The Color of Evil by Connie Corcoran Wilson

Tad McGreevy has a secret power that he has never revealed, not even to his best friend Stevie Scranton. When he looks at others, Tad can see their auras - the colors around people that tell Tad if they are good or evil. At night, Tad dreams of the evil-doers, reliving their crimes in graphic and horrifying detail. But Tad never can tell if the crimes in his nightmares are happening right at the moment, have already happened, or will happen in the future.

He has been told by his parents never to speak of his powers. All Tad knows is that he wants to protect the people that he loves. And he desperately wants the nightmares to stop.

At Tad's eighth birthday party, the clown his parents hire to entertain Tad's third-grade classmates is just such an evil person. Michael Clay, masquerading as Pogo the Clown during his day job, is a serial killer. So begins 53 nights of terror for Tad and his family, as Pogo goes on a murder spree, and a distraught Tad relives each murder in gruesome detail, then awakens screaming to recite each murder to his disbelieving family. The situation becomes so dire that Tad is hospitalized in a private institution under the care of a psychiatrist, who also doesn't believe the small boy's stories.

And then, the police arrest Pogo the Killer Clown.

It is eight years later, and Tad is sixteen years old, just entering his junior year in high school. He is fully recovered from the events that happened in the spring of his third-grade year. Michael Clay was arrested and sent to prison for life. His crime spree ended with his incarceration, as did Tad's nightmares. Tad's experiences are nothing more than dim and distant memories to him. Until now, in 2003, when evil once again stalks the night.

I really enjoyed this book and was drawn into the story from the first sentence. I really felt for the characters and look forward to discovering what will happen throughout the next books. I give this book an A+! and am looking forward to reading the next book in this series, Red is For Rage. ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Jul 20, 2017 |
After reading a lot of fantasy and YA novels, I found myself looking for a change, and The Color of Evil fell right into my lap at precisely the right time. If you are a fan of the macabre and looking for a good thriller that will keep you awake at night, this is definitely the book for you. The characters were easily related to. The storyline flowed smoothly. While I could not relate to the area in which they lived, having money and all of that, I could relate to the trials and struggles and secrets that the characters faced and lived with.

The story sucks you in pretty much from the beginning, begging you to keep reading just to find out what is coming next. The excitement begins early on, and does not let up until the very end.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel and would highly recommend it to those who enjoy thrillers and horror reads. I will warn, however, that there are some pretty adult scenarios that are not for the faint of heart and I do not recommend this for anyone under the age of 16.

The reason for the 3 star review was related to some grammatical issues and minor inconsistencies within the story, and after having had this information passed on to the author, I have heard rumor that there may be a revised copy coming sometime in the future.

On a personal note, I want to thank the author for a generous offer made in terms of giveaway, which will be posting in another thread directly following this one. Keep your eyes open, folks, as there is more to come from this author and I really think that she has the potential to hold ranks with the likes of Stephen King.

Thanks to Premier Virtual Author Book Tours for a copy for review. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Thanks to Premier Virtual Author Book Tours for a copy for review. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
There are times when, as a reader, I make a conscious decision to step outside of my normal reading box and pick up something totally uncharacteristic for me. I was approached about reading this series, and although I knew it wasn’t entirely my bag, I decided it would be fun to try something a bit different. I looked at the synopsis and figured that since it’s been awhile since I tried some horror, it could be interesting to try it again.

As I was reading, you can imagine my surprise when I discovered that I didn’t like the book, but for an entirely different reason than not being a big fan of the genre. See, I was mentally prepared for this to be a thrill ride, and a bit gory. I knew going into it that I was going to have to steel myself for all that, and I did. But there were some other elements of the story that I had a difficult time with, and I really thought they would pass, but the final chapter came around and I had the same complaints as I had at the beginning.

To read the rest of my review, please visit my blog. ( )
  dorolerium | Mar 22, 2013 |

Young Tad McGreevy has a power he has never revealed, not even to his life-long best friend Stevie Scranton. He sees auras around others, and the auras identify evil-doers. At night, Tad dreams about the actions of these evil-doers. Tad wants to protect those he loves, and he wants the nightmares to stop. How will his power affect his life? And can he protect those he loves from evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,625,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible