Marie Curie and Her Daughters: The Private…

Marie Curie and Her Daughters: The Private Lives of Science's First… (2012)

by Shelley Emling

Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain by Kirsten Menger-Anderson (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Marie Curie's work with radioactive elements inspired the radium supplement fad of the 1930's. In one of the stories in Menger-Anderson's collection, a woman takes radium supplements in hopes that they will cure her infertility.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An unevenly written account of the Curie women and their relationship. I liked reading more about Marie and the woman behind the scientist, and I really enjoyed learning more about Irene. I'm glad I got a chance to read this book.

sorry it took me so long to post this review - I thought I had already added it! ( )
  cmbohn | Oct 17, 2016 |
jun 2013
  MatkaBoska | Jun 15, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the beginning I was concerned I wasn't going to be able to finish the book. It didn't seem to be grabbing me. But before I knew it, I was completely involved in the story of Marie Curie. I was touched by her humility (her daughters reported that they didn't know their mom was famous until her initial tour of the US), her drive, her single-mindedness, her gift to science and mankind, her passion... What a feat that her husband, daughter, and both sons-in-law were also Nobel Prize winners. Great read... left me wanting to learn more. ( )
  mlvanmeter-read | Dec 27, 2013 |
Review copy provided by LibraryThing

In this short, but fascinating book, Shelley Emling tells the story of one of the most renowned science families, Marie Curie and her daughters. Often portrayed as an introvert or subservient to her husband Pierre Curie, Emling shows that Marie was a power to be reckoned with, not only redefining science for generations to come, but being a humanitarian as well. Emling draws on personal letters and interviews from Curie's only granddaughter, providing an in-depth look into this family as never before seen.

Emling provides a fantastic look into the life of a science pioneer and her influence and relationship with her two daughters. Both of whom were instrumental in their own ways, Irene for her involvement in nuclear fission, and Eve as a writer and humanitarian. Emling's writing style is engaging and makes the reader feel like they're sitting across from the Curie's having a conversation with them. Even better the style and tone is casual, so that a reader doesn't need a scientific background to enjoy the book.

Emling holds nothing back, allowing readers to see the good and the bad of the Curie women, and provides a truthful look into their lives. I would highly recommend this book to all readers, as there is something in it for everyone. I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  zzshupinga | Dec 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Marie Curie and her Daughters is a compelling and fascinating account of Marie Curie's personal life and the lives of her daughters. Many books about the quintessential female scientist focus on her prodigious scientific achievements, but this one delves a little deeper into her relationships with her daughters and other family members.

I find it fascinating how little has changed in 100 years when it comes to the dilemmas women face when they are faced with a career in science and raising a family... and not much has changed in how we are judged when we choose to prioritize one over the other!

I was really captivated by the lives of Marie's daughters Irene and Eve, maybe even more so than the life of Marie, who by this point I've read a lot about. Irene was an equally capable scientist and also won a Nobel Prize, Eve was an incredible globe-trotting journalist. It's incredible to read about such outspoken women, and I owe them an awful lot for paving the way for future women in science (or really, in any career field). ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 15, 2013 |

A new portrait of the two-time Nobel winner and her two daughters

Focusing on the first family in science, this biography of Marie Curie plumbs the recesses of her relationships with her two daughters, extraordinary in their own right, and presents the legendary scientist to us in a fresh way.

Although the common image is that of a shy introvert toiling away in her laboratory, highly praised science writer Shelley Emling shows how Marie Curie was nothing short of an iconoclast. Her affair with a younger and married man drew the enmity of a xenophobic French establishment, who denied her entry to the Academy of Sciences and tried to expel her from France. But she was determined to live life how she saw fit, and passed on her resilience to her daughters. Emling draws on personal letters released by Curie’s only granddaughter to show how Marie influenced her daughters yet let them blaze their own paths. Irene followed her mother’s footsteps into science and was instrumental in the discovery of nuclear fission. Eve traveled the world as a foreign correspondent and then moved on to humanitarian missions.

Emling also shows how Curie, following World War I, turned to America for help. Few people know about Curie’s close friendship with American journalist Missy Meloney, who arranged speaking tours across the country for Marie and Eve and Irene. Months on the road, charming audiences both large and small, endeared the Curies to American women and established a lifelong relationship with the United States that formed one of the strongest connections of Marie’s life. Without the financial support of American women, Marie might not have been able to go on with her research.

Continuing the family story into the third generation, Emling also interviews Marie Curie’s granddaughter Helene Joliot-Curie, who is an accomplished physicist in her own right. She reveals why her grandmother was a lot more than just a scientist and how Marie’s trips to America forever changed her. Factually rich, personal and original, this is an engrossing story about the most famous woman in science that rips the cover off the myth and reveals the real person, friend, and mother behind it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:47 -0400)

"Marie Curie was the first person to be honored by two Nobel Prizes and she pioneered the use of radiation therapy for cancer patients. But she was also a mother, widowed young, who raised two extraordinary daughters alone: Irene, a Nobel Prize winning chemist in her own right, who played an important role in the development of the atomic bomb, and Eve, a highly regarded humanitarian and journalist, who fought alongside the French Resistance during WWII. As a woman fighting to succeed in a male dominated profession and a Polish immigrant caught in a xenophobic society, she had to find ways to support her research. Drawing on personal interviews with Curie's descendents, as well as revelatory new archives, this is a wholly new story about Marie Curie--and a family of women inextricably connected to the dawn of nuclear physics"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shelley Emling's book Marie Curie and Her Daughters: The Private Lives of Science's First Family was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,108,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible