The Black Count: Glory, Revolution,…

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tom Reiss

7058313,430 (4.09)2 / 149
Title:The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo
Authors:Tom Reiss
Info:New York : Crown Trade, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Favorites of recent years, Read 2013
Tags:biography, history, French history, 18th century history, 19th century history

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss (2012)

Georges by Alexandre Dumas (Artymedon)
    Artymedon: A novel over race relations by Alexandre Dumas who was inspired by Alex Dumas General of the French Revolution and former slave to create his fictional character Georges as narrated by Tom Reiss.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (marieke54)
    The Black Jacobins by C. L. R. James (Artymedon)
    Artymedon: The three revolutions that created our modern world are the American the Haitian and the French Revolution. The story of the Black Count is the point of intersection between the three in that they tried and did for a short time create a society based on the principle of equality for man regardless of race, birth or religion. It is also the key for the lecture of Alexandre Dumas' important works [[The Count of Monte-Cristo]] and [[Georges]], the later treating the question of race. That the real father of Dumas, a general of the French revolution be less known that his illustrious son author of the "Three Musketeers" is explained by how the reaction to the French revolution and the counter coup of the Thermidorians followed by that of the strong man of the sugar lobby, Napoleon, reestablished slavery in the Antilles. It is also the story of how and how it failed to do so in St Domingue, where the Black Count was born a slave, prompting the independence of this nation as black and mulatto only Haiti followed by its economic blocade by the rest of the world. Tom Reiss not only writes wonderfully be he also researched his subject in the Castle of Vincennes France and in the Dumas archives in Villers-Cotteret because this extraordinary Black Count, unlike Edmond Dantes, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis, really existed.… (more)
    Mes mémoires by Alexandre Dumas (LamontCranston)
    Monsieur de Saint-George: Virtuoso, Swordsman, Revolutionary: A Legendary Life Rediscovered by Alain Guede (goddesspt2)

English (82)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (85)
Most people recognize the name “Alexandre Dumas” thanks to the enduring popularity of The Three Musketeers. Many people are aware that the novelist Alexandre Dumas had a son Alexandre who was a playwright as well as a novelist. Far fewer are familiar with the original Alexandre Dumas. He was born in what is now Haiti to a French father (a marquis, no less) and a slave mother. He had the great fortune to live in France during a period of great freedom for Africans and people of mixed race. He had the great misfortune to be a contemporary of Napoleon, who took away those liberties when he rose to power.

The first person intrudes at several points in the narrative. This wouldn't be remarkable in an autobiography, but it's unexpected in a biography. The first person passages reveal Reiss's extraordinary efforts to access primary sources that had lain untouched in archives and repositories for two centuries. (Some of the richest sources were stored in a safe whose combination had been lost at the death of the only person who knew it. Thanks to Reiss's persistence, the safe was blown open and Reiss was permitted to view its contents.) The newly discovered primary sources will interest scholars, while Reiss's vivid narrative will appeal to general readers and fans of The Count of Monte Cristo and other action and adventure novels inspired by the life of General Dumas. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Oct 6, 2015 |
Interesting account of Alexandre Dumas' (the novelist's) father, a black "American" who rose to be a general in the French revolutionary army, then basically fell at the hands of Napoleon. Not only a biography, but great background on the French Revolution and fascinating insight into some of the inspiration for The Count of Monte Cristo (one of my favorite books). Recommended. ( )
  saholc | Sep 21, 2015 |
The biography of the father of the author, Alexander Dumas and a history of France in the 1700s. I did not know a lot of this information. Did not know how progressive France was in freeing slaves. Very easy to read biography. ( )
  Kristelh | Aug 31, 2015 |
Here are my first impressions:
Reiss's writing style was engaging and easy to read. Don't be intimidated by the length of the book as a lot of it is notes & references. The actual text was about 330 pages.

I felt that this was not a traditional biography; rather, Reiss used General Alexandre Dumas (father of the famous writer) to illustrate the history of race relations in France & French colonies during the final decades of the monarchy, through the Revolution and into the early years of Napoleon's reign. Sadly, the principles of freedom which were originally applied to all were perverted under Napoleon -- I hadn't realized what a weasel Napoleon was!

Here is an image of a painting showing General Dumas at the bridge outside Brixen on 25 March 1797 where, while waiting for reinforcements, he single-handedly kept the Austrians from crossing:

Note how tall Dumas is compared to the other soldiers!! At this point, Dumas was considered a national hero in France and held to be a specimen of perfect manliness. By the time he died in 1806, blacks, mulattoes and 'men of color' were forbidden to enter the continental territory of the Republic under any cause or pretext, unless supplied with special authorization & those already present were not allowed to live in Paris or its surrounding area or marry across racial boundaries. It was such a shock to me to see how quickly France went from being mostly 'color-blind' to having such racist laws (and actually enforcing them). ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 20, 2015 |
This nonfiction account of the life of Alex Dumas, father of the great writer Alexander Dumas, was a lot of fun to read. Alex Dumas lived at a volatile time in French history. His father was a French aristocrat who went to Sante Domingue (present day Haiti) to find his fortune in the wealthy sugar colony. He had Alex with a black slave on the island. He later brought Alex to France.

The most interesting part of the book to me was actually the experience of Alex Dumas rising to General in Napoleon's army as a black man. I had no idea about the civil rights that the French Revolution introduced. They didn't last through Napoleon's rule, but there was a good decade or so where black men had rights in France and slavery was abolished. I really had no idea.

I also have done fairly minimal reading about the French revolution, and the reading I have done has mainly surrounded the politics in Paris, not much about the fighting that went on. So that aspect was also new to me and pretty interesting, though it got bogged down a few times for my taste.

And then of course, there is the connection to the writer Alexandre Dumas. Alexandre idolized his strong, courageous father. The includes mainly of Alexandre's written memories of his father and draws examples of General Dumas's influence on his son's writing, particularly using the elder Dumas's unjust imprisonment in Naples as the influence for Edmund Dantes's experience in The Count of Monte Cristo.

Overall, this was a fun biography to read of an interesting man set in an important moment in history. ( )
1 vote japaul22 | Jul 16, 2015 |
It was nearly midnight on the night of February 26, 1806, and Alexandre Dumas, the future author of The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers, was asleep at his uncle's house. He was not yet four years old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 030738246X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Generations have been enthralled by Alexandre Dumas' characters, especially the wronged hero in The Count of Monte Cristo and the daring swordsmen in The Three Musketeers. Yet few realize that these memorable characters were inspired by Dumas' father, General Alex Dumas, the son of a French count and a black Haitian slave. Tom Reiss brings the elder Dumas alive with previously unpublished correspondence and meticulous research, providing the context necessary to understand how exceptional his life as a mulatto general in a slave-owning empire truly was. From single-handedly holding a bridge in the Alps against 20 enemies to spending years held captive in a fortress, Alex Dumas is a fascinating character that not even his son's vivid imagination could have dreamed up. --Malissa Kent

An Essay by Author Tom Reiss

Tom Reiss

I've always loved exploring history. It's like an uncharted hemisphere, and when you look at it closely, it has a tendency to change everything about your own time. I'm also drawn to outsiders, people who have swum against the tide. I often feel like a kind of detective hired to go find people who have been lost to history, and discover why they were lost. Whodunnit?

In this case, I found solid evidence that, of all people, Napoleon did it: he buried the memory of this great man – Gen. Alexandre Dumas, the son of a black slave who led more than 50,000 men at the height of the French Revolution and then stood up to the megalomaniacal Corsican in the deserts of Egypt. (The "famous" Alexandre Dumas is the general's son – the author of The Three Musketeers.) Letters and eyewitness accounts show that Napoleon came to hate Dumas not only for his stubborn defense of principle but for his swagger and stature – over six feet tall and handsome as a matinee idol – and for the fact that he was a black man idolized by the white French army. (I found that Napoleon's destruction of Dumas coincided with his destruction of one of the greatest accomplishments of the French Revolution – racial equality – a legacy he also did his best to bury.)

I first came across Gen. Dumas's life in the memoir of his son Alexandre, the novelist. And what a life! Alex Dumas, as he preferred to be known, was born in Saint Domingue, later Haiti, the son of a black slave and a good-for-nothing French aristocrat who came to the islands to make a quick killing and instead barely survived. In fact, to get back to France in order to claim an inheritance, he actually "pawned" his black son into slavery, but then he bought him out, brought him to Paris, and enrolled him in the royal fencing academy, and then the story begins to get interesting.

What really stuck with me from reading the memoir was the love that shows through from the son, the writer, for his father, the soldier. I could never forget the novelist describing the day his father died. His mother met him on the stairs in their house, lugging his father's gun over his shoulders, and asked him what he was doing. Little Alexandre replied: "I'm going to heaven to kill God – for killing daddy." When he grew up, he took a greater sort of revenge, infusing his father's life and spirit into fictional characters like Edmond Dantes and D'Artagnan, with shades of Porthos, too. But the image of the angry child stuck with me and drove me onward to discover every scrap of evidence I could about his forgotten father.

And recovering the life of the real man behind these stories was the ultimate historical prospecting journey for me: I learned about Maltese knights and Mameluke warriors, the tricks of 18th-century spycraft and glacier warfare, torchlight duels in the trenches and portable guillotines on the front; I got to know about how Commedia del Arte influenced Voodoo and how a Jacobin sultan influenced the Star-Spangled Banner, about chocolate cures for poisoning and the still brisk trade in Napoleonic hair clippings. I discovered the amazing forgotten civil rights movement of the 18th century – and its unraveling – though the most amazing thing about this story of a black man in a white world was how little race stood in his way: how Alex Dumas's future father-in-law never once questioned his daughter marrying a man of color but only asked that he get promoted to sergeant first (later he lovingly referred to his son-in-law simply as "the General").

Finally, the memoir set me not only on a historical adventure but on an adventure in the present day that was straight out of a Dumas novel. I began by visiting the gray town in northeast France where the general died – where I found a dead museum secretary, a locked safe, and a host of unlikely, inspiring characters to make my journey a far from lonely one.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

In this extraordinary biography, Tom Reiss traces the almost unbelievable life of the man who inspired not only Monte Cristo, but all three of the Musketeers: the novelist's own father.

197 wanted4 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Black Count by Tom Reiss was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,962,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible