Secrets of Shakespeare's Grave: The…

Secrets of Shakespeare's Grave: The Shakespeare Mysteries, Book 1

by Deron R. Hicks

It's been a while sine I read a YA novel, and the pace of this was satisfyingly brisk. I was drawn in to the plight of the Letterford family and repulsed by those who laid plans to undermine them, but I knew that things would probably work out, and I would not have to wait long to find out how it went. The story is told in simple, but not condescending language and is filled with intellectual references that give the narrative sophistication. I love the relationship between the heroine, Colophon, and her brother, and how it evolves as they embark on an adventure to save their family's livelihood, and also the acceptance of black-sheep cousin Julian, who helps the mystery to be solved and achieves the satisfaction of a lifelong quest. I look forward to the next installment of this entertaining series. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
I recommend this book to anyone who fears to immediately jump in to any Shakespeare classic; it provides an unbeatable, fast-paced account of the celebrated author's major life details. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
Colophon Letterford's family has been in the publishing business for centuries -- and, unlike her older brother Case, Colophon loves everything about the family business. When a shady figure from a distant branch of the family poses a threat to everything Colophon holds dear, she knows some drastic action will be necessary. Then she meets Julian, the black sheep of the family, who has devoted his entire life to finding a legendary family treasure (which nobody else in the family believes exists). Working together, Colophon and Julian follow the clues to Stratford-Upon-Avon. Can Colophon and Julian find the family treasure in time to save the family business?

I can see fans of other juvenile mysteries enjoying this book, though there's less of the danger/competition aspect that one finds in many juvenile mystery series. As an adult reader, there were times when certain plot points strained credulity, but I think the book's intended audience would get more enjoyment out of it than I did. And that's not to say that I did't like the book -- I did. I'm just not sure I'd recommend it to other grown-ups . . . but I'll definitely recommend it to kids! ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 1, 2013 |
This is one of those cases that justifies the saying" Don't judge abook by its cover." I was somewhat reluctant to try the book because of the cartoonish nature of the cover picture. I'm so glad that I decided to give it a try. It is a kid's version of a Dan Brown novel, full of adventure, suspense, and historical intrigue. The characters are well developed and there is just the right touch of humor. The contemporary dialogue will attract 4th through 7th grade readers but it does not talk down to the them. It is full of beautiful descriptive language that would make it a good mentor text for word choice and vivid vocabulary usage. This book had everything; secret codes and passageways, humorous chase scenes, nail biting adventures in a cemetary and of course the evil plotting villian. I can't wait for the sequel. Sign me up for the Letterford Mystery Series fan club! ( )
  asomers | May 2, 2013 |
Clearly the first in a series. Colophon Letterford's father is the head of the prestigious Letterford publishing company, but lately things have been going seriously wrong for them. While Colophon and a cousin work to figure out where the family treasure is hidden (by flying to London and going to Shakespeare's burial place and almost getting buried themselves) she has her brother accompany their father on his visits with important authors. However, very strange things keep happening to thwart these author visits.
Kids who like mysteries where the kid figures out all of the clues will go for this, though I was not enchanted by it. It was decent, though. ( )
  ChristianR | Dec 6, 2012 |

Twelve-year-old Colophon Letterford has a serious mystery on her hands. Will she discover the link between her family’s literary legacy and Shakespeare’s tomb before it’s too late? Antique paintings, secret passages, locked mausoleums, a four-hundred-year-old treasure, and a cast of quirky (and some ignoble) characters all add up to a fun original adventure. Readers will revel in a whirlwind journey through literary time and space in real-world locales from Mont St. Michel to Stratford-Upon-Avon to Central Park!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:15 -0400)

"Twelve-year-old Colophon Letterford has a serious mystery on her hands. Will she discover the link between her family's literary legacy and Shakespeare's tomb before it's too late?"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,069,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible