Languages of the World: An Introduction by…

Languages of the World: An Introduction (2012)

by Asya Pereltsvaig

This is a very interesting book for a linguistic layperson. It gives an overview of the world's main (and some minor) language families, and has lots of examples to clarify the theory.

Some minor negative points:
- The information given in the lists of languages/language families (including numbers of speakers and geographical areas) could be more conveniently arranged in tables instead of being buried in the text.
- Occasionally grammatical errors pop up, which is a bit irritating, especially in a book about languages.

Despite these little flaws I still give it 5 stars, because I was captivated by what I read, and I'm sure this book will prompt me to learn more about the subject. ( )
  Akubra | Apr 1, 2013 |
To my mother, Freyda Pereltsvayg
[Words, words, words...]
Words are often the first thing that fascinate us about a language, whether our own or a more exotic one.
April 26, 1607. After a long 144 day voyage, three ships belonging to the Virginia Company of London and led by Captain John Smith make landfall at the southern edge of the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, which they name Cape Henry.

What do all human languages have in common and in what ways are they different? How can language be used to trace different peoples and their past? Are certain languages similar because of common descent or language contact? Assuming no prior knowledge of linguistics, this textbook introduces readers to the rich diversity of human languages, familiarizing students with the variety and typology of languages around the world. Linguistic terms and concepts are explained, in the text and in the glossary, and illustrated with simple, accessible examples. Eighteen language maps and numerous language family charts enable students to place a language geographically or genealogically. A supporting website includes additional language maps and sound recordings that can be used to illustrate the peculiarities of the sound systems of various languages. 'Test yourself' questions throughout the book make it easier for students to analyze data from unfamiliar languages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:38 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,468,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible