Blood and Silver (Deacon Chalk Occult Bounty…

Blood and Silver (Deacon Chalk Occult Bounty Hunter)

by James R. Tuck

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Blood and Silver Series: Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter Author: James Tuck Rating: 1 of 5 Stars Genre: Paranormal Pages: 305 Synopsis: Deacon has to deal with a group of Were, one part of which want to rule and dominate all other Weres and the other part is preaching pacifism and "let's all get along"'ism. Of course, the pacifist is a hypocrite. My Thoughts: Deacon's Angel Powers, Homosexual Ninja Rabbit, Rapist Pacifist, Crack Mommies selling their children as sexual favors for more crack, it was all just too much. In regards to Pacifism. I really, really, really respect a true Pacifist. Not resisting evil doers, valuing their lives above your own. I find that very high on the "Love Others" scale. And having that turned on its head just pissed me off. Not everyone should be a pacifist, Evil does need to be resisted, but those who are called to it, it reminds me of what those of us who do fight, are fighting for. Another waste of a book for me. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
3.5/5
review request from the author
James R.Tuck always delivers high octane explosive action a bit like Bruce Willis in his Die Hard movies, and it's very entertaining to read about his fights and shoot-outs, however, this is a second book in the series, and I'm still struggling with his writing style.

I've noticed that with the book#1 - repetition, repetition, repetition. James is falling into this trap that Jennifer Estep struggles to free herself from. He keeps reiterating what happened to Deacon before. Yes, we do remember that his family was killed in a brutal manner, yes we do know that angel gave him a blood transfusion, that he loves his car and his big boy guns... but Gods, can we limit it to once maybe twice per book?

There is less repetition in book#2, so I can see the progress, and I would not have minded if his personal tragedy was coming back to him in flashbacks like PTSD. That would have been natural, so we'll see how it goes with later books.

I like Deacon. He is colourful, fleshed-out manly man. He knows he is bigger and meaner than most and he treats his woman very gently and tries to prevent her doing silly stuff like going and getting into a fight with monsters, because what normal human being with a healthy self-preservation instinct would want to kill themselves that way, right? So all his "baby, do what I say" in a fight or flight situations are great and realistic.

There are quite a few crazy scenes which made me sick to my stomach with worry and tension - first fight with lycantropes, Deacon's memory of looking for a missing girl, last showdown... James is masterful with his fight sequences, he is truly good at it, and sick bastards he is fighting with will give Anita Blake a run for her money.

That's why I root for the author to polish his writing style. Less repetion and more character development, especially secondary characters, please. More humor, which was present in book#1 but is absent in book#2.

This series has great potential and almost comic book-like characters, it will be perfect for fans of earlier Anita Blake and J.F.Lewis. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Deacon Chalk can’t enjoy a good day – something bad always happens that he can’t ignore. This time it was a man beating a dog. But when he intervened he found that the man was no man – and the dog no simple dog either. He quickly becomes the rescuer of a lycanthrope and facing off against an entire pack of predatory shapeshifters

But more, he has stepped into a civil war – between predatory shapeshifters who wish to dominate, kill and control prey species as they always have – and those who are seeking for a more egalitarian co-existence. This, combined with Charlotte’s involvement and the fact the predators are just bad guys Deacon Chalk doesn’t want in his city is reason enough for him to get involved.

But things are not that simple – and whatever the mission of the peaceful weres is, they’re clearly more than they seem and perhaps more than Deacon Chalk can tolerate. Especially since he’s putting his friends, his people at risk for someone else’s war.

This book is one of those that vindicates my habit of not giving up on a series just because the first book (or the first several books) didn’t work for me.

It’s not that this book is radically different from the first book – it isn’t. Much of the style remains the same – so it’s still very much a male power fantasy, it’s still a book of getting the girl, saving he innocent and running around in a big car with a big gun and blowing stuff up and beating stuff up and cutting stuff up while the character equally gets mauled himself in a big, dramatic, gorefest action-movie style romp.

It’s not sophisticated, it’s not subtle and it’s not going to engage too many brain cells – but that doesn’t mean it can’t be immense fun! There’s a weredinosaur for crying out loud! A weredinosaur! Your arguments are invalid!

What has happened is that a lot of the irritants that were in book 1 have been toned down a lot. They’re still there, but in a much much much less annoying fashion. So is it still long winded? Yes, but it’s not nearly as repetitive – we get the long spiel about his guns, once. Not four or five times. And the spiel’s not as long. He waxes lyrically about how amazing his car is – but he doesn’t do it every few pages. We hear what music he’s listening to, but we don’t get treated to the Deacon Chalk guide to all things musical. This helps, this helps so much that I don’t have feel like I have to skim past endless pointless irrelevancies to try and drag the actual story out from the fluff.

We also don’t have Deacon Chalk being fawned over by a vast crowd of adoring fans (especially women) who play groupie to let us know just how amazing Chalk is. We know he’s done some good stuff, we know he’s helped people, but it’s toned down on the flock of fanpoodles. This could be because, with Tiff, we now have an established love interest and the flock of adoring women wouldn’t work as well.

And we don’t have the massive info dumps about the world – only what is appropriate as it is appropriate and without the constant repetition and long winded delivery.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |

Deacon Chalk is an Occult Bounty Hunter. Ever since his family was killed by a Nephilim five years before he’s killed the monsters that needed killing. Ones that attack humans or are just plain evil end up on his radar and that’s one radar you don’t want to be on.

One evening he’s out enjoying some time off at a street carnival with his friend Tiffany and they come across a guy beating a dog. Uh, oh…instant blip on Deacon’s radar. When Deacon discovers the guy is a shapeshifter and not just a crappy human all bets are off especially when the guy’s buddies show up and decide to kick Deacon’s ass for interfering in what they feel is none of his business. Deacon feels otherwise, a fight ensues and with some help from Tiffany he wins Round One and takes the dog with him. But we all know that’s not the end of things. Nope, it’s just the beginning.

This book starts off with a bang and doesn’t stop until the end with lots of action interspersed with a few softer scenes. Deacon is learning more about what his angel blood can do and the power is not insignificant, but he doesn’t like using it. The most fun is learning how many different kinds of shapeshifters are in Deacon’s world. The weres are many and varied, some are even a tad ridiculous (a were-shark? Really? And I’m not going to spoil the surprise on that other one O.O) and make me wonder if they are natural or laboratory born. We learn in this book that there are unknown forces out there, so it’s a mystery still to be unraveled.

All-in-all a suspenseful wild ride and I look forward to Blood and Magick to see what happens next.

*Book source ~ Many thanks to Kensington for providing a review copy. Please see disclaimer page on my blog. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jun 13, 2013 |
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of darker urban fantasy with male-oriented action
Trigger Warnings: rape and sexual assault (including against a child); murder and torture (including children)
Animal Abuse: This book was heavily filled with various types of were-animals. There is a lot of violence perpetuated against animals as a result.

My Thoughts: Leonidas and his crew absolutely infuriated me. The things they did... okay, yeah, so they were predator were-animals, but they choose to murder, torture, even eat people, including children—including babies. Horrible people, and I cheered Deacon on to each and every horrible death against them.

This book has all kinds of crazy were-animals: were-chickens, were-rabbits, were-lions, were-cougars, were-dogs of various types, were-lizards, were-snakes... you name it, there is probably a were-animal of its ilk connected to this story. The best was toward the end, but I don't dare say what it is because that would spoil the surprise.

I'm really into this story, that's for sure. I have one novella and one novel to go and I'll have finished the lot, and then will have to impatiently wait for Tuck to write something new. I really like this type of urban fantasy, without constant romance. There is a bit of romance, but it's bearable and overwhelmed by all the violence, so this is really my sort of thing. If you like darker urban fantasy, action-oriented, male-centric, definitely check out the Deacon Chalk series.

Series Information: Blood and Silver is Book 2 in the Deacon Chalk series
Book .5: That Thing at the Zoo, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 1: Blood and Bullets, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 1.5: Spider's Lullaby, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 2.5: Circus of Blood
Book 3: Blood and Magick

Disclosure: I purchased this book for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: He hasn’t met a monster yet that could give him a scare. With ice in his veins, silver hollow-points in his chambers, and an innate ability to rise from the dead, what’s to fear? The answer may be something he doesn’t want to face…

Deacon Chalk normally has no trouble telling innocent victims from real monsters. So protecting an abused pregnant were-dog is a no-brainer… until a vicious lycanthrope leader and his brotherhood target Deacon, other shape-shifters, and any humans in their way. Suddenly, Deacon is outnumbered, outgunned, and unsure who—or what—to trust. The only edge he has left is a weapon hungry for his soul and his most savage impulses. And using it will exact a price even this hell-raising hunter fears to pay… ( )
  Katyas | Jun 13, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0758271484, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:31 -0400)

"Deacon Chalk normally has no trouble telling innocent victims from real monsters. So protecting an abused pregnant were-dog is a no-brainer...until a vicious lycanthrope leader and his brotherhood target Deacon, other shape-shifters, and any humans in their way. Suddenly, Deacon is outnumbered, outgunned, and unsure who - or what - to trust. The only edge he has left is a weapon hungry for his soul and his most savage impulses. And using it will exact a price even this hell-raising hunter fears to pay..."--Cover p. [4].… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,621,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible