The Light Tamer: The :Light Tamer Trilogy…

The Light Tamer: The :Light Tamer Trilogy book 1 (Volume 1)

by Devyn Dawson

This book starts off with a sweet and down to earth young teen and her quick witted and quirky grandma that you like instantly. A really interesting concept of light and dark dating back to greek mythology gives a great backbone to the story while you discover alongside the characters the significance of this and their bonds to other of the same abilities. A refrshingly different idea for a paranormal/fantasy young adult book that I look forward to the next in the series. 3.5 stars.

I was provided a review copy courtesy of promotional Book tours in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
The Light Tamer has been on my TBR for quite a while. I found the premise to be interesting and I was looking forward to reading a book with, what to my experience is, a unique paranormal premise.

The idea behind the light tamers in this book is great and new. It’s not often a paranormal book isn’t about an exhausted type of “creature.” But I did feel that there was also some strange things to it. The writing in this book wasn’t the best I’ve read before. I think that lead to some of my disappointment.

Dawson has great promise with this book, but there are aspects that could have used some work. To just touch briefly on that, I felt mainly like all of the characters didn’t react realistically to much of the reveals of the book. There was often a moment of questioning, but then it was explained away with a vague “we believe it could be….” explanation and everything’s back to normal again. Also, the conflicts that arise are almost too easily resolved. This is most apparent at the main event of the book.

Some of the dialogue wasn’t to my liking either. Jessie sounds enough like a fifteen year old, but Caleb who’s not much older than her, sounds too mature for his age. The way they deal with issues also makes many characters feel older than they are and the responsibilities given to them so easily by adults makes it seem like they’re older teens.

It wasn’t all iffy though. I wanted to keep reading and to find out more about light tamers and what was all going on. The book is very fast paced, if not a little short even at roughly 60K words, and this helps more things along nicely. I really liked Amber’s character, though she was a little upstaged by Jessie and Caleb’s insta-love relationship (explainable insta-love but still slightly too fast).

I did enjoy this book, even if it wasn’t all that I think it could have been if it were fleshed out more and given time to blossom in various ways. I grabbed a copy of book 2 and plan on reading it soon to continue in this trilogy. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
Could barely survive the first chapter. There might be a good story there, I was unable to wade through the mediocre prose.
  AdvaKramer | Sep 25, 2013 |
I couldn’t wait to download this book since I have read several other books by Devyn Dawson from the Legacy Series and loved each one. I was not disappointed. I found this book quite enjoyable and a fast read.

The story of Jessie and Caleb goes far more in depth than a teenager’s first kiss. Caleb saved Jessie from drowning so many years ago and since that day he has had a rare and unique connection to Jessie.

Jessie and Caleb are Light Tamers who have the ability to absorb light and its energy. They also have Dark Ones after them who will constantly try to steal their light away from them. They are unable to live an everyday life that a normal teenager is blessed with, but rather sleep with lights on, constantly have a L.E.D flashlight in hand in case of an outage and they must always wonder who is friend and who is foe.

I can’t wait for the next installment in the series. ( )
  kimbershook | Aug 2, 2012 |
Jessie is an interesting young woman. At the beginning of the book, she is so negative. Everything "sucks". I can understand that she has some issues. She has an alcoholic father, her parents are splitting, and her mom is busy dealing with school that she doesn't have much time for Jessie. They move to North Carolina, Jessie has to start over and isn't thrilled about the prospect.

After moving in with her grandmother, or Miss Gayle. (Her grandmother is way to hip to be called Grandma.) Jessie is immediately introduced to Caleb. Literally from the moment they touch, the sparks start to fly. This is complete and total attraction from the get go.

Jessie find out that she is a Light Tamer, Caleb is one as well, that gives a quick explanation to their instant connection. She is on the light side, there are people on the dark side, they don't get along and the dark side tries to steal the light sides light.

The book felt rushed to me. Many of the explanations were glossed over and didn't answer a whole lot of questions.

This is an interesting premise, I just wish that there could have been a little more time taken to explain and have a relationship develop at a slower pace. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Jul 18, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible