Morris the Moose Goes to School by Bernard…

Morris the Moose Goes to School (1970)

by Bernard Wiseman

Other authors: Syd Hoff (Illustrator)

Series: Morris and Boris (3), I Can Read Books (Level 1)

1,193216,721 (3.99)2
Recently added by01mhoover, bacoff, Jane.G.Reyna, meadhallschool, AQuilling, private library, leggettr96, AlisaA

I liked this book because of the language and the illustrations. The story was about a moose named Morris who wanted to buy gum drops, but did not know how to count or read, so the candy store owner sent him to school. Morris had questions for almost everything, and had a lot to learn. I like the writing because there were many uses of idioms. For example when the teacher was naming the letters of the alphabet Morris became scared when she said the letter B, he said, “Where is the bee? I’m afraid of bees! They sting!” Also, during the arithmetic lesson the teacher asked the class “What comes after eight?” Morris responded by saying, “bedtime!” I feel that the plot is logical because this story could be realistic if only Morris was not a moose. I really enjoyed the illustrations because they were colorful and represented each part of the story. For example on page 30, the author is describing what each child is having for lunch. Next to each sentence is a picture of the food that is being described, such as a sandwich and a hamburger. The story also involves mini lessons in it including counting and spelling. At one point in the story Morris became upset because he was not able to count to ten, since he has hooves instead of hands. His teacher kindly encouraged Morris to use his antlers and his hooves, and he was then able to count up to twelve. Also, when Morris had to go to the bathroom he accidentally went into the girl’s room because he could not read. Seeing that Morris was upset, his teacher then changed the bathroom sign to read “Boy’s and Moose.” I thought that it was really kind of his teacher to be so accepting and that she included Morris in all of the day’s activities.
I feel that the overall idea of this book is to remind readers of the importance of school and getting an education. At first Morris was unable to buy gum drops since he could not count his money. When he was able to learn how to count, he was then able to purchase his candy! This book teaches readers that school can help prepare anyone (even a moose) for everyday life. In school we learn all kinds of things, and even that using our fingers to count, can help us in real-life situations. ( )
  ecahan1 | Apr 24, 2015 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 13, 2014 |
In the book Morris Goes To School by B. Wiseman, Morris, who is a moose, wants to buy some candy and he accidentally goes into the store that says "fish" because he does not know how to read. So the man at the fish store directs him across the street to the candy store. Morris goes in and says he wants gum drops but cannot correctly count his money, so the man shows him to the school where he can go and learn. Morris goes to school and learns some basic things like ABCs and how to count using his hoofs and antlers. Then after his day at school he goes back to the candy store and this time he knows how to correctly count his money.

I really enjoyed this book. I think it is a good book for children to read because it shows them that no matter whom you are you can learn just like everybody else.

An extension for this book could be to have the children tell you what their favorite thing is that they have learned that day at school.
You could also have the children draw a picture that resembles their favorite subject in school. ( )
  Js126863 | Jul 8, 2014 |
A great story for a child learning how to read. There is a lot of alliteration (Morris the Moose) as well as repetition to help build reading skills. A nice, simple story with basic illustrations to go along.
  Tvickrey | Mar 11, 2014 |
My niece demanded I read this book again and again. She loved the story of a sweet, bumbling moose attending what appears to be a kindergarten classroom. The writing is simple and easy to read, the illustrations straight-forward and adorable. The tone is gently humorous and kind of sweetly old-fashioned. ( )
  BrittaSorensen | Dec 4, 2013 |

Wiseman, Bernardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoff, SydIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morris the Moose Goes to School [Original title: Morris Goes to School)

Morris the moose can't count gumdrops, so he decides to go to school. He is thrilled after a day in the classroom—he can finally count candy. Now he can buy gumdrops!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:52 -0400)

Morris the moose has an exciting day in school learning the alphabet, counting, singing, spelling, and doing other things that make him a unique moose.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,754,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible