Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes…

Michael Symon's Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers

by Michael Symon

Other authors: Douglas Trattner

I liked it enough and found some things I want to try making ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
I am a big fan of Mike Symon's cooking and his cooking style, so this book was on my wishlist. However, this book is only for serious Carnivores! Out of 120 recipes, 30 are side dishes, which is good, they all look to be good recipes and the one we tried so far was good. The side dishes may be the best part.

Out of the 20 'Beef' recipes, I would say 10 are for your average meat loving cook, assuming you eat veal. Of the others, 5 have ingredients that only really serious carnivores would be able to find and would eat - sweetbreads, veal hearts, veal short ribs, marrow bones and tripe (not hard to find, just hard to eat...). 3 more are for making your own pastrami, corned beef and hot dogs. The other 2 are just a little exotic - beef tartare and stuffed brisket.

The pork section is even more of a challenge, unless you cook pig heads and other parts and make your own sausage. The game section is for people who can find quail, squab, rabbit, elk, venison, etc and choose to eat them. You could substitute beef or chicken, but then you'd have to adjust the recipes.

In general a good cookbook, but unless you are really adventurous, about 50% of it won't be useful for you. That is a bit high percentage for cookbooks, but the quality makes up for the quantity of recipes. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 4, 2013 |
I don't eat a lot of meat, and I hardly ever cook it at home, but I adore Michael Symon!! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |

Michael Symonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Trattner, Douglassecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Michael Symon is loved across the country by folks who watch him on Food Network's Iron Chef America, Cooking Channel's Cook Like an Iron Chef, and ABC's much-buzzed The Chew, which debuted in September 2011. Fans adore his big, charismatic personality and his seriously delicious food. But there's one thing Michael is known for above else: his unabashed love of meat. A devoted carnivore, Michael calls the cuisine at his six Midwestern restaurants "meat-centric." Now, in MICHAEL SYMON'S CARNIVORE, he combines his passion and expertise in one stellar cookbook. Michael gives home cooks just the right amount of key information on breeds, cuts, and techniques to help them at the meat counter and in the kitchen and then lets loose with fantastic recipes for beef, pork, poultry, lamb, goat, and game. Favorites include Broiled Porterhouse with Garlic and Lemon, Ribs with Cleveland BBQ Sauce, Braised Chicken Thighs with Kale and Chiles, Lamb Moussaka, and Bacon-Wrapped Rabbit Legs. Recipes for sides that enhance the main event, like Apple and Celeriac Salad and Sicilian Cauliflower, round out the book. Michael's enthusiasm and warmth permeate the text, and with 75 beautiful color photographs, MICHAEL SYMON'S CARNIVORE is a rich and informative cookbook for every meat lover"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,722,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible