Golem by David Wisniewski

Golem by David Wisniewski is a story takes place in a city in Prague during the time of hatred against the Jews. This story is a retelling of an ancient Jewish folklore about the towns Rabbi who decides the only way to save his people is make a giant out of mud and bring him to life. The giant ends up saving the town and begging to not be sent back to the earth as they agreed. He ends up returning to the earth in wait for a day that he may be needed again.
This story is very much out of my norm of picture books I would chose but upon trying to broaden my selection I found this book. I think it is a very interesting story and gives the children something animated and imaginative to tie to such a serious period in time.
This book would be a perfect addition to a unit over discrimination and the effects of it. I also think this would be a good book to tie into an art project due to the unique illustration work in this book. Upon researching this book I discovered that he created these pictures by cutting paper. Overall a very interesting book and I think it would be great to keep kids interested in a more serious topic.
  Linzie12 | Mar 26, 2017 |
I would use this as an interactive read aloud for 5th grade. I would use this book in 5th grade because it is too lengthy for younger grades, it focuses on the Jewish religion and not all students will understand specific terms or phrases, and it also contains a large amount of violence. I would use this to teach about religious diversity because students need to that there are many diverse religions and the reasons why there is violence between them. ( )
  kbellot | Mar 6, 2017 |
The illustrations in the book are very dark yet impressive by using the cut paper technique. While this is a picture book, the underlying message of provoking a being using magical powers beyond human control to protect an oppressed people is for an older audience, at least fourth grade. ( )
  Chafkins | Oct 21, 2016 |
Retold from traditional sources and accompanied by David Wisniewski's unique cut-paper illustrations, Golem is a dramatic tale of supernatural forces invoked to save an oppressed people. It also offers a thought-provoking look at the consequences of unleashing power beyond human control. The afterword discusses the legend of the golem and its roots in the history of the Jews. A Caldecott Medal Book.
This book would be good for folk tales, talking about historical oppression, imagery especially relating to color (i.e light vs. dark, big vs. small). It is a beautifully written and illustrated book. A craft activity to go with it could be something more artistic like creating a relief collage of their own, or something more scholastic like writing a new ending, or creating an argument as to whether or not the rabbi should have created the Golem in the first place.
  Sara1211 | Sep 5, 2016 |
I would use this book for a fourth or fifth grade class because of the length and the violence. I would use it to teach folk lore, and about the Jewish Traditions. it would be a good book to use to incorporate religious diversity and cultural diversity, especially if I had a Jewish student in my class.
  TaylorWebb | Mar 28, 2016 |
For Donna
c. 1 Brodell Family
c. 2 Cramer - Barash Family
c. 3 Michael & Debra Davis

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395726182, Hardcover)

Golem is the Hebrew word for shapeless man. According to Jewish legend, the renowned scholar and teacher Rabbi Loew used his powers to create a Golem from clay in order to protect his people from persecution in the ghettos of 16th-century Prague. (This was the time of the Blood Lie, when hostile gentiles claimed that Jews were mixing the blood of Christian children with the flour and water of matzo.) David Wisniewski's cut-paper collage illustrations--which earned him the Caldecott Medal in 1997--are the ideal medium for portraying the stark black-and-white forces of good and evil, pride and prejudice, as well as the gray area that emerges when the tormented clay giant loses control of his anger. Echoing the tension and mood of Frankenstein, Wisniewski sends the tragic giant back to the blood red earth that birthed him. The historical note on the last page offers a broader context for the legend, ultimately comparing the creation of Golem to the emergence of Israel. (Ages 8 and older) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:04 -0400)

A saintly rabbi miraculously brings to life a clay giant who helps him watch over the Jews of sixteenth-century Prague.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,177,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible