Kithra (The Kithran Regenesis) by Dani Worth

Kithra (The Kithran Regenesis)

by Dani Worth

Kithra is a little different from the usual stuff I read. It’s sci fi romance, my new favourite subgenre, but it’s also erotic romance, which is not what I usually go for. I’m all about story and not so much about reading the sexy times, but I really enjoyed Kithra. There’s a lot of sex, for sure, but the characters and world are well developed and it’s not a novella that exists purely to go from sex to sex to menage-with-an-alien scene. There’s actually a lot of cool story in Kithra, so I think this novella will appeal to people who don’t usually read erotic romance (like me!).

Lux Moyans is a spaceship pilot. She lives to fly. She’s not one for relationships but she is attracted to her crewmate, Kol Frega. She’s never acted on the attraction because she was his superior officer but that all changes when they’re given the bum assignment of going to Kithra to help get the now-uninhabitable planet back on its proverbial feet. Their only company for the year-long assignment? A Gwinarian, a native of Kithra, with a previous relationship with Kol. Gwinarians are known for their free-loving ways, often having multiple partners and not exhibiting any gender preferences, which leads the three main characters into a polyamorous relationship. I’ve never read a book with a relationship like this so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the story was emotionally driven, not all about the sex. You can understand why all three of them are attracted to each other because their personalities are quite compatible.

I was also very interested in the setting. Even in a novella-length story, Dani Worth managed to get a lot of worldbuilding in. There’s space travel, alien species, and interesting technologies. Of course, the length of Kithra does limit the amount of worldbuilding the author can put in but I felt like it was very well-developed and thorough. There are two other novellas in the series so far and I hope that they will continue to build on the platform that has been established.

http://ireadgood.wordpress.com ( )
  jthorburn | Feb 16, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible