Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll…

Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time (Quick and…

by Mignon Fogarty

194537,190 (4.33)1

This is an interesting book, a lot of the words in here I had no idea there was any debate. But I think it would have been a little more interesting had there been a little more background on each word--every word had 2 pages, max, and not much was on those two pages.

But this is good for a quick reference if you're unsure. ( )
1 vote lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |
This is a great book to have at your fingertips. Have you ever asked yourself 'Is it affect or effect' or 'Do you lie on a bed or lay on a bed?' So many times these words are confused. Mignon Fogarty takes on 101 words that cause a lot of trouble in the English language.
This book goes through the words in alphabetical order. Fogarty uses excerpts and quotations from well-known books to illustrate her points. She also includes some 'quick and dirty tips' to help you remember the correct way to use certain words.
Overall I think this is a good book for anyone to keep handy. If you often get confused over which word is the right word then this book is for you. ( )
1 vote mt256 | Sep 16, 2012 |
We've established when to use their, there and they're. Other words are a bit more tricky. In yet another installation of the Grammar Girl series, Mignon Fogarty presents 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master In No Time. Based upon the fact that language isn't static but ever changing there are plenty of words and expressions where it's often hard to be sure of not only how to write them correctly, but even more so use them in the right context. Obviously I've been using momentarily wrong all these years, and I have this slight feeling I might not be the only one.
Admittedly, at first I thought this would be a book for kids who never really paid attention at school and really need to brush up their grammar. Three pages later that impression was replaced by the realization that this is the kind of guidebook for literally anyone. Having learned English as a second language, and despite considering myself to have a pretty good grasp on it, this has been a tremendously helpful and illuminating read for me. The explanations on when (not) to use certain terms or expressions is spruced up with information on their origins and examples from classic books straight to your favorite series on TV. As dull as such a book might appear at first glance I promise you will not just learn a thing or two, it's also quite an entertaining page turner!
In short: Smart and instructive style guide not just for the grammar-impaired! ( )
1 vote BLehner | Jul 15, 2012 |

Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 40 million times. Now she’s turning her attention to solving your worst problems—one troublesome word at a time.

Are you feeling "all right" or "alright"? Does "biweekly" mean twice a week or every two weeks? Do you run a gauntlet or a gantlet? Is a pair of twins four people or two?

The English language is always changing, and that means we are left with words and phrases that are only sort of wrong (or worse, have different definitions depending on where you look them up). How do you know which to use? Grammar Girl to the rescue! This handy reference guide contains the full 411 on 101 words that have given you trouble before—but will never again.

Full of clear, straightforward definitions and fun quotations from pop culture icons such as Gregory House and J. K. Rowling, as well as from classical writers such as Mark Twain and Benjamin Franklin, this highly-useable guidebook takes the guesswork out of your writing, so you’ll never be at a loss for words again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:14 -0400)

The best-selling author of Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again presents a new lexicon of frequently misused words that provides clear definitions, usage examples and skill-building memory tricks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible