National Geographic Readers: Sea Turtles by…

National Geographic Readers: Sea Turtles

by Laura Marsh

191461,769 (4.63)None

The book is one in a large series of informational texts created by National Geographic Kids. The books range in reading ability; Sea Turtles is a level 2, which equates to a mid-2nd through 3rd grade level. It is full of beautiful photos of various sea turtles in all parts of their life cycle. It also explains harder vocabulary words with "Turtle Terms" inserts, as well as graphic and other small information bites instead of long paragraphs. this makes it also very engaging for older struggling or ELL readers. I would even use it in my 4th grade class to help teach text features. ( )
  TomasJ | Jul 27, 2016 |
This book is filled with real life pictures that help one to visualize the facts shared throughout the book. It is plump full of many facts about sea turtles and their environment. I learned something new! ( )
  Erin_Holte | Apr 26, 2016 |
Summary:
This book informs young children about the many different types of sea turtles found in the ocean today. It goes over some of the basic facts such as the different types, locations and food of each and also introduces the concept of conservation. It reminds children of ways they can help protect sea turtles and ways in which they can help remind others.

My Personal Reaction:
I liked this book mostly because I found out things about sea turtles I never knew. I like that it presents basic facts in a simple way that children will understand and I love that it was a very colorful book helping to keep their attention. I believe conservation of wildlife is a very important concept and I think that by exposing them to it at a young age, it will hopefully make them more sympathetic to the issue and more ready to take action.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We could watch a National Geographic documentary over sea turtles.
2. We could visit an aquarium.
3. We could participate in a beach clean up project. ( )
  JacquelynTorres | Apr 14, 2015 |
Summary: This book informed its audience about sea turtles. It explained the different types of sea turtles, the anatomy, where they live, and it also raised awareness on which ones were extinct.

Personal Reaction: The pictures were wonderful. It had a lot of information, but the author wrote it in a way so that it was each for younger students to understand.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have each student cut out a sea turtle picture. Paste it to a map of the ocean where sea turtles travel-tie in some geography. ( )
  SarahMoore | Apr 14, 2015 |

Presents the life of sea turtles, including where they travel, how they build nests, and what they eat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible