Aftereffects: Zombie Therapy: From the Case…

Aftereffects: Zombie Therapy: From the Case Files of Dr. Victor Frenzel

by Zane Bradey

212,551,640 (2.5)None
Recently added byDranea, Eisler

A virus outbreak has started the zombie apocalypse. But what do you do with a bunch of zombies who have been cured? You send them to a zombie shrink, of course! The zombies who have been cured by a the "Beaver" have gotten their lives back, with one major downfall. They remember everything that happened to them and everything they did as a zombie. Eating your neighbors? Yup - they remember. Plus other things that I won't mention, not because they aren't interesting, I just don't want to ruin the surprise for you. :)

I'm having a hard time reviewing this book for a few reasons. There are many things in the book I enjoyed. The stories told by the patients are interesting, action-packed, and well written. However, by the time we reached the 3rd patient, I already guessed what would happen in that scenario. The other issue that I had was the pattern of the patient sessions followed the same pattern, with the exception of one lying patient. That one caught my attention because it was the only one that deviated from the step 1, 2 and 3 pattern that was established for the sessions. After a while, the thrill of starting the new chapter wore off, and I caught myself skimming through the first parts and then going back because I didn't know who the patient was. :( I also believe the stories of the patients would have been more engaging and thrilling had they been told from the patient's 1st person POV. There were scene breaks showing where it went from the doctor's narration to the patient's story, so I don't think it would have made anything confusing by adding this in, and giving us the first-hand account of the things that happened.

Another thing that bothered me in the book was that the therapist seemed to have conflicting reasons for killing the previously infected patients. At the beginning, we know he hates them for killing his wife. But as he starts the interviews **POSSIBLE SPOILERS FROM HERE TILL THE END!!** he seems that he is looking for an ounce of remorse for their actions. When he sees none, he kills them. Then later in the book, it seems he wants to find the people who were infected near the school his wife was killed by. So, I'm still not really sure which it was, considering some of the people he killed either A) were no where near the school and B)never once got asked if they felt any remorse for what they had done and never mentioned it themselves. So it seems that sometimes the doctor just killed because ultimately, he felt that killing them was the only way to free these people completely from what they had been infected by... BUT... even if we go by that standard, he lets one of his patients live. So there goes all the theories that I have for his motivation right there.

The last thing I had (major) issues with in the book was there was NO ENDING - at all. Even if a book is to be the first in a series, it must bear the burden of having a beginning, a middle, and an end. This book has a beginning, a loooong, but descriptive and action-packed middle, but no ending whatsoever. Nothing was explained. Nothing was wrapped up. We are left hanging with a part one of book one, leaving us looking for the second half of this book.

The premise for this book is fabulous. The author has a great talent for picking up on what us zombie fans like - the action, the zombies themselves, and the creepiness of the never-say-stop pursuit of their next meal. The twist Zane added in for the zombies is one I have never heard before and made me anxious to read the book. I'm not unhappy that I read it, just disappointed in the inconsistencies and the lack of structuring. Oh yea - and I would have preferred an ending to the book. :)

If you don't mind cliffhangers when we don't really know if anything else is coming, and loads of brains, blood and storytelling, this is a book you will enjoy. I would be interested in reading the next book to see how his writing style develops and if he approaches the second book any differently. ( )
  Dranea | Jan 1, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,663,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible