Tuesday's Gone by Nicci French

Tuesday's Gone (2012)

by Nicci French

English (22)  Dutch (7)  French (1)  All (30)
Events in this volume follow pretty much immediately after those of Blue Monday. There's a brief recap to refresh your memory if you're reading them a year apart as they were published, and again in the next one, but I'd strongly recommend gobbling them all up back-to-back.

Freida Klein is a complicated character. She's amazingly private, but not cold, and other people appreciate her kindness, sensitivity, and good advice. In her orbit there's a sister-in-law and teenaged niece, her mentor, the clinic's manager, a former patient, the friends with the cafe she relies on so heavily for all her meals, the therapist she is mentoring, the Ukrainian builder, the lover who left her for a job in the US, and now various people from Scotland Yard.

She has a strong network, but she's not in the habit of asking others for help. And now, after the successes and failures of the case she helped on, she's having a bad time coping. And then there's another case centered on a woman with profound mental issues.

As mysteries I quite like these books. They're not exploitative of their victims and the bad guys are never one-dimensional. Through Klein the reader is given a deeply empathetic look at the lives of people who've been overlooked, neglected, forgotten. The format of the series means that the reader keeps abreast of events after the police are finished detecting: there's both emotional and legal ramifications to follow up on.

There is also a very sad tone to the books. Klein is an insomniac, prone to walking the streets of London when her mind is restless, but it's not a hopelessness in the face of the horrible things humanity does to itself. Even where it isn't possible to save everyone, or prevent violence, it is possible to help people, and Klein doesn't stop trying. Despite the book's long cold winter, there will be better, warmer, times ahead.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
This is the second book in the series featuring psychotherapist Dr Frieda Klein. It immediately draws the reader in with a narrative about a social worker visiting one of her clients, Michelle Doyce. Michelle lives in a very ugly part of London and is a mental health patient who has been released into the community. When the social worker discovers a badly decomposing body in her apartment, the twin forces of DCI Karlsson and Dr. Frieda Klein are brought in to try to make some sense of the incoherent Michelle.

As the police try to discover the identity of the corpse, and why and how he ended up dead, there are two other stories running on the side, seemingly unconnected. Frieda is not happy with the way Michelle is being treated and tries to solve the identity of the dead man herself. Meanwhile, Frieda starts to suspect that there are unresolved problems with her last case.

The well written mystery in this book slowly simmers but then becomes quite compelling. Frieda is a truly fascinating character. She's extremely intelligent, but she also has everyday problems that she is trying to deal with. She can be very annoying too. The supporting characters in this book are some of the best I've ever read. While this could be read as a standalone novel, I highly recommend reading the first book in the series, Blue Monday, to understand some of the threads this book references. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 6, 2016 |
Book Description “A fiercely intelligent, multilayered thriller” (Kirkus Reviews) from the bestselling author of Blue Monday Nicci French’s first Frieda Klein mystery, Blue Monday, won rave reviews everywhere—from People magazine to the New York Times Book Review—and earned comparisons to bestsellers by Kate Atkinson and Laura Lippman. In Tuesday’s Gone, the solitary London psychotherapist returns in a brilliant thriller even more twisted than the last. On a routine home visit, a London social worker discovers her psychotic client serving tea to a naked, decomposing corpse. Unable to make sense of the woman’s confused ramblings, Detective Chief Inspector Karlsson asks Frieda Klein for help uncovering the dead man’s identity. Frieda soon learns that he was a notorious con man—one Robert Poole. But Frieda can’t help feeling that Poole was killed to embroil her in the investigation, that her past isn’t done with her yet. And if so, is Frieda herself the next victim?

My Review This 2nd book of the Frieda Klein series was a very enjoyable read. It was interesting in the fact that some of the characters from the first book are carried through and we also learned more about Frieda's personal life. The plot was very good and made for a page-turner throughout the book. Lots of twists and a surprise ending lends itself to a 5 star read for me. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
3.5 stars

I'm really enjoying the way the writing team Nicci French are developing this character/series. We see how Frieda develops both personally & professionally; we see how the people in her life move in & out if her life, forwards & backwards in their own; and we have an arch villain who has travelled through 2 installments of the series so far.

There is so much to like about this story: the breadth of characters; the uniqueness of the crime; the things we can never fully know.

But there is one down-side, which kept this from being 4 or 5 stars: the pacing. It's uneven. I put this book down to eat dinner. When I came back to it, the killers had been caught... & I didn't know the set-up was even in place. It was like tuning into a TV program 15 years ago, when you had to walk away from it and only got back for the last segment. Except I didn't skip any parts of the book. It was just poorly executed. Although... It did have the effect of making me say, "Huh? Who did it? What?" :)

I look forward to Waiting for Wednesday. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
The second book in the series featuring Frida Klein and I loved it just as much as the first one. How many times can you say, "I did'nt see that coming?" Fantastic! At times I was a bit confused, but, without giving anything away, once things play out, it all makes sense. I also really like the descriptions of London and the random historical fats that are worked into the story; they really add to the mood and tone of the book. Next up...Waiting for Wednesday!
  TracyCampbell | Feb 12, 2016 |
For Francis and Julia.
Maggie Brennan half-walked, half-ran along Deptford Church Street.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 071815696X, Paperback)

Nicci French, the bestselling author of "What to do When Someone Dies and "Losing You", returns with the second book in the gripping new series that began with Top Ten Bestseller "Blue Monday". Fans of Peter James' "Roy Grace" series and Peter Robinson's "DCI Banks" series will love central character psychotherapist Frieda Klein, who is consulted on a grisly and seemingly unsolvable crime. For Frieda Klein the days get longer, the cases darker...Psychotherapist Frieda Klein thought she was done with the police. But once more DCI Karlsson is knocking at her door. A man's decomposed body has been found in the flat of Michelle Doyce, a woman trapped in a world of strange mental disorder. The police don't know who it is, how he got there or what happened - and Michelle can't tell them. But Karlsson hopes Frieda can get access to the truths buried beneath her confusion. Painstakingly, Frieda uncovers a possible identity for the corpse: Robert Poole, a jack of all trades and master conman. But the deeper Frieda and Karlsson dig into Poole's past, the more of his victims they encounter - and the more motives they find for murder. Meanwhile, violent ghosts from Frieda's own past are returning to threaten her. Unable to discover quite who is telling the truth and who is lying, they know they are getting closer to a killer. But whoever murdered Poole is determined to stay free - and anyone that gets too close will meet the same fate. A gritty heroine, a gruesome crime and a terrifying hunt for a psychotic killer, "Tuesday's Gone" is not to be missed by fans of psychological thrillers. "Nicci French knows just how to play on our worst fears". ("Daily Mail"). Nicci French is the pseudonym for Nicci Gerrard and Sean French. The couple live in Suffolk and have written twelve other bestselling novels including "Beneath the Skin" and "Blue Monday", the first thrilling instalment in the Frieda Klein series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:54 -0400)

Psychotherapist Frieda Klein takes on a case involving the murder of conman Robert Poole who was found in the flat of a mentally disturbed woman.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 071815696X, 0241950333

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible