Colors Like Memories by Meradeth Houston

Colors Like Memories

by Meradeth Houston

194537,190 (4.75)None

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book and the new take on guardian angels. The author writes in such style that you feel every emotion the character feels. The storyline is well developed and has a natural flow. I would recommend this to readers of the YA genre. Look forward to more from this author. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Nov 27, 2013 |
Colors Like Memories is a wonderful book. I couldn't put it down and read it in one day. Its a story about an angle who is to help a young girl find value in her own life. Both girls help each other find their purpose. I recommend this book to everyone. ( )
  rgleason14 | Jul 12, 2013 |
Check out my blog for more on this book, including the book tour with a giveaway and an excerpt. My stop is 10/12 Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/

Wow, this was one of the most interesting reads I have read in awhile. From the moment I fell in love with the beautiful cover, until I started the first page. I was captivated right from the start.
I never read a book quite like this one either. I never heard of the Sary, they are like guardian Angels I guess, but mostly their assignments are to prevent troubled people from committing suicide. I do not want to give too much away, so will keep this spoiler free as I can.

I was really able to connect with the characters. I felt what they felt. Especially Julia, her pain and the emotions she brought were felt by me, and think they will for anyone reading this book. Even though lots of time has passed, she is still not able to let go of her guilt at the death of her companion (the man she loves) She still blames herself for his release from the Sary, and then his death (once released from the Sary, he was a normal human, in the middle of a war zone.) Her pain is so crushing, you feel it with her.

The author does an amazing job with all of the emotions and turmoil.
We jump back and forth in Julia’s long life, to when she was with her companion Derek and the present time and her current assignment. But this is done very well; I did not feel lost at all. It’s like Julia thinking back to that time, a recollection. And I enjoyed being able to learn about her and Derek.

In the modern time, we have a new possible love interest, one who could help her move on (it’s been 150 years, its time she moves on) and I really like him. I won’t say much about him, as I want you to learn about him yourself.

I at first did not feel connected to Julia’s assignment Marcy, to me she was weak, with all the attempted suicides, and being walked all over. But i was glad Julia was there for her. I was also happy to see her stand up for herself later in the book, so that was good.

There is a bit of suspense too, I was anxious on what would happen in a crucial part of this, a consequence to some actions, I don’t want to say, for it would be a spoiler, but it was suspenseful for sure.

There is only one little tiny thing I didn’t like, and this is a totally personal preference to me. The descriptions of the characters are pretty vague, like I never did get a clear idea on what Juila looked like, or Marcy. But the guys were described, but I was not impressed with the descriptions, she goes on to describe the most gorgeous brown eyes, Brown eyes? Well, nothing great about that, it’s the most common color, so to me it didn’t scream supernatural great looks, etc as it should of. But that’s my personal taste of course. As we are talking about a type of angel, just expected something a little more unique and stand out.

Overall, I loved this book a lot. I really hope there will be more in this line of a story. The whole Sary types are different for me, and would like to read more.
5 out of 5 stars for me.

I received a complimentary copy of this book for book tour and my honest review. ( )
  ConciseReviews | Oct 11, 2012 |
MY REVIEW
I received this e-copy direct from the author, in exchange for my honest review and opinion.
I like the cover, the floating feather and how the scene is in a red hue does make the book cover look appealing. Does the cover go with the story? That's where the lone feather is relevant and after reading the book I imagine the scene being of Paradise Island.
The plot is quite different in that the "beings" are called The Sary. A Sary is the soul of a child that never took his or her first breath. The soul is given a choice to go "into the light" or become a Sary. So what's a Sary do? A Sary is assigned to a human who is suicidal. It is the Sary's job to try and help the human and prevent them from committing suicide.
So Julia is a Sary and is assigned to Marcy. Marcy has family and boyfriend issues. But then Julia also has problems too, se is depressed herself over the death of her companion Sary Derek. So can Julia overcome her sadness and depression enough to actually help Marcy.
I don't want to say a great deal more for the sake of revealing spoilers.
I really liked this book as I thought it's quite a different concept. I haven't read any others with "The Sary" in them so that appealed to me. There's quite a lot going on too, there's Marcy's story, then Julia's past, then a new guy arrives in town called Edison and it's a case of what or who is he. There's things going on with Marcy's violent ex-boyfriend. Marcy has no one else to turn to but Julia as her mother recently died and since then her father has taken to drinking excessively There is also the consequence of if Julia fails her assignment she may even lose her position of Sary, which would then break the last promise she ever made to her Sary companion Derek.
I really got into this book straight away and it kept my interest all the way through to the end. It didn't end as I had thought, but I did like the ending it had. All the questions raised were answered, which is always good. Could there be a Bk#2? I think so yes and it could have all three main characters, Marcy, Edison and Julia as well as introducing more of the Sary too.
So did I enjoy the book?Yes Would I read more in this series? Yes would love to, in my opinion it has plenty of scope for more stories etc. Would I read more by Meradeth Houston? Yes I really enjoyed her writing style, it flowed so easily and had just enough details to envisage what she was describing without becoming bogged down with too much information or words as some books I have previously read have had.
Would I recommend? Yes I think it would appeal to quite a wide market, YA, Romance, Historical..... ( )
  Sanz71 | Sep 30, 2012 |

Julia has a secret: she killed the guy she loved. It was an accident—sort of.

Julia is a Sary, the soul of a child who died before taking her first breath. Without this 'breath of life' she and others like her must help those on the verge of suicide. It's a job Julia used to enjoy, until the accident that claimed her boyfriend’s life—an accident she knows was her fault. If living with the guilt weren't enough, she's now assigned to help a girl dealing with the loss of her mother, something Julia's not exactly the best role model for. If she can't figure out a way to help her, Julia's going to lose her position in the Sary, something she swore to her boyfriend would never happen.

Meradeth Houston is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,406,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible