Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age,…

Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's…

by Rich Roll

The quality of the writing itself is sub-par. Prepositions start and end sentences that are often fragmented. The quality of the writing is beside the point however, as this book is an achievement in self-understanding and honesty, a masterful exploration of the range from dejection and depravity to elation and glory. At times, he comes across as an infomercial on the vegan lifestyle, but he never becomes overbearing. The food appendices are filled with excellent, concise information. I also admit that I'm moved, ever so slightly, towards a vegan ethic, if only for a short time, to see if I can become the machine I'd like to be. This is one helluva getcher-keister-off-the-couch book. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
Good book. Hard to relate to the guy though as a non-drinker and non Ivy leaguer. ( )
  Jeremy_Palmer | Mar 17, 2014 |
I was hoping this would be a really inspirational story about how Rich Roll completely turned his life around going from sedentary guy on a junk food diet to an amazing athlete, but I was less impressed and inspired when I found out that he was a competitive swimmer in high school, spending many hours in training. So it was really like he was just going back to his past, not becoming someone entirely new. That's what I was looking for.

Since I was disappointed when finding out about his impressive swimming as a teenager, I was then hoping to at least be inspired by his transformation from couch potato to athlete, but there really wasn't much of a transformation at all. He basically went on a juice cleanse, and all of a sudden he had enough energy to run 20 miles straight with not much prior training. I really think he must be evidence that your body permanently retains some of its physical fitness from your younger years if you were once in really good shape. No way that someone who was sedentary for his whole life goes on a juice fast and then is able to run a marathon out of the blue. And then most of the book just goes on and on about his hardcore Ironman training and competitions - boring for me since I'm not a competitive athlete. I did enjoy his life story before he got into his current life, but I enjoy just about any life story. And when he talked about how he was sacrificing tons of time he could have been spending with his young daughters when he was training and how he was regretting it, I lost a bit of respect for him. I was like, "Why are you doing this? What's the point? Spend time with those kids whom you love and chose to bring into the world!"

I already know that a plant-based diet is nutritionally adequate and offers many advantages when it comes to athletics, so there was nothing new there for me in that territory, especially after reading Brendan Brazier's [b:Thrive Diet|833692|Thrive Diet|Brendan Brazier|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344358574s/833692.jpg|2201793], a much more interesting book that is more fact and less memoir and more directed at the non-athlete as well. Though Rich has appendices in this book with a bit of nutrition and diet information, I don't know how helpful it would be to someone starting from scratch. I would be way more interested if he came out with an actual plan. Again, stick with Brendan Brazier!

All that said, I think it's awesome what Rich Roll has accomplished, and it's wonderful to have another example out there as proof that you will not die or deteriorate on a vegan diet.

Recommended only if you like life stories and athletic memoirs. ( )
  __Lindsey__ | Apr 17, 2013 |
I enjoy these type of athletic inspirational books but I was some what dissapointed with this one. Rich Roll has you believe he was this out of shape ordinary guy who turned himself around and became a super athlete. This does have some truth to it but he is hardly an ordinary guy. He did overcome alcoholism whichI give him great credit but it takes up way too much of the book. He was a swimmer thru school into college and swam with Olympians. Hardly ordinary. He went to the fancy prep schools and Law school becoming a lawyer, not ordinary. I'm a marathoner and Ultra runner and triathlete. I give Rich Roll all the kudos for his great athletic achievements but don't let him fool you that he was just an ordinary guy that turned himself around. Too much of this book is about his ego and he pushes his own supplements as well. He does give a great insight into vegan diet and that is interesting. ( )
  realbigcat | Apr 5, 2013 |
Kind of new age. I felt he was trying to sell me products. Still, a good read. ( )
  passengercreek2 | Apr 2, 2013 |

The incredible true story of the author's remarkable transformation, at the age of 40, from out-of-shape average Joe into one of the world's best endurance athletes On the eve of his 40th birthday, Rich Roll was in bad shape. His days were filled with work, stress, and junk food, and his nights were spent on the couch, remote in hand. Taking out the trash was the closest he came to exercise, and, at 50 pounds overweight, a walk up the stairs left him winded. He decided it was time to make a change. After undergoing a diet detox, adopting a vegan lifestyle, and pushing his fitness regimen to undreamed-of heights, he was profiled by Men's Fitness as one of the world's 25 fittest men. Among Roll's many jaw-dropping athletic feats: he completed the unprecedented Epic 5 --five back-to-back Ironman-distance triathlons on five different Hawaiian islands in under a week--an achievement many said was impossible. This is the story of that remarkable transformation, a complete physical and spiritual rejuvenation that proves that anyone can find ultra if they know how.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible