Bobcat and Other Stories by Rebecca Lee

Bobcat and Other Stories (edition 2012)

by Rebecca Lee

Member:vancouverdeb
Title:Bobcat and Other Stories
Authors:Rebecca Lee
Info:HAMISH HAMILTON CA (2012), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Canadian, short stories, academia, students, professors, university, fiction, literary fiction

Bobcat and Other Stories by Rebecca Lee

Dreamy, piercing shorts, about desire, contentment and the balance between them. ( )
  mjlivi | Feb 2, 2016 |
Worth a re-read - I think there was lots I missed as I was tearing through it. I'll be checking out other works by the author. Her style is lovely. Perfect cadence for short stories: left me wanting more but I still felt fulfilled at the end of each piece. The first story in this collection is superb. ( )
  cyrenitis | Dec 2, 2015 |
Each of the stories is different. The writing is lyrical without being flamboyant. At the end of each story, I felt that there was a deeper message that seemed just out of reach, but that I would be able to grasp it by reading it again after some time.
  grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |
Wonderful, thought-provoking collection of stories that are beautifully written. I Look forward to reading her next book! ( )
  Icewineanne | May 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought the book started on a great upbeat kind of situational story. I couldn't put it down, and enjoyed reading the stories wholly. The airport was super entertaining with this book in hand. I thought the book was wonderful. A great read.
  lorespar | Dec 5, 2014 |
Overall, this is a potent, quietly daring and sturdily imagined collection, rich with a subtlety in short supply in our current short-fiction landscape, where writers seem to settle for lobbing verbal grenades in the reader’s general direction. In stories like “Bobcat” and “Fialta,” there is the real sense of significance, as though a whole subway system’s worth of meaning is roaring beneath the text, ready to whisk the reader anywhere they need to go.

Somewhere someone is traveling furiously toward you,
At incredible speed, traveling day and night,
Through blizzards and desert heat, across torrents, through
Narrow passes.
But will he know where to find you,
Recognize you when he sees you,
Give you the gin he has for you?
—John Ashbery
It was the terrine that got to me.

At turns heartbreaking and wise, tender and wry, Bobcat and Other Stories establishes Rebecca Lee as one of the most powerful and original voices in Canadian literature.

A university student on her summer abroad is offered the unusual task of arranging a friend's marriage. Secret infidelities and one guest's dubious bobcat-related injury propel a Manhattan dinner party to its unexpected conclusion. Students at an elite architecture retreat seek the wisdom of their revered mentor but end up learning more about themselves and one another than about their shared craft.

In these acutely observed and scaldingly honest stories Lee gives us characters who are complex and flawed, cracking open their fragile beliefs and exposing the paradoxes that lie within their romantic and intellectual pursuits. Whether they're in the countryside of the American Midwest, on a dusty prairie road in Saskatchewan, or among the skyscrapers and voluptuous hills of Hong Kong, the terrain is never as difficult to navigate as their own histories and desires.

"Rebecca Lee, one of our most gifted and original short story writers, guides readers into a range of landscapes, both foreign and domestic, crafting stories as rich as novels. A student plagiarizes a paper and holds fast to her alibi until she finds herself complicit in the resurrection of one professor's shadowy past. A dinner party becomes the occasion for the dissolution of more than one marriage. A woman is hired to find a wife for the one true soulmate she's ever found."--Amazon.com.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bobcat and Other Stories by Rebecca Lee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,191,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible