Magic Tree House Fact Tracker #26: Pandas…

Magic Tree House Fact Tracker #26: Pandas and Other Endangered Species

by Mary Pope Osborne, Natalie Pope Boyce

In my opinion, this is a very good book. One of the things I liked best about this book was the plot. This is an informational book all about pandas and other endangered species. I love animals and I really enjoy reading about them. Not only did the book include information about a few species that are endangered, it explained to the reader what being endangered means. “A species is endangered when its numbers have become so small that the species is at risk of becoming extinct (ex-STINKT), or dying out.” The book gives a lot of information about pandas, but does so in a way that is interesting. I also really enjoy the extra-textual features that are in the book. The book includes maps, pictures, definitions, and how to pronounce certain words. For example, the definition of nutrients was given on the same page that the word was used. “Nutrients are the vitamins, minerals, and proteins needed to be healthy.” There were also a lot of real life pictures of pandas in the book, which were interesting to look at. The big idea of this book is to inform readers about pandas and other endangered species. ( )
  Chawki6 | Nov 16, 2014 |
This book is a non-fiction/ informational chapter book for third to fifth grade. I was very excited to return to my Magic Tree House days! I was definitely a big fan of this series as a child, but I have never read a fact tracker! I really liked this book; it had a lot of content about endangered animals and their habitats and lifestyle yet it was a very easy read. At first it focused on the summary of pandas and why they were endangered, but then I liked how it transitioned to other endangered animals around the world. I love to learn about animals, and I know animals are a popular subject for elementary school students. This is an especially great non-fiction book not only for the information, but because it also has a section in the end informing the students what they could do to help. Getting children involved to better the world is a definite bonus in any book! The main idea of this book is information on endangered animals. ( )
  BeckieZimmerman | Apr 23, 2014 |
I liked reading this book. The main message is to teach children information about pandas and some other endangered species, and how children can help try to save them. One thing I liked about this book is the style of the text. On the pages, there is the regular text in the chapter, but then on some pages there are sidebars or a conversation between the characters. For example, when the book talks about bamboo, the boy character says to the girl "if you tried to eat bamboo, I bet it would scratch your throat" to which she responded "I know! But pandas have very tough throats so the bamboo doesn't hurt them". I think this gives children a break from the text that is in the standard format and they get to read short sentences that give information related to the chapter. Another thing I liked about this book was the last section on how children can help. Often times, books will just bring up problems in the world and not offer any kind of advice for the kids. This book names ways that children can change small things that can make a big difference. It also gives many more research tools in case the children want to expand their knowledge even further. Some examples they listed include pick up litter, build bird feeders, or saving energy. ( )
  jperro2 | Mar 23, 2014 |
I thought that this informational book was a great way for readers to be introduced to a more serious topic like endangered species. This book gave you pictures, diagrams, fun facts, informational about why there are species and what they are, while also telling you how species can get endangered and what you can do to prevent it. The pictures throughout the book were mostly real photographs with only some being animations which I really liked because it was like you were really learning about the information presented. On each page there was text but along the margins of the page were fun facts or definitions of words used on that page that really helped to explain that text that was just read for those readers who are struggling. At the end of the book, there were resources you could use to help species that are endangered such as websites for more information of names od museums or zoo that have these animals. I really liked that this book did not just simply give the information about this topic but it motivated the students to get involved and do something about it. It gave them suggestions on how to do your part so there are no more endangered species and they also told you what to do if you go to museums or other places. It also gave you examples of people that are making a difference to these animals like Jane Goodall. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and the way that it presented the information and motivated the reader to make a difference in the community. ( )
  ramber1 | Mar 9, 2014 |
This book teaches facts about Pandas and also tells about the lives of two pandas named Jack and Annie. I like this book because I have an interest in pandas.
  tfink | Dec 12, 2012 |

Osborne, Mary Popeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boyce, Natalie Popemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Murdocca, SalIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

When Jack and Annie got back from their adventure in Magic Tree House #48: A Perfect Time for Pandas they had lots of questions. What do pandas eat? Where do they live? Why are snow leopards so scarce? How can we help? Find out the answers to these questions and more as Jack and Annie track the facts. Filled with up-to-date information, photos, illustrations, and fun tidbits from Jack and Annie, the Magic Tree House Fact Trackers are the perfect way for kids to find out more about the topics they discovered in their favorite Magic Tree House adventures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

Learn about giant pandas and other endangered species.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible