Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel by…

Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Nicci French

Member:maggiandersen
Title:Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel
Authors:Nicci French
Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages

Tuesday's Gone by Nicci French (2013)

English (26)  Dutch (7)  French (1)  All languages (34)
Also the second volume of the Frieda Klein series was thrilling from the first to the last moment.
After a man was found dead in the home of a mentally ill woman, DCI Karlsson decided to include Frieda as a co-worker. Frieda herself does not want to work anymore, the aftermath of the first case is still present. Even the detectives around Karlsson do not want to have Frieda with them. But as luck would have it, Frieda can not refrain from investigating and gets more and more involved in the investigations. She encounters fraud, exploitation of unstable people and greed. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jul 19, 2018 |
TUESDAY’S GONE: A FRIEDA KLEIN MYSTERY. It is Book 2 in the series written by Nicci French. Nicci French is the pseudonym of English husband and wife team, Nicci Gerrard and Sean French, who write psychological thrillers together.
I am glad that I am reading the series in order, as many of the same characters and plot points from BLUE MONDAY (Book 1) reappear in a very sinister way.
I am getting more involved in Frieda’s personality and am very involved in her solitary, night time walks around London. Her knowledge of London’s history, especially of its rivers, is fascinating. The book has an exceptional ‘sense of place’ and one just soaks up the London atmosphere and quirks. TUESDAY’S GONE map (and Frieda’s walks) focus on the River Tyburn as it winds its way past Hampstead Heath, through Regent’s Park, eventually making its way into the Thames at Pimlico. The River Tyburn is one of London’s ‘lost rivers’ which flow mainly underground. Fascinating. I have been reading non-stop about these ‘lost rivers’. BLUE MONDAY’s map shows the meanderings of the River Fleet.
p.243 (Frieda) “Sometimes I think rivers and streams make people uncomfortable. They’re wet, they move, they bubble up out of the ground, they flood, they dry up. Better just to put them out of sight.”
TUESDAY’S GONE opens with a social worker making a routine visit to client Michelle Doyce, and finds her serving tea and biscuits to a naked, very dead, decomposing corpse. Clueless as to the corpse’s identity, DCI Karlsson asks Frieda for help.
I would describe TUESDAY’S GONE as very suspenseful, gritty, intelligent, interesting, detailed and thrilling.
Freida Klein is an excellent character - a brilliant psychotherapist, realistic, blunt, always thoughtful.
A thoroughly enjoyable thriller - a Five Star read. *****
I can’t wait for Book 3 - the interesting characters, plots and ‘lost rivers’. ( )
  diana.hauser | Jun 13, 2018 |
Tuesday’s Gone by husband and wife team Nicci French continues their series featuring psychotherapist Frieda Klein. This is a series that needs to be read in order, as there are certain story-lines that continue from book to book. In this outing, Freida is helping the police with the murder of an unidentified corpse who was found in the house of a mentally ill woman. When it turns out that the corpse belonged to a charming con man, the police find themselves scrambling to find his victims.

Still haunted by the events that occurred in Blue Monday, Frieda continues to work with the police on this new case even though one colleague suggests that perhaps she is in danger of losing sight of whether she is a therapist or a detective. Frieda herself seems to have an uncanny ability to piece together the stories of various witnesses and suspects and arrive at the correct answer.

Tuesday’s Gone is another clever and enthralling entry into this exciting series and I am enjoying getting to know the many layers of Frieda Klein. Aided by a cast of engaging supporting characters, and the author’s skillful plotting Tuesday’s Gone is another dark, insightful thriller. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 26, 2018 |
Tuesday’s Gone by Nicci French: This second book in the Frieda Klein series was better than Blue Monday (#1) in my opinion. More character development and the mystery was more intriguing to me. The London based psychotherapist, Frieda Klein, reminds me loosely of the Jessica Fletcher character from TV series Murder, She Wrote. Loosely, as I said, because when our main character is involved, a murder is going to take center stage.

I like Frieda even though she isn’t what one would describe as a warm personality. Perhaps you have to be completely in control and compartmentalize your life if your profession is psychotherapist. Yet there are qualities about her personality that I admire.

We have a rousing start with unbalanced woman named Michelle serving tea and buns to a decaying corpse she has propped up on her sofa. The police, specifically Inspector Mal Karlsson, involve Frieda as the woman in question may be a murderer or know something about the murder of the man in her home as she dragged him home from an alleyway. There isn’t any identification to be found but, in a series of improbable events, Frieda Klein is set on the path to discovering his identity. Early on in the story we learn the man’s name is Robert Poole. More mystery about that later but to mention it would reveal a spoiler so, enough said on that now. “Robert” is indeed a fascinating character.

Robert Poole made people “feel attended to” which is something most of us want. We like when someone listens to us, seems to care about what we are saying, our concerns and our interests.

Characters from the previous book show up and as I mentioned, more character development in this book. I have now read 3 of the 8 books in the series and look forward to the final installment when it’s published. I think that’s called Day of the Dead.

Food is mentioned here and there.

Two whiskies and two packets of crisps. He took a seat at the table and opened both packages. “I got salt and vinegar and cheese and onion. I didn’t know which you liked.”
“Neither, really,” said Frieda.
“You probably don’t like pubs either,” said Karlsson.
“It’s better than the police station.”

Frieda and Reuben talking over the phone. She asks him to put potatoes in the oven for baking so they can have those for dinner. But he hadn’t put potatoes in the oven, he’d made a greasy, rich lasagna, garlic bread and a green salad.
Frieda on a date with Harry at a Pop-up restaurant:

“I am Inga,” said the woman, “And I am from Denmark. My husband Paul is from Morocco. We cook together. I will bring you wine and food and there is no choice. No allergies, no fads?”

They were served a plate of pickled fish with sour cream, smoked meats, yogurts, savory pastries and wine.

Evidently a pop-up restaurant serves a handful of people and they pop up in various locations, serve dinners and one day they relocate.

Josef bakes a honey cake with cinnamon and ginger.
A dinner party at Oliva’s place – Salmon fillets cooked in pastry, meringues for dessert, lots of wine.
Yvette hands out packets of sandwiches, ‘Cheese and celery for you, tuna and cucumber for you and chicken for me.”
Frieda and Chloe eat at a Tapas restaurant – They ordered squid, roasted bell peppers, a Spanish omelet and a plate of spring greens.
I had quite a bit of choice for my food inspiration and almost made lasagna, because it sounded so good. But I went with Tapas.

Check out the food photos at Novel Meals

https://novelmeals.wordpress.com/2018/02/08/tuesdays-gone-by-nicci-french-with-c... ( )
  SquirrelHead | Mar 5, 2018 |
Events in this volume follow pretty much immediately after those of Blue Monday. There's a brief recap to refresh your memory if you're reading them a year apart as they were published, and again in the next one, but I'd strongly recommend gobbling them all up back-to-back.

Freida Klein is a complicated character. She's amazingly private, but not cold, and other people appreciate her kindness, sensitivity, and good advice. In her orbit there's a sister-in-law and teenaged niece, her mentor, the clinic's manager, a former patient, the friends with the cafe she relies on so heavily for all her meals, the therapist she is mentoring, the Ukrainian builder, the lover who left her for a job in the US, and now various people from Scotland Yard.

She has a strong network, but she's not in the habit of asking others for help. And now, after the successes and failures of the case she helped on, she's having a bad time coping. And then there's another case centered on a woman with profound mental issues.

As mysteries I quite like these books. They're not exploitative of their victims and the bad guys are never one-dimensional. Through Klein the reader is given a deeply empathetic look at the lives of people who've been overlooked, neglected, forgotten. The format of the series means that the reader keeps abreast of events after the police are finished detecting: there's both emotional and legal ramifications to follow up on.

There is also a very sad tone to the books. Klein is an insomniac, prone to walking the streets of London when her mind is restless, but it's not a hopelessness in the face of the horrible things humanity does to itself. Even where it isn't possible to save everyone, or prevent violence, it is possible to help people, and Klein doesn't stop trying. Despite the book's long cold winter, there will be better, warmer, times ahead.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
For Francis and Julia.
Maggie Brennan half-walked, half-ran along Deptford Church Street.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 071815696X, Paperback)

Nicci French, the bestselling author of "What to do When Someone Dies and "Losing You", returns with the second book in the gripping new series that began with Top Ten Bestseller "Blue Monday". Fans of Peter James' "Roy Grace" series and Peter Robinson's "DCI Banks" series will love central character psychotherapist Frieda Klein, who is consulted on a grisly and seemingly unsolvable crime. For Frieda Klein the days get longer, the cases darker...Psychotherapist Frieda Klein thought she was done with the police. But once more DCI Karlsson is knocking at her door. A man's decomposed body has been found in the flat of Michelle Doyce, a woman trapped in a world of strange mental disorder. The police don't know who it is, how he got there or what happened - and Michelle can't tell them. But Karlsson hopes Frieda can get access to the truths buried beneath her confusion. Painstakingly, Frieda uncovers a possible identity for the corpse: Robert Poole, a jack of all trades and master conman. But the deeper Frieda and Karlsson dig into Poole's past, the more of his victims they encounter - and the more motives they find for murder. Meanwhile, violent ghosts from Frieda's own past are returning to threaten her. Unable to discover quite who is telling the truth and who is lying, they know they are getting closer to a killer. But whoever murdered Poole is determined to stay free - and anyone that gets too close will meet the same fate. A gritty heroine, a gruesome crime and a terrifying hunt for a psychotic killer, "Tuesday's Gone" is not to be missed by fans of psychological thrillers. "Nicci French knows just how to play on our worst fears". ("Daily Mail"). Nicci French is the pseudonym for Nicci Gerrard and Sean French. The couple live in Suffolk and have written twelve other bestselling novels including "Beneath the Skin" and "Blue Monday", the first thrilling instalment in the Frieda Klein series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:54 -0400)

Psychotherapist Frieda Klein takes on a case involving the murder of conman Robert Poole who was found in the flat of a mentally disturbed woman.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 071815696X, 0241950333

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,179,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible