Civil War by Stuart Moore

Civil War

by Stuart Moore

I had already read all the Marvel Civil War graphic novel collections when I discovered Graphic Audio's production. I was looking for upcoming Marvel releases when this popped up.

I don't normally listen to audio books because I can read so much faster. However, the ones I have enjoyed have had full casts, like this one. GraphicAudio also uses sound effects to enhance the story. I found it to be more like a radio show than "a movie in your mind," mainly because of the substantial use of a narrator. The audience can't see the characters, so there is a lot of description of what people look like or are doing to set the stage. The voice actors are all very good, and I had no trouble differentiating between the various characters. The story flowed smoothly.

The full event encompasses 7 large hardcovers, so naturally a lot has been cut. Still, the adaptation is surprisingly faithful to the main event itself. Most of the cuts come from the tie-in material. Just as is the case with most book-to-film adaptations, the book is better. However, this audio production is excellent and a nice companion - even for those who have already read the graphic novels. I loved hearing the tone of voice when the characters were conversing; something you don't get with printed stories. At nearly six hours, this is a great option for long road trips. The story is a bit dark, so probably not good for the younger set but certainly teens and adults should enjoy it. Overall, this was very entertaining and I will definitely buy more titles from Graphic Audio, in particular the Marvel titles. ( )
  jshillingford | Apr 14, 2014 |
I don't read comics or graphic novels so I'm not overly familiar with the happenings in the original formats and cannot judge this novel in relation to them. However, as a stand alone novel this was a very well thought out and executed story.
The story revolves around the introduction of a government act that requires all those with super powers to register with the government and to reveal their real identities. Iron Man is all for this and Captain America is completely against it. Various superheros pick their allegiance, with some changing sides as the story progresses, with the main crux of the story revolving around Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man and The Fantastic Four...although The Thing is really only a peripheral figure.
I have to say that I couldn't put this novel down once I had picked it up...that's the last time I use crazy glue before reading a book! In all seriousness this is a page turner and once I got into the storyline I was engrossed enough to finish the whole novel in one day.
I'm hoping there's a sequel in the works as there are a few loose ends that could easily make another novel such as the X-Men's role in this whole deal (they are only mentioned a couple of times in passing and play no part in the novel other than brief appearances by Wolverine at the beginning and Storm at the end) and what becomes of the characters whose stories hinted at further things to come.
All in all this is a great read for anyone who is a fan of Marvel prose novels. ( )
  BookMarcBlogpants | May 28, 2012 |

SPIDER-MAN IRON MAN
CAPTAIN AMERICA THE FANTASTIC FOUR

THE EPIC STORY THAT BLOWS THE MARVEL UNIVERSE APART!
Iron Man and Captain America: two core members of the Avengers, the world's greatest super hero team. When a tragic battle blows a hole in the city of Stamford, killing hundreds of people, the U.S. government demands that all super heroes unmask and register their powers. To Tony Stark - Iron Man - it's a regrettable but necessary step. To Captain America, it's an unbearable assault on civil liberties.

SO BEGINS THE CIVIL WAR

"Captain America and Iron Man: two cornerstones of the Avengers, the world's most powerful super hero team. They've fought side by side, stopped deadly threats to the entire planet, and become close friends. No more. A tragic super human battle blows a hole straight through the center of Stamford, Connecticut, killing hundreds of people. The U.S. government responds swiftly, demanding that all super heroes--and villains--unmask and register their powers. To Tony Stark, Iron Man, it's a regrettable but necessary step. He volunteers to oversee the registration process. But to Captain America, registration is an unbearable assault on civil liberties. He goes rogue, forming his own band of rebel super heroes, who vow to operate outside the law. The result: a Civil War among the super human community. Spider-Man's loyalties are torn, his world ripped apart by Iron Man's new world order. The Invisible Woman, a founding member of the Fantastic Four, finds herself increasingly estranged from her husband, Mister Fantastic. Before the war is over, a hero will die, and the loyalties of every super human in the Marvel Universe will be tested to the limit. CIVIL WAR, the graphic novel, was hailed as "a must read for Marvel fans" (Cinegeek). This new adaptation updates and expands the original story for Marvel fans and new readers alike. Join the greatest heroes of the Marvel Universe on an emotional, action-packed journey, from the first colorful punch to the final, shocking twist"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,720,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible