Medium Rare by Kevin Michael

Medium Rare

by Kevin Michael

I really enjoyed this book. It takes you on a journey into the life of one man who moves through jobs in the service industries......pizza delivery, bus boy, waiter, etc. It is so dead on and humorous at the same time. Very well written, with content flowing smoothly and good character depth as well. It will make you laugh but also make you think twice about how you tip your servers. ( )
  CindyHoldmann | Jul 17, 2013 |
Not really impressed.
It read like a whiny, repeative frat boy had wrote it. Same story page after page after page. Ugh !
**** Won this in exchange for a review( ( )
  ginger72 | May 28, 2013 |
It is always nice to know what the "little people" go through to give a customer what they want. This short story shows just how hard and unrewarding life in the restaurant business can be. You bust your but for little money and no recognition. When you finally move us to a cushier position, it may be just as brain deadening as the grunge work.

Nice quick read, wonderful insight. ( )
  lizamichelle1 | Jul 6, 2012 |
This book was not my cup of tea. I love reading about food and the food industry, but this was a little too colloquial and not very polished. The scenarios and dialogue I found repetitive and overly aggressive. I was not expecting sophistication but I didn't expect what amounts to a venting blog in book form.

However, there are some that enjoy this type of writing, and if you enjoy a light read and are not put off by crass situations or language, hey, more power to you- you might enjoy this; and that's ok even if I personally didn't.
I received this ebook in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ilex011 | Jun 27, 2012 |

I've been a busboy, dishwasher, baker, barista, cashier, and pizza delivery driver. I've lived through the highs and lows of the restaurant business. I've cleaned up dead rats, watched cooks screw with people's food, heard tales of walk in cooler blow jobs, and delivered pizzas to S&M parlors. I've also seen far too many man boobs for any one delivery driver to stomach. Now after fifteen years as a culinary underdog, I'm ready to tell my story--good tips and bad.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kevin Michael's book Medium Rare (My Life As A Culinary Underdog) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,063,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible