring father and son, and the battle that is re-fought every ten years. Apparently Bird is the next in line to be a warrior if she accepts the challenge, and her heritage too. Grey would be an ideal person to have at her side. Will Bird and Grey be strong enough together to succeed where many others have failed?
As well as that there's the shadow from Birds past, the Snatcher who kidnapped her street friend Shondra, could he still have Shondra? Could Bird rescue her with her new powers.
I suppose my description makes the book sound complicated but it doesn't read like that, everything flows so well. I have tried to tell you enough about the story to make you want to read it as much as I did but without giving away any major spoilers that you need to discover yourself when reading the book to obtain the full enjoyment from it.
So did I enjoy the book? Yesss! Would I recommend? Definitely! Would I read more by Julie Reece? Yes ( )
  Sanz71 | Jul 19, 2012 |
Also posted on Lovey Dovey Books

Julie Reece's fantastic debut novel, Crux, is action-packed and has the sweetest romance I've read so far this summer! Birdie's anything but a meek girl ready to back down when faced with a challenge. No, she's the strong heroine readers dream of and she's ready and willing to take on an impossible task.

Birdie's story is one of a kind. It only takes one moment for her life to change, for the better and the worse. She goes from homeless to college enrollment, and from alone to being surrounded by protective Grey Matthews and a new set of friends. For someone who doesn't have much faith in herself, Birdie learns to trust others and let them into her life. At first I thought Grey was going to be cold and dismissive, but he proved himself to be dependable and one of my favorite characters next to Birdie. With all her good fortune comes a role in history Birdie could have never imagined she'd partake. Inheriting a peculiar, powerful amulet makes Birdie a potential Wielder. The wielder of the amulet has a destiny intertwined with a historical battle between Viking King Thorolf and his son Haddr, who fights for the English.

Crux is completely original and addictive. Birdie's voice is young and cool giving Crux a fresh tone that will appeal to all ages. A fun romance and adventurous read, Crux will stay with readers long after the last page is read!

*ebook won from publisher in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  LoveyDoveyBooks | Jul 4, 2012 |
  LSMurphy524 | Jul 3, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193774406X, Paperback)

She should have run. Now, she'll have to fight. Eighteen year old Birdie may be homeless, but she's surviving, that is until a mysterious guy throws money in the air like a crazy game show host and she grabs some with the idea she'll be able to buy dinner that night. In that singular moment, unassuming Birdie becomes the girl in everyone's viewfinder. Thugs want to kill her. Money-guy wants to recruit her. The very hot, very rich and very out of her league Grey Mathews wants to save her. Birdie, though, wants nothing to do with any of them until she realizes fate didn't bring them all together. Her heritage did. Now, with only twenty-one days left, she's got to decide whether to follow in the footsteps of those before her or risk her life for people she's only just met.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:39 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible