My American Revolution by Robert Sullivan

My American Revolution

by Robert Sullivan

Robert Sullivan and I share a surname and a lot of common interests. In this case, local history and travelogue. The American Revolution famously began in New England and ended in Virginia, but the majority of the war took place in New York and New Jersey where the battles are greatly overlooked. Even the coldest winter on record when the Continental Army encamped at Morristown, NJ doesn't get the press of the somewhat milder winter at Valley Forge, PA.
Sullivan visits sites in New York and New Jersey, attempting to experience the long marches of a Continental foot soldier, while also exploring the popular memory through books, poems, museums, and reenactments. I really like the premise of the book and some of the historical details of the Revolution and how the landscape continues to inform the New York/New Jersey area. On the other hand, the book is meandering and not very cohesive, and well ... a bit boring at times. For example, a long portion of the end of the book Sullivan describes in detail many visits to the Watchung Mountains in New Jersey to attempt signaling his family in Brooklyn using a mirror. It's just not lively reading. All the same, I like the way Sullivan thinks and will seek out his other books. ( )
  Othemts | Mar 1, 2016 |
This is not my favorite of Sullivan's books but if you enjoy his typically personal, idiosyncratic, and frequently humorous approach to history, you find this book interesting and entertaining. I grew up in New Jersey so I particularly enjoyed reading about the places Sullivan visits with which I'm familiar. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Great idea, poorly executed

I thought this was a really great idea, a modern revisiting of Revolutionary War sites with an overview of how they have changed over time. Instead the book is the rambling writings of the author as he rambles around the New England area. There is little coherence to his methodology and this combined with focus on unrelated topics (his father's health, how fresh muffins at a local bakery were) made much of this book quite tedious. Its clear that the author is very passionate about history, he frequently mentions names of local historians and re-enactors, however it is unfortunate that this book was not given more editorial guidance because I do feel it could have been much better than it was.

Also, no map? How can you have a history book that focuses on a specific area and not add a map? ( )
  pbirch01 | Jan 13, 2013 |

Americans tend to think of the Revolution as a Massachusetts-based event orchestrated by Virginians, but in fact the war took place mostly in the Middle Colonies—in New York and New Jersey and the parts of Pennsylvania that on a clear day you can almost see from the Empire State Building. In My American Revolution, Robert Sullivan delves into this first Middle America, digging for a glorious, heroic part of the past in the urban, suburban, and sometimes even rural landscape of today. And there are great adventures along the way: Sullivan investigates the true history of the crossing of the Delaware, its down-home reenactment each year for the past half a century, and—toward the end of a personal odyssey that involves camping in New Jersey backyards, hiking through lost “mountains,” and eventually some physical therapy—he evacuates illegally from Brooklyn to Manhattan by handmade boat. He recounts a Brooklyn historian’s failed attempt to memorialize a colonial Maryland regiment; a tattoo artist’s more successful use of a colonial submarine, which resulted in his 2007 arrest by the New York City police and the FBI; and the life of Philip Freneau, the first (and not great) poet of American independence, who died in a swamp in the snow. Last but not least, along New York harbor, Sullivan re-creates an ancient signal beacon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

"Americans tend to think of the Revolution as a Massachusetts-based event orchestrated by Virginians, but in fact the war took place mostly in the Middle Colonies--in New York and New Jersey and the parts of Pennsylvania that on a clear day you can almost see from the Empire State Building. In My American Revolution, Robert Sullivan delves into this first Middle America, digging for a glorious, heroic part of the past in the urban, suburban, and sometimes even rural landscape of today. And there are great adventures along the way: Sullivan investigates the true history of the crossing of the Delaware, its down-home reenactment each year for the past half a century, and--toward the end of a personal odyssey that involves camping in New Jersey backyards, hiking through lost "mountains," and eventually some physical therapy--he evacuates illegally from Brooklyn to Manhattan by handmade boat. He recounts a Brooklyn historian's failed attempt to memorialize a colonial Maryland regiment; a tattoo artist's more successful use of a colonial submarine, which resulted in his 2007 arrest by the New York City police and the FBI; and the life of Philip Freneau, the first (and not great) poet of American independence, who died in a swamp in the snow. Last but not least, along New York harbor, Sullivan re-creates an ancient signal beacon. Like an almanac, My American Revolution moves through the calendar of American independence, considering the weather and the tides, the harbor and the estuary and the yearly return of the stars as salient factors in the war for independence. In this fiercely individual and often hilarious journey to make our revolution his, he shows us how alive our own history is, right under our noses."--Publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,424,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible