Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry…

Friday the Rabbi Slept Late (1964)

by Harry Kemelman

Series: Rabbi Small (1)

English (12)  Danish (1)  All (13)
This is the first book of the Rabbi Small series. I love this kind of cozy mystery, it is exactly to my taste and therefore I will continue with this series.
In this story, one will meet Rabbi Small. He is a young rabbi who is interested in the study and interpretation of the Talmud. The Jewish community has yet to get used to it. However, he gains their respect because he can settle disputes with the interpretations as well as save communal members from the prison.
He also has detective tendencies, which he can use fully as the handbag of a murdered woman is found in his car. He supports the chief of police Hugh Lanigan with his reflections, but also makes his own research.
The book is amusing for reading and captivating from the beginning. ( )
  Ameise1 | Apr 23, 2017 |
Are you jonesing for Mad Men? Well, this quirky little mystery book will satisfy your need to be thrown back into early 1960’s American culture. This is one book in a series of Rabbi mysteries so fret not – you can find more of them.

Rabbi David Small is an unconventional, shabby scholar who has been hired as the religious leader of a small but growing Jewish enclave. The congregation leaders are mostly well to do businessman and up and comers whose use for the synagogue is more networking with each other than god.

A murder occurs near the Temple and all manner of individuals associated with the Temple, including Rabbi Small, are under suspicion. The Rabbi has a unique take on life, frequently turning to texts and religious works to find answers to moral and legal problems facing his flock.

Think a combination of Columbo and Quincy and you have Rabbi Small. Inevitably, problem solved. Easy reading and something just a little different than your average mystery story. It’s not mind bending stuff here, just entertaining. ( )
  ozzie65 | Dec 21, 2016 |
First in the Rabbi series, they all educate the reader about Jewish traditions and have fun being a mystery along the way. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is a easy book to listen to while walking for fitness. A woman's body is found on the grounds of the Temple and her handbag was found in the backseat of his car in the parking lot. The Rabbi is a suspect and his congregation doesn't want the notriety. There was a big clue early on and I guessed the murderer and it was just left to the Rabbi Small to solve the case. ( )
  Kathy89 | Dec 6, 2015 |
I probably read this book many years ago and enjoyed it. Frankly, I think it's a bit dated. I figured out the mystery pretty early on but wasn't sure how Rabbi Small would get there. Actually, I am surprised the police chief didn't get it when I did. Some of the stereotypes are wearing thin for me. Although Jewish, I don't know that much about the Talmud. However I really didn't see much in the way of Talmudic logic in Rabbi Small's deductions. OK, but I probably won't bother with the rest of the series ( )
  krazy4katz | Oct 4, 2015 |

Harry Kemelmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO MY FATHER AND MOTHER
They sat in the chapel and waited.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743434870, Mass Market Paperback)

Rabbi David Small, the new leader of Barnard's Crossing's Jewish community, can't even enjoy his Sabbath without things getting stirred up in a most unorthodox manner: It seems a young nanny has been found strangled, less than a hundred yards from the Temple's parking lot -- and all the evidence points to the Rabbi.

Add to that the not-so-quiet rumblings of his disgruntled congregation, and you might say our inimitable hero needs a miracle from a Higher Source to save him....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:05 -0400)

Unaware that his congregation is grumbling about his rumpled appearance and absent-minded manner, Rabbi Small spends long hours poring over scholarly books. But he is forced to face his congregants' discontent when the police discover a young woman's body outside the temple--and her handbag in his car. Suddenly Rabbi Small must study motives and uncover the killer, or lose more than his followers.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,698,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible