F814 by Eve Langlais

F814 Cyborgs: More Than Machines by Eve Langlais

Second in the cyborg romance series, this book has the highly intelligent man-made soldiers fighting to protect one of their own. And even though it takes awhile for them to convince F814 that she is more than just a drone, it takes even longer for Solus to acknowledge his own feelings of love.

Well written and enjoyable for the sci-fi romance lover. A bit darker than this author is known for but still towards the lighter end of the genre.
I admit that the few typos/proofreading are annoying if inconsequential.

Excerpt:
"I am not a cyborg. A am a meld of flesh and parts. An android." She stood and would have moved away but he was quicker, leaping to his feet and placing his hands on her arms, halting her.
"Cyborgs are what happens when humans meld a living person with a machine."
"Impossible."
"The truth. Androids don't wear real flesh. Cyborgs do. Androids don't think for themselves. Cyborgs do. Androids can't feel." He leaned in close, captivated by her brown eyes which stare at him, unblinking. "Cyborgs feel. And care. And hate. And some even love." He couldn't believe he said that last part.
She snorted, the very sound a confirmation of the words she chose to deny. "I am obviously an advanced model even with all my flaws."
Solus growled in frustration. "Stubborn female. What must I do to prove to you I am right?"
Excerpt from F814 by Eve Langlais ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Aug 6, 2017 |
F814's past is extremely well-written. The 5-star torture scenes are eerily reminiscent of Captain Jean Luc Picard's "There are four lights!" (YouTube), though Langlais's scenes are infinitely more horrific.

I'm pleased to say Solus is kind and and considerate of F814's past and her fears. He never crossed the line and F814's behaviour and decisions were understandable and felt fairly realistic. She's unknowingly tough. Her ignorance regarding her past, her identity and her extreme fear of things like showers, is extremely sad although her innocence creates that instinctual need to care for and protect her.

The only downside is some cheesy writing and a handful of odd extraneous words which appear next to those of similar spelling, if not meaning.

There's-nothing-better-than-a-good-fight Aramus is Jayne from Firefly and Serenity, and I suspect his book will be next. And then perhaps the deceptively harmless and human-like Seth's. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Read for #DoinItDirty (Fun)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 3.75
Character Rating: 4.25

Things I Loved:
1)Solus---that boy NEEDED to fall hard and he did!
2)F814---she was awesome!
3)The end and where it might go from here!
4)Learning a bit more about how the female cyborgs got scattered!
5)Solid story backed with great characters!

That I wanted:
1)A little bit more story but I think that is slowly playing out over the series!

Great smexy afternoon read!
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
In my dreams, I have a name.

She thought herself a robot, defective and unique among her kind, until he taught her how to live again. F814 exists to serve the humans until they decide to terminate her. An instinct for survival makes her fight, but when she achieves freedom, she discovers she cannot throw off the chains of habit. Everything changes when another flesh covered droid arrives, a cyborg he calls himself, who teaches her she is more than a machine. Solus hates humanity, and even though he was born as a flawed human, he strives to eradicate all traces of it from his persona -- until he meets F814. Meeting and touching her releases something in him. Has him yearning for things he doesn't understand. Makes him long for...affection. Before he can learn to love though, he must first tackle the task of reminding F814 that she is more than the sum of her mechanical parts. But of course, when dealing with an illogical thing like emotions, there is no sure plan for success.… (more)

Eve Langlais is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible