The Forgotten by David Baldacci

The Forgotten (edition 2012)

by David Baldacci

Member:elizbullard
Title:The Forgotten
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***
Tags:army; murder; slavery; florida; elderly; colombia; bulgaria

The Forgotten by David Baldacci

Recently added byprivate library, rshlib, tyrosine, nscanlon

From the book description: “Army Special Agent John Puller is the best there is. A combat veteran, Puller is the man the U.S. Army relies on to investigate the toughest crimes facing the nation. Now he has a new case-but this time, the crime is personal: His aunt has been found dead in Paradise, Florida.
A picture-perfect town on Florida's Gulf Coast, Paradise thrives on the wealthy tourists and retirees drawn to its gorgeous weather and beaches. The local police have ruled his aunt's death an unfortunate, tragic accident. But just before she died, she mailed a letter to Puller's father, telling him that beneath its beautiful veneer, Paradise is not all it seems to be.
What Puller finds convinces him that his aunt's death was no accident . . . and that the palm trees and sandy beaches of Paradise may hide a conspiracy so shocking that some will go to unthinkable lengths to make sure the truth is never revealed.”

This is the second book featuring Puller. I enjoyed the first book and was looking forward to reading this second instalment in what I assume is going to be a series. The story itself is okay but I was looking for a little more information on characters (his imprisoned brother) he alluded to in the first book. Sadly this did not happen. And quite frankly, by the time I got to the middle of the book I wanted to slam the covers closed every time I read the words “army creds”. Since I am writing this review, obviously I soldiered on (pun fully intended) and finished the book. Despite an interesting surprise twist at the end it is still not Mr. Baldacci’s best effort.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
too dramatic ( )
  zhoud2005 | Jun 23, 2015 |

“Army Special Agent John Puller, a combat veteran, is a CWO who is assigned to the Army's Criminal Investigation Division (CID)

In this book (#2), he has a new case---- this time, the crime is personal.
His aunt has been found dead in Paradise, Florida.

As we realize who "The Forgotten" are, in a slowly developing mystery, we see that Puller is basically a lone agent fighting corruption.

The plot does introduce other characters, such as a female one star general who comes aboard as a side kick.

...action, danger and eventual resolution....

3.5 ★

This is the August 2013 selection for my f2f mystery lovers book club” ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |
Own. John Puller, military, goes to Paradise, FL, to check on his elderly aunt and becomes involved in murder cases. This hero didn't attract me as much as Robie, but it's still a nonstop thriller. ( )
  bereanna | Jan 10, 2015 |
A new author for me. John Puller is like another Jack Reacher. Great reading and great action. John solves the murder of his aunt and the lucrative business of slave trading in the town of Paradise. ( )
  nilbett | Dec 9, 2014 |
To Aunt Peggy, an angel on earth if ever there was one.
He had the look of a man who was afraid that tonight would be his last on earth.

After he receives a posthumous note from his aunt hinting that things are horribly amiss in her Florida Gulf Coast town, Army Special Agent John Puller uncovers a shocking conspiracy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,096,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible