The Trouble with Fate: A Mystwalker Novel by…

The Trouble with Fate: A Mystwalker Novel (edition 2012)

by Leigh Evans

Member:STACYatUFI
Title:The Trouble with Fate: A Mystwalker Novel
Authors:Leigh Evans
Info:
Collections:Your library, Reviewed for Publisher/Authors, Reviewed for NetGalley
Rating:***

The Trouble with Fate: A Mystwalker Novel by Leigh Evans

Full review to be posted soon:

Quick thoughts/mini Review:

This had an awkward first half which was chock full of info-dumping which really bogged the pace down, but I really liked the heroine and I persevered and I am glad I did because the 2nd half really improved. And I was soon sucked into the story. I loved the world-building but I wished it was introduced in a much smoother way instead of long winded tangents and the romance was fun and realistic and I have to say the first love scene was surprising because it was so realistic and I liked that because it was refreshing. ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
I tried, but it is not working for me.
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: First book from Ms. Evans and it shows promise.

Opening Sentence: We lived in a long flat bungalow in Creemore.

The Review:

Firstly, I am astounded at the word pictures that Ms. Evans is able to capture in my mind. She has a knack for expressing color and even light that is truly unique. But there are times in which I was lost in a myriad of words and the story was left behind almost casually which is a shame because I wanted to get swept away by this universe and characters.

Our heroine, Hedi Peacock is part werewolf and fae. She witnessed the murder of her father by a werewolf, the slaying of her mother by her own kind and her twin kidnapped when she was just a child. How Hedi handles and sometimes doesn’t handle these challenges are part of what made me adore her. Our hero, Robson “Bridge” Trowbridge is not the run of the mill Alpha Were. He is accused of killing his family, including his father, the Alpha of the Creemore pack, and his wife, Candy.

When these two characters start interacting with each other is where the magic really starts to fly. The love/hate and bad/good characteristics are on display for all to see and I’m sure that their story will continue to be just as challenging as their first meeting.

One of the side characters is Hedi’s amulet that she has named Merry. Initially it was a struggle to see a piece of jewelry with such life instilled in her but eventually I was won over by the sheer link between Hedi and Merry. There was even a tear shed about 3/4 of the way through this book because of Merry.

The world in which these three characters live is filled with murder, intrigue, passion, politics, betrayal and torture. However, one of the strangest portions of the book was the time Hedi spent in Threall. Hopefully more of this world will be explained in The Thing About Weres and I look forward to reading it.

To sum up, this was a good start for a first time author. There are areas that I hope to see improvement like maintaining the story and other areas that I look forward to experiencing again like Ms. Evan’s gift of word pictures. If you are looking for an adventure and don’t mind putting in a little work, this book is worth the time.

Notable Scene:

When Trowbridge had opened the coffee shop door–the second Were to enter in ten minutes–I’d dropped to my knees, stricken with the fear that I’d slipped into a hallucination of my own, and had done so without experiencing the usual shit-here-I-go slide that happens before Lou pulls me into one of hers. Then, just as quickly as it had swamped me, my fear eased. I don’t detect scents when I’m dreaming and my nose had picked up an aroma over the brewed coffee that was Trowbridge’s alone. Ten years ago, when I’d been a lovesick twelve-year-old, I hadn’t been able to put my finger on that unique thing in his personal scent signature that my hormones interpreted as “Yum, Robson Trowbridge.”

Even now older and a hell of a lot more bitter, I couldn’t find a word for it. It was just a truth, as tiresome and hard to deny as the notion that chocolate bypasses your stomach and goes straight to your hips. Trowbridge smelled different than the other Creemore Weres. He always had.

FTC Advisory: St. Martin’s/Macmillan provided me with a copy of The Trouble with Fate. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Mar 13, 2013 |
This book was a breathe of paranormal FRESH AIR. I have read an ENDLESS amount of the genre in the last few months, and to be honest, it all started swirling into a collective, repetitive, blur. This book broke the mold for me. It was action packed in JUST the right places, and with just the right amount of words.

I fell into INSTA-LOVE with the main character, Hedi Peacock. I loved her snaky attitude, I LOVED her wit, I absolutely fell for everything she held true and dear. She is definitely in my top 10 favourite female characters. I also appreciated that she wasn't your typical, toothpick thin, female protagonist that seems to populate books these days.

Robson Trowbridge, the male protagonist, was also SO amazingly written. His presence in the book added so much more to the experience. The interaction between him and Hedi was endlessly entertaining, and I pretty much couldn't turn the pages fast enough to get to their back and forth dialogue. He's a Were, but not your typical, brooding, "hear me roar" type.

Merry..OH my sweet Merry. I think she had to be my ultimate favourite "character" of the book. It was such a unique idea, and I applaud the author for the intricacies of her existence, and her relationship and importance to Hedi. She was her healer, her friend, and all while being teeny tiny, and a hanging fairy amulet from her neck.

Quick moving, and not ONE dull moment. This book had me anticipating every characters next moves-how they would react to confessions, and new developments. I ESPECIALLY loved the scene in the beginning when Hedi unleashes her pent up anger for Robson, and the fact that she believed he abandoned her many years back-UGH..my HEART.

I definitely recommend this book to fans of the paranormal, but who also enjoy a whole lot of wit and humour as a side course. Leigh Evans is officially one of my new favourites, and I can't WAIT until the next books are out!! ( )
  rmboland | Jan 11, 2013 |
The story behind THE TROUBLE WITH FATE interested me as soon as I saw the blurb. For some reason I went into the book thinking it was a YA book but quickly found out it was Paranormal Romance. I'm not really sure why I thought it was YA, cover maybe?!?

I really liked the idea of a character being half Fae and half Were. I can not recall any other book where that has happened so I as intrigued with the idea. I felt Evans she did pretty well with her main female character Hedi. I liked the mix of powers and the struggle Hedi had with herself and her mixed heritage. The romance between Hedi and Robson went from mutual hate to sex/love in a blink of an eye. I thought there could have been another scene or two thrown in to make it a bit of a smoother act but I ended up getting over it pretty quickly. Both characters had major issues but ended up fitting together well and I like them together better than I liked them apart. Make sense? There were times where I couldn't put the book down and others I wanted something to happen a little faster. The transition from scene to scene did not always feel smooth. I often found myself waiting for the transition only to find out I missed it causing me to go back a bit to re-catch up on the new scene. There was great back story revealed at a nice pace to give you a good understanding to all the rivalry that is revealed between the different groups introduced. I like the amulet storyline and I enjoyed the supporting characters as well as the main ones.

The ending left me going "huh? Really after everything that just happened? Seriously?" Definitely not an ending I was expecting but even after feeling like that the cliffhanger makes me want to pick up book two because I have to know what will happen next so I guess the ending did its job!! So although there were some obvious flaws in places and I wasn't always 100% in to the book I still enjoyed it. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Jan 9, 2013 |

Hedi Peacock, a half fae/half were barista lives a pretty normal existence with her loopy aunt Lou. When a pack of weres kidnaps her aunt she must turn to the one person she does not want to ask for help, Robson Trowbridge, the first boy she ever loved.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,408,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible