The Forgotten by David Baldacci

The Forgotten

by David Baldacci, Ron McLarty (Reader), Orlagh Cassidy (Reader)

674None14,125 (3.81)7
Member:gmillar
Title:The Forgotten
Authors:David Baldacci
Other authors:Ron McLarty (Reader), Orlagh Cassidy (Reader)
Info:
Collections:Books on CD listened to
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction

The Forgotten by David Baldacci

Recently added bytabascofromgudreads, cawilson, NancieLea, private library, Elpaca, pathfindercentral
#2 (3) 2012 (4) 2013 (8) Adult Fiction (3) adventure (3) army (7) audio (6) audiobook (10) conspiracy (5) crime (4) ebook (9) fiction (52) Florida (16) hardcover (4) human trafficking (6) John Puller (16) Kindle (8) Large Print (6) murder (4) murder mystery (3) mystery (21) novel (6) read (6) read in 2013 (4) series (3) slavery (6) suspense (12) thriller (21) to-read (11) USA (4)

Can a book be totally gruesome but a wonderful audio to listen to? Of course! And why not have TWO superheros? This is almost an on-the-ground Superman situation---if the two "big" fellows could only fly we would have everything! Seriously, of course a lot of what happens seems totally impossible but for a story....it's just fine! ( )
  nyiper | Mar 26, 2014 |
I like a lot of Baldacci's books and this one is no exception. I plan at some point to read the first book in the series.

Here Baldacci takes on human trafficking and unbeknownst to John Puller he will be too. John's aunt and surrogate mother has written a letter to his father alluding to strange things happening. John is sent to find out what the problem is, only find she died. He believes she had a little help and he plans to prove it one way or another.

He starts by running foul of the local police almost as soon as he gets into town. Next he runs into to some local thugs who need to be taught a lesson. Things in Paradise appear to be anything but. There is a lot going on and John plans to get to the bottom of it. ( )
  readafew | Mar 12, 2014 |
A strange, hard to believe tale about human slave trade taking place in the Florida panhandle. Over the top violence, characters (both male and female) that were hard to tell apart and a preposterous storyline. I stuck with it with difficulty. I expected more. ( )
  repb | Mar 9, 2014 |
This is an ok story, John Puller is investigating the death of his Aunt in Florida, he stumbles across a few sinister goings on. He with the help of a Bulgarian giant and a secret Colombian agent stop a people smugglng operation. OK book I guess ( )
  Daftboy1 | Feb 27, 2014 |
The Forgotten by David Baldacci is the second book in a series featuring Army CID Special Agent John Puller as its protagonist. John Puller visits his father, a retired three-star general, in a VA hospital and is confronted with a letter by his aunt who wants him to come down to her home in Paradise, Florida. In the letter, Puller's aunt talks about mysterious happenings and people not being who they seem to be. When John Puller arrives in Paradise and finds out that his aunt is dead and the police does not investigate the case, he starts investigating himself. Throughout the course of his investigation, more and more people vanish and die in the once so calm retirement village Paradise.
Next to the main plot, there is the story of a man named Mecho, who remains a very mysterious and shady character until towards the end of the book. Mecho is a tall guy who was captured by modern-day slave traders but managed to flee from an oil platform in the Gulf off the Florida coast. He arrives on a beach in Paradise, Florida, the same night Puller's aunt is killed. Mecho takes on a job as a laborer for a landscaping company, his sole purpose to remain in Paradise being to find his sister and to exact revenge on the slave traders.

When I started reading the novel, I was afraid that I should have read the first novel in the John Puller series first. However, this proved not to be too problematic. While all the characters are very interesting and I enjoyed their development throughout the story, this was especially true for John Puller. Although he has some quirks, I basically loved accompanying him right from the first page. To my mind, the characters are one of the strong suits of this book.

Baldacci manages to write thrilling crime fiction that is even humorous at times. His story about modern-day slave trade in the United States of America is credible. His pace and timing are very good so that you do not want to put down your book and do something else instead. While the story unfolds and new leads and clues are presented, the pages just keep turning and suddenly you find yourself wondering that you are already halfway through the book.

This has been my first book by David Baldacci but it certainly will not be the last. If I had not got this as a Christmas present I probably never would have tried Baldacci. But then I certainly would have missed out on some of the most entertaining crime fiction novels I have read so far. I would recommend this book to every reader who loves the genre. I will certainly go ahead and read the first novel in the John Puller series, that is Zero Day.

Entertaining, thrilling, fast-paced. 5 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Jan 3, 2014 |
To Aunt Peggy, an angel on earth if ever there was one.
He had the look of a man who was afraid that tonight would be his last on earth.

Army Special Agent John Puller is the best there is. A combat veteran, Puller is the man the U.S. Army relies on to investigate the toughest crimes facing the nation. Now he has a new case-but this time, the crime is personal: His aunt has been found dead in Paradise, Florida.

A picture-perfect town on Florida's Gulf Coast, Paradise thrives on the wealthy tourists and retirees drawn to its gorgeous weather and beaches. The local police have ruled his aunt's death an unfortunate, tragic accident. But just before she died, she mailed a letter to Puller's father, telling him that beneath its beautiful veneer, Paradise is not all it seems to be.

What Puller finds convinces him that his aunt's death was no accident . . . and that the palm trees and sandy beaches of Paradise may hide a conspiracy so shocking that some will go to unthinkable lengths to make sure the truth is never revealed.

After he receives a posthumous note from his aunt hinting that things are horribly amiss in her Florida Gulf Coast town, Army Special Agent John Puller uncovers a shocking conspiracy.

487 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible