Let's Face It by Jodi R Moore

Let's Face It

by Jodi R Moore

133723,089 (4)None

{ Review originally posted on my blog, PidginPea's Book Nook. }

Confession: I had acne before the other kids in my class even knew what acne was. Even now in my late 20s, I still have it, and I'm still waiting to grow out of it.

So I related to this book on a pretty personal level. Some of the things Kaylin deals with because of her acne (like comparing herself to other girls, and wondering if boys don't like her because of her or because of her face) were things that I dealt with growing up too. She has an honest, straightforward voice that makes her quite an endearing narrator.

Kaylin's passion for science was a big part of the book. It leads her from her school science fair, to a summer internship at a company that makes acne products, to meeting with a real scientist who's on her way to developing a vaccine for acne. Any readers who are into science would definitely enjoy reading about Kaylin's experiments and adventures. However, readers who aren't so into it may find Let's Face It a little hard to get through, as science is such a major element of both the plot and Kaylin's personality.

In addition to struggling with acne, Kaylin also has boy troubles. She's crushing on Sean, a guy who will barely give her the time of day. While I was on her friends' side and wanted to help get her over this loser as soon as possible, I still felt for her, because I did the same thing when I was younger. Does any girl make it through middle or high school without falling helplessly in love (or in "love," but it feels like serious love at the time) with at least one guy who treats them like dirt?

But then there's Charlie. I loved how their relationship developed really slowly, and how Kaylin was pretty much oblivious to his feelings for her. The little hints Charlie dropped that she never picked up on were precious. I think my favorite was the trip to get ice for the party. :) Charlie is a great guy; whenever Kaylin's feeling discouraged, whether in her scientific pursuits or in her pursuit of Sean, Charlie is right there to help pick her spirits back up.

I wasn't crazy about was the book's unrealistic ending, which was just a little too neat and tidy for my tastes. However, when I was younger I wouldn't have wanted to read a realistic ending. I would have wanted to read a happy, hopeful ending, which is just what Moore delivers.

Let's Face It is a smoothly paced read with a subtle girl power message. Kaylin pursues her dreams, and when she's thrown off track a bit, she just finds another way to get where she wants to be. Her friends are with her every step of the way, and she finds a little romance along the way too. Older YA readers may find Let's Face It a little on the juvenile side, but it's definitely a great book for younger readers who could look up to Kaylin. ( )
  PidginPea | Aug 26, 2012 |
What a clean, fun, smart, and last but not least inspirational story for teens! I really enjoyed how the story centers around the personality of the characters, they are presented clearly and thoughtfully. While there is teen romance, it goes beyond that and shows you that teenage girls are not just texting, and boy crazy! ( )
  Deb_Mac | Jun 8, 2012 |
Other reviews like this at thebookbabesreads.blogspot.com

This book is just so darn cute. The characters are cute, the story is cute, the entire book is cute. It was the perfect read for me right now. Less hardcore, more cute. I really liked the character of Kaylin, even though I don't understand her like of science, because I always hated science. But even though she talked about science all the time, she did it in a very easy to understand way, not in a 'Haha, I'm smarter than you and I know all about science' way, which trust me, was a plus. My favorite thing about Kaylin though, was her drive. She was driven to cure acne. One of the most impossible ventures in the world, and she was all about doing it. No fear.

The author wrote it in a way that it was believable, but also very hard sounding, with you never knowing whether she will succeed or not. It's just one of those things, you won't know if you don't try. I thought that Kaylin and Charlie's friendship was just adorable, and that it made the story better. Charlie was so willing to just be there for Kaylin, and to be a great friend for her, when her other friends maybe weren't.

I liked the research that Kaylin did about acne medications and acne washes, and how all of them can't possibly work for everyone. Nothing works for everybody, and Kaylin communicates that very well. I've never actually thought about interning at a science company, (hello, where would I find one in Po-Dunk, Arkansas?) but even if I had the chance, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't.

Yet again, I admire Kaylin's drive. I also admire the way that she grew in this story. She really grew into a nicer, sweeter girl. She stopped worrying about all of her problems, and more about the world's problems. (Even if the world's problem, in this case, was acne.)

So, all in all, I definitely enjoyed it, and I recommend it for younger girls especially. :)

*Book Provided by Author for review*
♠♠♠♠
Favorite Quote:
That's why I liked talking to Charlie. He always made me feel better. Like he was on my side. Rooting for me. Wanting me to be happy. ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | May 31, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible