Kings of Cool by Don Winslow

Kings of Cool (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Don Winslow

Member:truller10
Title:Kings of Cool
Authors:Don Winslow
Info:Suhrkamp Verlag GmbH (2012), Hardcover
Collections:Gelesen [2012], Favorites
Rating:*****

The Kings of Cool: A Prequel to Savages by Don Winslow (2012)

English (6)  German (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (10)
Honestly, after reading this, I can't believe this book was anywhere near as good as it was. In fact, it was down right awesome.

[b:Savages|8008928|Savages|Don Winslow|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1278686301s/8008928.jpg|12548735] is a tremendous novel. It was my first exposure to Winslow and I immediately fell for his razor sharp prose. It's just so.. cool. Is that word OK to use or does it make me look uninspired and boring? I don't care. Whatever. That being said, I didn't know what to expect with this prequel. Could this be something Winslow wrote to capitalize on the motion picture adaptation of Savages or did he really have something interesting to say here?

Turns out Winslow had a lot to tell us and at no point did it feel unnecessary.

Traveling back into Southern California during the drug trade in the 1960s, Winslow plants the seeds for the conflict that arises roughly 40 years later following Ben and Chon's entry into growing and selling of some pretty exceptional pot.

He adds depth to the characters we met in [b:Savages|8008928|Savages|Don Winslow|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1278686301s/8008928.jpg|12548735]. He adds a history and an origin to the friendship - the almost brotherly bond - between Ben and Chon that only makes you appreciate these guys even more. He even lets you in on the ties between Chon and "O" (Ophelia) - with sexy results.

Overall, I was blown away. Not sure I've ever enjoyed a prequel as much in any form. Do yourself a favor and pick this up. Well, if you've read Savages. Go read [b:Savages|8008928|Savages|Don Winslow|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1278686301s/8008928.jpg|12548735] and then read this. Actually, it is a prequel so you could probably read this first. No, read [b:Savages|8008928|Savages|Don Winslow|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1278686301s/8008928.jpg|12548735] first.

What? ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I enjoy Don Winslow's style of writing -- a mix of short and choppy sentences and great characters. In this prequel to his hit book (and horrible movie), Savages, Winslow tracks the early lives of the trio of Ben, Chon, and O -- and their parentage. While a good read, I did not quite enjoy it as much as I did Savages. If you like California, beach culture, and the hippie life (as well as the drug culture), you;ll enjoy this book. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Dec 17, 2013 |
I liked the story, the writing and twists and turns but I.m still scratching my head over the ending. ( )
  Poprockz | Apr 9, 2013 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-g8
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-g8 ( )
  Saretta.L | Apr 8, 2013 |
Totally dug it.
  evforija | Nov 16, 2012 |
But if this prequel isn’t as chill as “Savages,” it’s made funnier by the seditious spin Winslow puts on the romanticized 1960s hippie culture of peace and love and hard drugs.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Jun 29, 2012)

« Lors d'un combat, Mama, Cain tua Abel
Et fut chassé à l'est d'Éden, Mama,
On naît à cette vie pour payer
Les péchés du passé d'un autre. »

Bruce Springsteen« Adam Raised a Cain »
À Shane Salerno, pour tout. N'importe quand, n'importe où, mec.
Fuck me.

"In Savages, Don Winslow introduced Ben and Chon, twentysomething best friends who risk everything to save the girl they both love, O. Now, in his high-octane prequel, The Kings of Cool, Winslow reaches back in time to tell the story of how Ben, Chon, and O became the people they are. Spanning from 1960s Southern California to the recent past, it is a tale of family in all its forms--fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, friends and lovers. As the younger generation does battle with a cabal of drug dealers and crooked cops, they come to learn that their future is inextricably linked with their parents' history. A series of breakneck twists and turns puts the two generations on a collision course, culminating in a stunning showdown that will ultimately force Ben, Chon, and O to choose between their real families and their love for each other"--… (more)

Don Winslow is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

39 wanted6 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,018,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible