The Tycoon's Secret Daughter by Susan Meier

The Tycoon's Secret Daughter

by Susan Meier

The Tycoon's Secret Daughter is a simple novel about Max, an ex-alcoholic man who found his ex-wife, Kate, in a hospital with Trisha, a daughter he had never known. Apparently Kate left Max after witnessing his drunken rage and was pregnant the whole time and Max didn't know about it for years. The majority of the plot is about Max wanting to know his daughter and subsequent asking for Kate's forgiveness and reconcile their relationship.

The plot (the girl have a baby and later the guy find out) have been overused in so many Harlequin books and in its entirety, it was disappointing for something that was just written and published recently. But eventually I finished the book yesterday in its predictable glory. Some reviewers have low threshold on the predictability range, me on the other hand need to read hundred books with the same plot to endure the unexciting nature of it. Its very sad since I really like the plot with the main male character having a drinking problem and struggling to undo his past but the way the author try to play it up weakened the entire storyline. Since its a average romance, we all know they'll be together, but the problem is, Kate gave up to him so easily and Max remained unconvincing in his emotive state. I do read books with characters with serious addiction problems but the author decided to focus the romance aspect of the book instead of Max's problem on psychological level. Besides, he was an ex-drunkard who is destructive, that can be enhanced into a better character progression instead of mellowing the matter. Harlequin authors need to be decisive and creative with their plots when they have a good start to begin with.

I never intended to review this book because I read through it and only notice several parts until I finish with it. But if you wanted the "secret child" storyline in Harlequin, this book is not for you even if you wanted some light readings. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |

aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
*My reviews are personal reflections of what I read and take notes of. I do not get paid for my reviews however, this book was kindly provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley. *

Full review can be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews

This completely grabbed me from the start! Max and Kate meeting in the lobby of the hospital, and just the few moments they spend there, where Kate realizes Max has stopped drinking, and Max realizes that he has a daughter – WOW! ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Tycoons Secret Daughter by Susan Meier
4 STARS I like how the characters are trying to deal with thier past troubles. They are trying to do whats best for thier daughter, not what they want. Thier are no warnings about the content of this book. I look forward to reading about Max's brother story that is coming soon but not as fast as I want. Max Montgomery had it all but then through his drinking he lost a lot of the good things in his life that he had. Max has been sober for seven years. He has tried to make up for all his past offenses when he was a drunk, except his ex-wife. Max was coming out of the elevator at the hospital and ran into his ex-wife he has not seen for 8 years. Kate Hunter was planning on telling her husband but the night she was going to he came home in a drunken rage. He broke a lot of things, even the front room window. Kate knew she had to protect her baby from Max and his family, so she ran that night. Max went up to Kate and was telling her that he was sorry he ruined thier marriage when another elevator opened up. Trisha came out and called her mom. One look and Max knew she was his daughter. Kate knew she could not afford to fight Max's family,money and all the judges that they helped get into office. Now seeing Max was sober and wanting to be a father Kate agreed he could see her but not alone for now. Kate was not ready to believe him that he was not a drunk any more and so angry. Max wanted to blame her for keeping his daughter a secret for so long but he knew it was him that made those troubles for his marriage. Kate planned to stay with her parents for 3 months and help while her dad was recovering from a stroke. Max had lots of money but knew he could not buy his daughter with expensive presents. I enjoyed reading this book. Seeing where Kate and Max dealing with the past and learning about who they were now. I was given this ebook to read in exchange for honest review from Netgalley. 06/05/2012 Pub Harlequin imprint Harlequin Romance ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jul 19, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373178115, Mass Market Paperback)

The CEO's second chance

Max Montgomery had it all-charm, good looks and a career as CEO of the family business. Marriage to Kate Hunter was the icing on the cake. Until a devastating family secret sent his world-and then his marriage-crashing down around him....

Years later, Max is accidentally reunited with Kate, who also has a secret-the daughter he's never met! Bonding with adorable Trisha may come naturally, but with the shadows of the past still haunting him, recapturing the heart of the woman he's never stopped loving is quite a different matter....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:16 -0400)

Max Montgomery had it all: charm, good looks and a career as CEO of the family business. Marriage to Kate Hunter was the icing on the cake. Until a devastating family secret sent his world -- and then his marriage -- crashing down around him. Years later, Max is accidentally reunited with Kate, who also has a secret -- the daughter he's never met! Bonding with adorable Trisha may come naturally, but with the shadows of the past still haunting him, recapturing the heart of the woman he's never stopped loving is quite a different matter ...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,469,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible