The Making of a Marchioness (Persephone…

The Making of a Marchioness (Persephone Book) (original 1901; edition 2009)

by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Member:LadyMuck
Title:The Making of a Marchioness (Persephone Book)
Authors:Frances Hodgson Burnett
Info:Persephone Books Ltd (2009), Paperback, 328 pages

The Making of a Marchioness/The Methods of Lady Walderhurst by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1901)

Read during Spring 2007

What an odd book. Two shorter books are combined into one volume, perhaps from magazine serializations? I'll have to go back and check my bio of Burnett. The first book is the story of how Emily Fox-Seton moves from genteel poverty to the wife of a Marquis. It gets going in the second book with intrigues and plots but then she seems to have lost interest in the last few chapters and wraps up many loose ends without much plot development. What is so odd is that none of the characters are made very likeable. She seems to want you to dislike them, in fact, so that, even as you start to feel Emily is rather a sweet thing, Burnett comes trouncing in with how childlike and stupid she is. Her benefactor, Lady Maria, is witty but without any feeling for anyone outside herself. The Marquis is pompous but not very clever. The Osborns, who stand to lose any chance of money with Emily's marriage, are a thoroughly bad lot. It was an interesting read but really made me wonder about whom it would appeal to. Burnett seems to have had a rather embittered view of life and society.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
That old term Charming applies to this book, and to Emily Fox Seton. A main character whose chief attribute is kindness, imagine that!
Great intro and afterword to Persephone edition, both point out the depiction of the Edwardian marriage market, and the tough realities of life for women of all classes actually. ( )
  annejacinta | May 26, 2014 |
This is a queer, strange little book. I was eager to read this because, like many people, I adore Burnett's Children's book. This book, of course, was to be more serious and adult. However, I was neither a sentimental romance or a melodrama commenting on marriage - but a strange mix of the two. At time I enjoyed it, and then, I would hate it. I'm still not certain how I feel about it. The ending was abrupt and odd and startling. It felt like it should have come on, but it didn't. I'm not sure I would recommend this book. ( )
  empress8411 | Feb 16, 2014 |
Short novella The Making of a Marchioness is a very good Cinderella-type story (5 stars). The sequel, The Methods of Lady Walderhurst, has a rather uneven plot, but I still really enjoyed it (4 stars). ( )
  kathleen586 | Mar 29, 2013 |
If you enjoy comfort books then you'll love this one. It's a bit of fairy tale for adults, Emily Fox- Seton, the main character is so sweet and helpful to others that she should really be a bit of a pain but somehow she isn't. It has been described as a hot water bottle of a book, so a good book for a bad day. It's available on Project Gutenberg under the title Emily Fox-Seton - I think.
  PiningfortheWest | Nov 16, 2012 |
When Miss Fox-Seton descended from the two-penny 'bus as it drew up, she gathered her trim tailor-made skirt about her with neatness and decorum, being well used to getting in and out of two-penny 'buses and to making her way across muddy London streets.
The Persephone edition entitled The Making of a Marchioness (ISBN 9781903155141, 1903155142 and 1906462127) contains both The Making of a Marchioness and its sequel, The Methods of Lady Walderhurst and should not be combined with either single work.

A two-part adult Cinderella tale, Emily Fox-Seton, a poor, distant descendant of aristocracy, accepts a serving position in one of their garden estates, where she is surprised to receive the attentions of the rich, eligible Marquis of Walderhurst.

83 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,659,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible