The Trouble with Fate: A Mystwalker Novel by…

The Trouble with Fate: A Mystwalker Novel (edition 2012)

by Leigh Evans

Title:The Trouble with Fate: A Mystwalker Novel
Authors:Leigh Evans
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2012), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

The Trouble with Fate: A Mystwalker Novel by Leigh Evans

The Trouble With Fate has its merits, and it's definitely not a bad start for a first novel. I particularly liked Hedi's talent of mystwalking and wished for the author to explore it more than werewolves involvement.

Apparently Hedi is a mystwalker - a rare talent among Fae that is cherished by Fae courts where Mystwalkers are educated and become the bogeymen of Fae, invisible assassins who can drive anyone mad or even kill them in their sleep. There is one thing though. The Fae closed the borders between two worlds after Hedi's parents death, and her and her aunt stayed behind.

So this is the part I liked - Hedi's exploration of her talents, her trip into the mystworld and her animated amulet, Merry, who she constantly talks to.

Everything else felt a bit messy - the plot itself, the pace which was slow, patchy and uneven and even the characters' unusually fast development because the action itself only takes a few days and we still can't avoid the whole unfortunate business of true mates and/or imprinting which I really dislike in paranormal romance genre.

Werewolves of Miss Evans will appeal to the fans of Kelley Armstrong, Patricia Briggs and Rachel Vincent - I liked them and their viciousness. I also liked the main villain and his rationalised cruelty. He was a bit of a snake. Cold and slow but with lightning fast strikes in between.

The whole ending is very intense and quite gory, and obviously creates a great buzz for the next book with its interesting twist. I just wished to hell the action was more even and linear, and the Fae side of the story was represented more equally, but I'll reserve my judgement until I read book #2. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Hedi has been hiding since she was twelve years old and a werewolf killed her father and the fae murdered her fae mother. The fae took her twin to Merenwyn and left Hedi behind in a magical cupboard. She watched as her crush - Robson Trowbridge - came into the house and found her parents but left before he found her.

Since that day, she has been hiding with her mother's sister Lou believing that Lou was the only full fae left on earth and that the werewolves would kill both of them if they knew she had escaped the massacre. Her only friend is an amulet containing a fae being. She spends her days as a barista and part-time thief caring her her aunt who is fading.

Then her aunt is kidnapped by weres and to rescue her Hedi needs to find another amulet - an amulet she last saw around the throat of Trowbridge. She has to convince him to help her and deal with her crush at the same time.

The book was filled with intense moments both between Hedi and Bridge and when they were captured and tortured byt the weres. Hedi's ability to enter a world halfway between the human world and the fae world where souls are kept also added more intensity to the story.

And talk about a cliffhanger ending... Luckily, there are currently three more books in this series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Oct 13, 2015 |
I received this book, along with the 2nd book The Thing About Weres, through Goodreads.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book going in, but I found myself enjoying it. I found myself comparing the book to those of Patricia Biggs, who is an author I really enjoy reading.
The characters in the book seemed to pop for me, and could easily relate to Heidi, who seems to live under the rules of karma, mostly bad. She is an enjoyable character, and I couldn't help but love Merry, the pendant with attitude! An enjoyable character to say the least.

This is a great 1st novel, and I am looking forward to reading more by Leigh Evans. ( )
  beckdg | Nov 22, 2014 |
Full review to be posted soon:

Quick thoughts/mini Review:

This had an awkward first half which was chock full of info-dumping which really bogged the pace down, but I really liked the heroine and I persevered and I am glad I did because the 2nd half really improved. And I was soon sucked into the story. I loved the world-building but I wished it was introduced in a much smoother way instead of long winded tangents and the romance was fun and realistic and I have to say the first love scene was surprising because it was so realistic and I liked that because it was refreshing. ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
I tried, but it is not working for me.
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |

Hedi Peacock, a half fae/half were barista lives a pretty normal existence with her loopy aunt Lou. When a pack of weres kidnaps her aunt she must turn to the one person she does not want to ask for help, Robson Trowbridge, the first boy she ever loved.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible