I, Too, Am America by Langston Hughes

I, Too, Am America

by Langston Hughes

add
  HoughHouse | Jul 21, 2017 |
"Winner of the Coretta Scott King illustrator award, I, Too, Am America blends the poetic wisdom of Langston Hughes with visionary illustrations from Bryan Collier in this inspirational picture book that carries the promise of equality."
  JenaiEllison | Jul 20, 2017 |
The poem is great, short, and strong and depicts a lot of events but in a simple way which makes it great to read for young readers.
  vovasameh | Jun 5, 2017 |
I really liked this book for two reasons. First, this book is a Langston Hughes poem stretched into a children's picture book. This gives a new life to the poem. Each line in the poem, whether it just has one word or a complete sentence, has its own page (or two) with an illustration. The impact of the poem can be felt through the images and presentation alone. I also enjoyed the message of the book. "I, Too, Am America" is a poem detailing the struggle that African Americans go through to be accepted as equals. Langston Hughes preaches that African Americans must stand strong in the face of adversity and take the respect they deserve. Each ilne in this poem is extremely powerful and inspirational. I believe any student, especially African American students, will learn to appreciate their true value after reading this book. ( )
  gregclemens | Apr 17, 2017 |
I love Langston Hughes' poetry and I am so glad I decided to buy this version of his poem because now I have a new illustrator to admire and collect. Bryan Collier has won numerous awards, which is unsurprising. He uses a sort of collage technique, cutting out his own drawings, textiles, photographic images and different weights of paper. They are at the same time physically realistic and abstract. And the words are very moving, as ever. ( )
  Deborahrs | Apr 15, 2017 |

Presents the popular poem by one of the central figures in the Harlem Renaissance, highlighting the courage and dignity of the African American Pullman porters in the early twentieth century.

Legacy Library: Langston Hughes

Langston Hughes has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Langston Hughes's legacy profile.

See Langston Hughes's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,014,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible