Dark Tidings by Ken Magee

Dark Tidings

by Ken Magee

Dark Tidings: Ancient Magic Meets the Internet Book 1 starts with a quote by David Rockefeller. It a hilarious fairy tale for adults about an ancient magical spell, the all powerful spell, the “Spell Spell” (sort of like homo Sapiens Sapiens).
The story consists of 63 short chapters and is told from the perspective of a medieval teenage thief by the name of Tung, and Michael, a modern day 21 year old IT techie/hacker. ... Book Review: Down at the End of the River By Angus Woodward | Katarina Nolte
https://katarinanolte.com/WordPressBlog/2013/08/book-review-down-at-the-end-of-the-river-by-angus-woodward/ ( )
  KatarinaNolte | Aug 20, 2015 |
I got this book, from Making Connections for free, in exchange for an honest review. Get your copy here.

What I liked:
the beginning-it was fun and made me want to read ahead.
the humor-it was light and done well. Tung's name and his butchering of the modern slang were all funny.
the concept this book was based upon was quite interesting.

What I didn't like:
there's such a thing as oversimplifying things-I may have liked it in other books but it bothered me in this one.
the chapters constantly ended with "if x had known what y was doing, he may have been worried" and that got old after a while.

Maybe it wasn't my kinda book but it may be yours, so give it a try. ( )
1 vote MiduHadi | Jul 5, 2015 |
Title: Dark Tidings
Author: Ken Magee
Copyright: 2011
Publisher: Ragged Cover Publishing
ISBN: 978-1-908090-2-25
In paperback and e-book

“Dark Tidings” is a unique look at the haves and the have-nots throughout time. This book is also the first of two, in a trilogy, that the author entitles “Ancient Magic Meets the Internet.”
Ken’s sense of humor puts his medieval characters in some bizarre and hilarious situations. Their bumbling is slapstick at times. However, this story brings light to the ongoing struggle of the average Joe to get a fair shake from the super wealthy that run the world. The author gives us a look at the dark and powerful few behind a millennium of evil.
Enter the travel through time where our medieval duo, Tung and Maddrick, are catapulted into the twenty-first century. There they meet our uber-hacker, Michael. The result of this strange friendship and collaboration will leave readers in stitches.

This book is a fun read for young adults, their parents, and grandparents. It is good clean fun. I highly recommend this book and give it five stars. Well done, Ken Magee. This review was done from the kindle version.

Reviewed by Jackie Anton…author of the Award Winning “Backyard Horse Tales” series. ( )
1 vote | BackyardHorse | Jun 15, 2013 |
Tung is in the king's dungeon waiting for his punishment, but then Madrick, the King's disgraced wizard, is thrown into his cell. Thus begins Dark Tidings. As the book continues, we also meet Michael, a computer expert who is about to begin his personal war against a corrupt bank.

Luckily for Tung, Madrick has a very special spell scroll which has helped him in the past. This scroll is a very special spell scroll in that it produces random spells for the wizard to use. Unfortunately for Madrick, the last spell it creates takes away Madrick's spell-casting abilities; however, fortunately for Tung - it can be passed on to a new owner. Thus begins the adventure!

Using the scroll, they are then able to escape their fate. However, rival wizards find out that Madrick and Tung have the fabled scroll and start to chase them so that they can have the scroll. They are also pursued by the Kings men. Without giving too much away, they use a random spell which sends them into the future where they meet with Michael.

The book is a great mix of comedy and adventure! A fun read indeed. The book has a nice complex mythology and some very interesting twists and turns as the story progresses. I definitely would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys comic fantasy! ( )
1 vote slimy07 | Nov 19, 2012 |

Ken Magee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,467,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible