Sad Desk Salad by Jessica Grose

Sad Desk Salad (edition 2012)

by Jessica Grose

Member:writemeg
Title:Sad Desk Salad
Authors:Jessica Grose
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:chick lit, New York, media

Sad Desk Salad by Jessica Grose

This had some interesting aspects, but overall I think I was hoping it would be more insightful about for-profit blogging. I was a little surprised that I wasn't very surprised ... pretty much everything was more or less what I would imagine it would be like, and I don't think that's because I'm so smart or anything. I felt like the conclusions should have been the premise -- it seemed like a lot to read a whole book about a blog writer (let's note the author wrote for Jezebel, so like that) that comes to conclusions that most people (who have used the internet ever) would just assume are the baseline. As everyone already gets that, what's the next level?

I did enjoy the fact that it's a book set in the present day New York, and It SEEMED LIKE present day New York, a weird problem that seems to be dogging me lately.
  delphica | Jan 31, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book. At first I wasn't too sure about it since it mainly revolves around Alex who writes blog snippets for a website all day. I thought it would get boring after awhile since she is mostly indoors doing the same thing. But not so! I could hardly put this book down. I loved how Alex was already beginning to unravel at the beginning of the book (not taken showers for awhile, wearing the same clothes, ect). I loved that the author jumped right in.

In a digital age where most everything is either done or at least read about on the internet, I think this is a fabulous book that shows how much of society revolves around "celebrities" and how easy it is to get sucked into the digital world instead of living in the real world. ( )
  BStreeper | Sep 29, 2013 |
I got this book because I was reading an article that my husband forwarded me and in the credits it said the author had written a book called Sad Desk Salad. I loved that title and told him jokingly "I'd read a book called that" and then he said it was on sale for the Kindle and he bought it for me. I had no idea what it was about other than the title.

It is also the first time I have ever read anything on a Kindle (my husband's).

I was delighted by this book. I found this story to be fresh and funny and engaging.

I loved that the backdrop was the world of blogs. I read a lot of blogs and the insight into the deadlines and pressure to make page views was really interesting to me. And all of the detail jived with what I know from just being a blog reader.

The plot was well devised and almost constructed like a whodunit. I found myself reaching for it again and again because i was really interested in seeing how it resolved.

The characters were really well formed. - I thought the writing was snappy and I was just so surprised and delighted at what a great book I found in such a random way! Hooray for having a really great eye catching title! ( )
  alanna1122 | Jun 14, 2013 |
Eh. Not that exciting urban chick lit. ( )
  eenerd | Apr 20, 2013 |
This book made me feel about a hundred years old. The whole way through I wanted to grab Alex by the shoulders, give her a good shake, and then tell her to a) take a shower and WASH YOUR HAIR THIS TIME b) eat some food that is not from the bodega across the street and c) take off that goddamn muumuu and burn it. I'm not a mother, yet I felt like someone needed to tell this idiot what the basics of human care are. Maybe you'd be less of a psychotic freak if you got more than a few hours of sleep at night? It's certainly worth a try, sweetheart. (Wow! I didn't realize how much I hated her until I wrote this review! I've upped it to two stars since I had such a reaction to her.) ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
The alarm on my iPhone goes off at 6:20.

Blogger Alex Lyons stumbles across a juicy scandal involving a politician's daughter. Is Alex willing to ruin the girl's life by igniting the next Internet feeding frenzy? And what she doesn't yet realize is how this big scoop is about to send her life spiraling out of control.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sad Desk Salad by Jessica Grose was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,924,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible