She's Gotta Be Mine by Jennifer Skully
    One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1) by Janet Evanovich (Familiar_Diversions)
    Familiar_Diversions: First in a series that also has snappy writing, kooky characters, and a love triangle.
    Fast Women by Jennifer Crusie (Familiar_Diversions)
    Familiar_Diversions: Similar mix of romance, mystery, humor, and women's fiction feel. Also, stars an older-than-the-norm heroine who has to rethink her life after a divorce.

Roberta's husband dumps her for the high school sweet heart that she helped him find. So she reinvents herself and moves to his new town to prove to herself (and him) that she is still desirable. Bobbie (her new name) becomes a waitress, is torn between the town sheriff and the town serial killer and looks for the murder of the high school girlfriend's husband.

This was a great sexy/funny mystery story. The plot was kind of predictable but I was definitely laughing a ton so I didn't really mind. It was a fun light vacation read which is what I was looking for. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
oh dear, I just read (August 30, 2012) and am not sure how to rate so will leave it up to you to form your own opinion. On the plus side, it absolutely did not read like a freebie and had some funny moments. The whole setup was pretty silly with everyone under-reacting to a marriage breaking up and doing implausible things. I did overall enjoy.

I mentally made a drinking game of taking a shot every time her butt was mentioned or admired, two shots for when she was doing the admiring, and three shots if author used a synonym for butt (she slipped exactly once and referred to as "bottom"; after counting more than 50 butt references was afraid to really start drinking). Author had character dwell way too much on her assets.

I tend not to find small town nastiness an enjoyable read even if some of the gossiping was funny. The sex scenes, while not bad at all, felt like were part of a completely different story and were slow to show up (possibly from the erotica and erotic paranormal mysteries author writes under pseudonym). Slow to show up, vavoom , then back to regular story style—I liked the romance and even the sex scenes but did not flow well. Briefly, I thought I might have another game going of how often she mentioned "clitoris" but that did quit repeating.

So guess this is one to judge for yourself; at least it was free (actually touted as being number one on freebie lists).
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
This was one of my freebie downloads from a couple years ago, although it looks like it's no longer free. It was better than I expected it to be, but I was not the right audience for it.

Roberta Jones Spivey is upset. Warren, her husband of fifteen years, has left her for Cookie, the high school sweetheart he never got over. Roberta is forty years old and has felt unloved and unattractive for years, and this is the last straw. She decides to remake herself as Bobbie, a sexy and adventurous redhead, follow Warren to the small town of Cottonmouth, California, and show him what he's missing.

Bobbie gets herself a job as a waitress, learns about the locals and their complicated relationships and histories, and flirts with both Nick, a supposed serial killer, and Brax, the sheriff. Everything's going great until she starts to wonder what it is she's really trying to accomplish. Then someone turns up murdered, and Bobbie, afraid that the wrong person will be blamed, starts asking everyone uncomfortable questions.

The writing was snappy, fun, and made me think of Janet Evanovich and some of my favorite Jennifer Crusie books. This would probably be a nice book for those tired of heroines who are in their twenties or early thirties. Bobbie was somewhat disappointing, at first, completely oblivious to the fact that, new hair color, job, and house aside, she hadn't yet managed to break free of Warren's influence. However, she did grow.

I really don't think I was the right audience for this book, though. There were things that made me grit my teeth. A couple examples:

“Things like this [getting hired as a waitress because customers like her butt] just didn’t happen in the city. Sexual harassment was a dirty word. A man wasn't allowed to look at a woman below the neck. A woman couldn't admit she wanted to be stared at like a sex object." (32)

“Warren never understood how sex made a woman feel...feminine. It was integral to the gender. Oh, she could hear all the naysayers, the feminists, the careerists. Bottom line was, sex with Nick had made her feel special again.” (181)

I don't consider “feminist” to be a bad word. Sexual harassment is a real thing. And I was uncomfortable with the way things like antidepressants and domestic violence were presented. It seemed like the only effect Warren's antidepressants had on him was to kill his sex drive (or at least that was the only effect Bobbie cared about), and, yes, Cookie was a snake, but I still didn't like Bobbie dismissing out of hand her claims that her husband was abusing her.

Beyond that, the pacing was odd. The murder, which I included in my description to keep the book from sounding like plain old small town women's fiction with a dash of romance, didn't happen until a little over halfway through. By that time, I had almost forgotten that the official description had mentioned a mystery element.

Things ended on a rosier note than was believable. Cottonmouth felt like it was dying. The local businesses couldn't afford to pay their employees more than minimum wage or give them benefits, couldn't buy new inventory until they sold the old, and wouldn't take credit cards. From the sounds of things, most of their customers were going to have to come from out of town, because hardly anyone in town could afford to buy from them on a regular basis. Bobbie pouring all her money into opening her own business there seemed like a massively bad idea.

All in all, this wasn't too bad. I'd have liked it more if it hadn't smacked me in the face so much with things that annoyed me.

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Mar 29, 2015 |
This was a great read. I loved Bobbie and her determination to fix everything so she could be happy. No wallowing, all action and independence. She knows what she wants and no one can get in her way. Although, perhaps she could develop a little judgement... but then the book wouldn't be so much fun. ( )
  Perrywilson | May 24, 2014 |

From Amazon.com:

Sex and the Serial Killer (2005)
Who'd Have Thought an Ordinary Housewife Could Hook a Serial Killer. . .

When her husband of fifteen ears deserts her for his married high school sweetheart, Roberta Jones Spivey changes her looks, shortens her name and follows her soon-to-be ex. He'll be sorry he left when the newly svelte Bobbie Jones moves into town!

So what if Bobbie ends up with an alleged serial killer for a next-door neighbor? She seriously doubts that the very handsome Nick Angel is anything more than a misunderstood bad boy, but there's no denying that sex with an alleged serial sounds risky. . .exciting. . .just the thing the new Bobbie Jones would do. . . .

She's Gotta Be Mine (2011)

If you missed it the first time around, KOD Daphne winner “Sex and the Serial Killer” is back with a new title, “She’s Gotta Be Mine”, and a slight text revamp.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible