The Departed (MacKinnon Curse, #3) by J.A.…

The Departed (MacKinnon Curse, #3)

by J.A. Templeton

In the first book we saw Riley's abilities growing now her powers have manifested to psychic abilities. She can not only see ghosts but she has prophetic dreams and dreams of the past, she can also tap into peoples minds, but she's too stressed to get her abilities working properly sometimes.

Riley is feeling defeated, she's freaked out by Laria's haunting's and being brave is the last thing on her mind. She continues to deal by cutting, she made promises to not cut but every-time things get difficult she craves the release cutting brings. J.A. Templeton continues to handle this subject with respect and realness.

Laria is trying to come between Riley and her relationships by possessing her friends and family. Riley is afraid for everyone and continues to feel guilty. With the support of her friends, Riley feels stronger and more determined to defeat Laria and once and for all be rid of her.

The creepy factor was turned up trifold in this conclusion of the series. The terror Laria and her dark coven put Riley and her friends through was like hell on earth for them. I felt bad for the abuse Riley had to suffer and hoped she would figure something out to remove Laria and the others from her life. But sometimes I wished she would also try to stop Laria from getting one over on her so many times, to get determined to free herself from the pain and fear. It was obvious that Laria was trying to weaken her so she could do more damage to her, she was so scared she opened the door for more torture from the evil witches. Things had to go from bad to worse before Riley and her very supportive and understanding friends were able to go up against Laria and her coven.

What a riveting series this turned out to be, the ghosts genre is quickly becoming one of my favorites because of good ghost stories like this one. We also learned more about Kade's and Riley's destined love for each other. And why Laria is so hell bent on ruing Riley's life. It was a very full circle conclusion to their story indeed. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
This is book three of the Mackinnon Curse novels. These are all incredibly short reads that I can buzz through in a mere sitting, but it will keep you on the edge of your seat every minute of the ride. As a reluctant horror reader; I was impressed by my captivation to these stories. Our main character, Riley, is an amazingly strong young woman. The display of bravery and strength seen through this terrifying journey was awe worthy. Templeton is talented author that will have you looking over your shoulder while reading her bone chilling tale. The Departed seemed to conclude the current situations surround the Mackinnon Curse which leaves me anxious to see if the future holds more for these well loved characters. If this is the end for the Riley and her friends I felt that it wrapped up nicely, and look forward to seeing more from this highly talented author. ( )
  BookWhisperer | May 27, 2012 |

The life of sixteen-year-old Riley Williams hasn't been the same since she moved to Scotland, met the spirit of Ian MacKinnon and Laria, the witch who murdered him. Since helping Ian cross over to the other side, Riley became Laria's target and now the witch has made it clear she wants Riley dead.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,731,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible